[4.0 HF3] SETA inconsistence

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Oloka
x4

[4.0 HF3] SETA inconsistence

Post by Oloka » Mon, 10. May 21, 13:38

SETA does not work when one is trying to fly a ship using an autopilot - it starts and immediately disengage.
SETA is working all the time when one is just a pilot of not flying ship.

Question is why SETA is working in case I am just a pilot of a stationary ship but stops to work when I want to fly somewhere. Can someone explain, please?

I do not think a save file is needed - I believe behaviour is a common thing, if you want me to add a save file - just let me know.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [4.0 HF3] SETA inconsistence

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 10. May 21, 13:54

Think of SETA as something designed for working in your personal ship to cure your boredom when waiting for things to happen. In effect it just slows down your brain and doesn't actually speed up your ship or affect global time since everything else appears to speed up by the same amount, not just your ship.

Given that, it is designed so that every time you give a ship control input it disengages as you really don't want to be steering your ship while half asleep.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Oloka
x4

Post by Oloka » Mon, 10. May 21, 14:27

Is it the official answer? Because I can still use SETA partially when I am flying a ship - all depends how often I press SETA activation keys.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 10. May 21, 16:06

The only 'official' answers are ones from Egosoft devs, but I don't quite see how your second post and additional information is related to the issue description in the opening post. More information and decription would be useful.

When do you see partial piloting control under SETA permitted, how does the number of SETA key presses directly affect things, and what is happening to change things between such key presses?

Oloka
x4

Post by Oloka » Mon, 10. May 21, 16:56

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 16:06
I don't quite see how your second post and additional information is related to the issue description in the opening post. More information and decription would be useful.

When do you see partial piloting control under SETA permitted, how does the number of SETA key presses directly affect things, and what is happening to change things between such key presses?
well, SETA inconsistency is there:
1) I assume you have the SETA
2) enable autopilot to whatever place - preferably a distance place (a different sector ?) so you can see a difference
2a) Autopilot is working and you are flying using it.
3) while you are flying go to the map and zoom out enough (so you can see some other ships flying around to compare a speed)
4) press SETA key to enable it - you will see that pressing SETA key is causing 'things' to be faster

I think it is important to have an official answer - in X3 game it was possible to use SETA while flying, now it seems to be partially working/not consistent - either SETA can be used while flying or not. If I would be prohibited to use something in the game then I believe it should be clear I can't use it. Now I can enable SETA, things go faster - why is it not working fully?

Please let me know if above description requires some additional explanation, thanks.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 10. May 21, 19:24

Something to check please: - Does being in the map disable your ship speed and steering controls? If so then that is why SETA is not being broken. Any small ship control input you make while in actual steering/speed control may be enough to break SETA - that could even be a tiny little input due to poor calibration or deadzones of some input device. Just a theory though.

Oloka
x4

Post by Oloka » Mon, 10. May 21, 21:28

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 10. May 21, 19:24
Something to check please: - Does being in the map disable your ship speed and steering controls? If so then that is why SETA is not being broken. Any small ship control input you make while in actual steering/speed control may be enough to break SETA - that could even be a tiny little input due to poor calibration or deadzones of some input device. Just a theory though.
I think you misunderstood me a bit and you assumed too much :) Thanks to your questions I now know more about X4. Let me explain.

Your query about the map - being there was just to see things better cos you can zoom out and see more objects (and compare things better?) ...but ... I think this does not matter any more - thanks to your question I realised that SETA is working during a normal flight ( :roll: )...except flying using autopilot (I am using it too often probably). Eventually the issue is about autopilot and SETA - SETA is not working with autopilot, is it intended?

Thanks again for your good questions.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”