Game freezes every few minutes - Fix in a future build.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

miagiaxp
x4

Game freezes every few minutes - Fix in a future build.

Post by miagiaxp » Fri, 7. May 21, 16:56

I am a couple hundred hours into my gameplay. Created a vast empire, have completed all the plots, and was about to begin taking over the universe....but one thing is hampering me.....the game itself.

Randomly, the game will stop responding, everything freezes up. Can take up to 30 seconds, and can happen multiple times in a row. After about two or 3 pauses, it is fine for another 15 minutes to an hour, then again it hits. Over and over.

My specs are:

Ryzen 3600x

Asus x570 Tuf Gaming (wifi)

32gb Ram (G.Skill Trident Neo)

Sapphire Pulse 5700xt

Game and OS are on 2 seperate M.2 drives. 1tb Sabrent Rockets.

I have updated and rolled back video drivers, and updated all my chipset and audio drivers. I dont know whats making it "hiccup" the way it is, but it is extremely frustrating. I have also verified all files through steam. Any help tracking it down would be appreciated. Thanks!

Game is totally vanilla, never modded. Only have 8 outstanding maintenance missions and the terraforming mission.

Waltz99
x4

Re: Game freezes every few minutes

Post by Waltz99 » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:07

I'm not sure this will help you but it did help me a lot so its worth a try.

my game stopped freezing when I have set the volumetric fog to a lower setting.
This seem to have a bad influence on the gameplay.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:12

Please provide the information requested at the top of the forum, specifically the DXDiag and vulkaninfo files. A brief summary of your system specifications is not a good substitute for these, I'm afraid.

The freezes could be caused by the game itself, in which case we'd need a savegame that demonstrates it, preferably one made shortly before one of those freezes - tricky, I know, but it will make a big difference to our chances of solving the problem. Alternatively, though in this case probably relatively unlikely, they could be caused by something outside the game. It's always worth checking if you have something running at intervals on your PC.

Oh, and one silly thing to check. Are you sure these "freezes" aren't just the auto-save kicking in? If you have the map open, you can't see the message, but if you don't then it should be visible on-screen. If in doubt, try just turning the auto-save off for a bit.

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:42

Waltz99 wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 17:07
I'm not sure this will help you but it did help me a lot so its worth a try.

my game stopped freezing when I have set the volumetric fog to a lower setting.
This seem to have a bad influence on the gameplay.
Unfortunately no. I could be sitting in a station, managing my fleets and builds, without flying or in a system with fog, and it still happens.

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Fri, 7. May 21, 17:45

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 17:12
Please provide the information requested at the top of the forum, specifically the DXDiag and vulkaninfo files. A brief summary of your system specifications is not a good substitute for these, I'm afraid.

The freezes could be caused by the game itself, in which case we'd need a savegame that demonstrates it, preferably one made shortly before one of those freezes - tricky, I know, but it will make a big difference to our chances of solving the problem. Alternatively, though in this case probably relatively unlikely, they could be caused by something outside the game. It's always worth checking if you have something running at intervals on your PC.

Oh, and one silly thing to check. Are you sure these "freezes" aren't just the auto-save kicking in? If you have the map open, you can't see the message, but if you don't then it should be visible on-screen. If in doubt, try just turning the auto-save off for a bit.
Cbj,

Thanks for the response good sir.

I never thought about the autosave, but I could have swore it said autosave in the map screen, I remember seeing it often. I will double check later, and get you all the relevant infor and files after work.

And a save right before it happens is easy, as it happens all the time. Just leave the map screen open for about 10 minutes and it happens.

I will first test without autosave when I get home, then will report back.

Thank you!

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Sat, 8. May 21, 04:25

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 7. May 21, 17:12

Turned off autosave, it still does it. Attached is a link to dxdiag, vulkaninfo and a save (which the freeze occurs 5 minutes later approximately). I was working in the map building a station, when it occurred.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/orgsaeoqnb6k ... r4Pva?dl=0
Last edited by miagiaxp on Mon, 10. May 21, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Sat, 8. May 21, 04:39

and just to clarify, it happens in map mode, build mode, flying around, and logistical overview. Doesn't matter.

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Mon, 10. May 21, 14:30

I have attempted to add exemptions to malwarebytes and windows defender, it still freezes up for 10-30 seconds. I was hoping that would help. added another save which the freeze occurs only a few minutes later.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/orgsaeoqnb6k ... r4Pva?dl=0

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 11. May 21, 10:37

Thanks for the report. This was a very odd issue that I can't say we've seen before. It will be fixed in the next patch. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to relieve the problem in the current version without modifying your game. If we think of something, we'll let you know.

Just so you know, it's due to an epic battle between a Xenon I and a Trinity Odysseus in Hewa's Twin II. If you blow up the Xenon I, it'll fix the stutter, but the issue is that it's gone on for so long they seem to have wandered 2000km away, below the sector.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

indomeus
x4

Post by indomeus » Tue, 11. May 21, 11:43

Hello,

I had a similar issue which I posted a week ago with save game but I never got a concluding answer.

Could you check if something similar is happening in my save game?

I did keep playing painfully, but it is starting to become really cumbersone. I can re-upload an updated save file if you want tonight.

Kind Regards

Indomeus

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Tue, 11. May 21, 12:42

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 10:37
Thanks for the report. This was a very odd issue that I can't say we've seen before. It will be fixed in the next patch. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to relieve the problem in the current version without modifying your game. If we think of something, we'll let you know.

Just so you know, it's due to an epic battle between a Xenon I and a Trinity Odysseus in Hewa's Twin II. If you blow up the Xenon I, it'll fix the stutter, but the issue is that it's gone on for so long they seem to have wandered 2000km away, below the sector.
You guys at egosoft are the real MVP. Thanks!

Time to go hunting

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Game freezes every few minutes - Fix in a future build.

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Tue, 11. May 21, 14:36

As I've done in indomeus's report, here's a screenshot of where they are in relation to the map. Head down until you're around 2150km from your satellite and you should spot them.
Attachments
HewasTwin_Xenon.jpg
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Tue, 11. May 21, 20:18

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 14:36
As I've done in indomeus's report, here's a screenshot of where they are in relation to the map. Head down until you're around 2150km from your satellite and you should spot them.
You guys rock. I am soooo going to hunt that pain down......lol.

Seriously you just saved my game if it's true. Will report back after I send him back to his maker.

miagiaxp
x4

Post by miagiaxp » Wed, 12. May 21, 00:43

Xenon_Slayer wrote:
Tue, 11. May 21, 14:36
It worked! Thank you so much!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”