[CoH] X4 seems to be crashing Steam on exiting the game.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gregorovitch
x4

[CoH] X4 seems to be crashing Steam on exiting the game.

Post by Gregorovitch » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:59

I can't find anything about this, if it's a known issue please move this to another report etc. If it's just me I'd like any leads on what the problem might be.

I've noticed that on exiting X4 Task Manager is telling me that Steam is churning away using from 10-12% on my CPU capacity for about a minute or so before crashing. Normally the Steam app is using about 0.1% when in the background after game exit like this. If I try to open Steam immediately on exiting sometimes it will open but then will grey over after a few seconds and report that it is not responding, then it usually crashes (although occasionally I've noticed it fixes itself and returns to normal). Rebooting Steam brings it back OK.

The other two games I'm playing at the moment, Wasteland 3 and Shadow Empire, do not do this and I've never seen it before. Something looks wrong here. TBH I can't be absolutely sure when this started happening but at a guess I would say it's subsequent to CoH release. I think I've had two W10 updates recently so I'm wondering if it might have something to do with that.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [CoH] X4 seems to be crashing Steam on exiting the game.

Post by CBJ » Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:59

There have been reported cases of the game crashing on exit, but it's not a common issue for unmodified installations. Is your game modified at all?

Edit: According to this thread, reinstalling may help.

slober
x4

Post by slober » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 06:36

Gregorovitch wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 21:59
I can't find anything about this, if it's a known issue please move this to another report etc. If it's just me I'd like any leads on what the problem might be.

I've noticed that on exiting X4 Task Manager is telling me that Steam is churning away using from 10-12% on my CPU capacity for about a minute or so before crashing. Normally the Steam app is using about 0.1% when in the background after game exit like this. If I try to open Steam immediately on exiting sometimes it will open but then will grey over after a few seconds and report that it is not responding, then it usually crashes (although occasionally I've noticed it fixes itself and returns to normal). Rebooting Steam brings it back OK.

The other two games I'm playing at the moment, Wasteland 3 and Shadow Empire, do not do this and I've never seen it before. Something looks wrong here. TBH I can't be absolutely sure when this started happening but at a guess I would say it's subsequent to CoH release. I think I've had two W10 updates recently so I'm wondering if it might have something to do with that.
If you turn off `keep games saves in the Steam Cloud` for X4 it should help.
I noticed this issue on the Steam side with synchronisation of save files.
I had the same problem before. After a few updates from the Steam this issue Is solved and last few days everything is ok.

Oloka
x4

Post by Oloka » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 09:15

I have the same issue since a few days. Turning off Steam cloud is not a solution but rather a workaround - I would prefer to have my savefiles backup. I checked what is currently in the cloud and apparently most recent savefiles are not uploaded to Steam cloud but for instance userdata.xml is. Additionally Steam is not able to sync back all saves in case I removed all my local save files - only a few files are restored. And my game is not modified. Cheers.

Maebius

Post by Maebius » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 10:24

I can confirm that if I have steam completely minimized (visible only in the icon bar), it always crashes while exiting X4 (I have cloud saves off for X4, since they're way too big, so that's not it).

Nothing modified on my end. Happened even today. Playing X4 as borderless window and Steam Client is up-to-date.

If immediately after exiting X4, I open steam (from the taskbar icons), it seems ok. However on the task manager it looks like it's using substantial CPU resources.
If I "close" Steam (to the icon bar) again, it never reopens and after a while disappears from the icons.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 13:02

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:59
There have been reported cases of the game crashing on exit, but it's not a common issue for unmodified installations. Is your game modified at all?

Nah, no mods at all here, never have been.

OK, it looks like a full X4 re-install might fix it. I'll try that when I get round to it and report back.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 13:07

slober wrote:
Thu, 22. Apr 21, 06:36

If you turn off `keep games saves in the Steam Cloud` for X4 it should help.
It's not that, I always have cloud sync turned off and I just checked, it's off for X4.

chip56

Post by chip56 » Thu, 22. Apr 21, 13:50

Yeah X4 crashes my steam too. I do play modded though and my cloud saves are off because i thought that they might just be too big. However thats not the case, disabling them does not change the fact that steam crashes. Other games dont crash steam.

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Fri, 23. Apr 21, 20:37

Just to confirm, uninstalling and reinstalling the game appears to have fixed this problem.

Oloka
x4

Post by Oloka » Sat, 24. Apr 21, 07:43

Yep, it helped me too.

Maebius

Post by Maebius » Tue, 27. Apr 21, 11:57

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 21. Apr 21, 22:59

Reinstalling the game fixed it, at least for now.

If you want a steam.exe crash dump file, let me know, I have several but don't want to share them in a post here.

Weirdly, the crashes seem to have started the day when I switched to borderless window (I used to play full screen), but that might just be my mind looking for a pattern.

Oloka
x4

Post by Oloka » Tue, 27. Apr 21, 13:31

Weirdly, the crashes seem to have started the day when I switched to borderless window (I used to play full screen), but that might just be my mind looking for a pattern.
I was thinking it started when I replaced one of my original saves with one from other player reporting some issue I was interesting about :)

Gregorovitch
x4

Post by Gregorovitch » Mon, 10. May 21, 14:51

OK, so it's started happening again. There is obviously some sort of "progressive" disorder going on here.

It appears to be worse now, too. It freezes my whole machine while Steam tries to sort itself out. It's obviously Steam that's doing it, but what Steam is doing is a direct result of closing down X4, no question, it doesn't happen with any other game.

This is a big nuisance since it appears to require a complete reinstall of the game every two weeks or so to deal with. Needs to be looked at urgently IMHO.

MrUp
x4

Crashing upon exit - I think I found a good workaround

Post by MrUp » Tue, 11. May 21, 00:42

I also want my save games sync'd with the cloud... I plan to use my laptop when travelling.

Here is what I did today:
Before I launched X4, I right clicked my internet connection (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) and selected 'Disable'.
This means I was off the network. When I launched the game, WOW the splash screen appeared FAST and I selected my last "save"

After I played for awhile, I saved my game and selected 'Exit to Desktop'... WOW, fast exit.

I then right clicked my internet connection and enabled my network card again.
I switched over to the Steam Client and noticed X4 was syncing my save file with the cloud.
\o/

Yeah, it would be nice if everything worked without disabling network, but until/if it's better than this, I'll keep doing this.
Cheers
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.” ― douglas adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”