Data corruption on map and large station build screen - Devs on the case.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lazerius
x4

Data corruption on map and large station build screen - Devs on the case.

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 17:26

- 4.0 HF3 English
- Vanilla
- Young Gun I think

------------
Hello,

I've had a similar issue twice in the past where if I'm in sector and looking at one of my super shipyards (Either Company Regard or Faulty Logic I), my map freaks out, causing it to go bright colors and unusable. Currently it's only Company Regard doing this.

Pic: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... ABA2BB6DF/

Typically when it does this, anywhere I am in the galaxy, If I go in to modify that big station, it appears to be impacted by data/memory corruption, and I'm unable to navigate the station building screen or do much of anything. This time it is a bit different though, because I'm able to modify both my Wharf and Shipyard in Company Regard normally, but my megastation in Faulty Logic is doing it (though I didn't get the bright map colors when I go to that sector and look at that one on screen).

Faulty Logic I Build Screen: https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 7865B67AF/

Last time I experienced this in Company Regard, support was able to narrow the cause down to several of my patrol ships in a different, random sector continuing to gain attack orders without clearing out the previous ones, building hundreds/thousands of orders in queue, causing what I assume was memory leak/corruption. Once I cleared out the orders, things went back to normal.

Since the bright/flashing screen seems to be happening only while I'm in Grand Exchange, I'm wondering if it's not because of my recent military buildup there. I currently have plans to press into Scale Plate Green to clear out the Xenons so I can do the terraforming mission. I moved my invasion fleet to Company Regard, with about 5 additional recently built and loaded Raptors, so we're talking an additional 1000 or so ships in zone compared to normal. Building up these extra fleets as well as building all the additional Large miners required to gather Silicon after the 4.0 changes, I've recently broken 7,000 player owned ships in my game.

I tried looking through the xml save file, but as it's over 1.13 GB of code uncompressed, and I don't have a way to easily narrow down the cause to assist more with the root cause for the problem.

Link to save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/efb87o7ak7evq ... ml.gz?dl=0
------------

- Can Provide DXDiag/Vulkan this evening if needed, but happening on 2 different systems.

Thanks,
All your Hyperion Vanguards are belong to us.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Data corruption on map and large station build screen

Post by CBJ » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 17:28

We're aware of the issue, and it's simply a case of the system having too many things to draw (opening the map makes this a lot worse!). We're working on finding a way to deal with that more gracefully.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 18:32

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 17:28
We're aware of the issue, and it's simply a case of the system having too many things to draw (opening the map makes this a lot worse!). We're working on finding a way to deal with that more gracefully.
Ok great! So for time being should removing those extra ships from the Company Regard take care of the map problem? Or should I just give it a try and hope for the best? :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 18:40

This shouldn't have anything to do with order queues or a few ships. It's not a memory leak. The problem is simply with rendering the very large numbers of objects that are usually associated with enormous stations. When the map is open they have to do it twice over, once for the map and once for the real object. As soon as you close the map again, things should be fine.

Lazerius
x4

Post by Lazerius » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 19:25

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 18:40
This shouldn't have anything to do with order queues or a few ships. It's not a memory leak. The problem is simply with rendering the very large numbers of objects that are usually associated with enormous stations. When the map is open they have to do it twice over, once for the map and once for the real object. As soon as you close the map again, things should be fine.
I double checked my past ticket and you're correct, I misremembered. The orders continually building was causing a game crash, rather than the station issue.

The station issue has happened twice (This being number 3), and you guys were able to fix it twice... Obviously not ideal for it to repeat again, but I don't expect I'll need to adjust the faulty logic station where it's currently occurring anytime soon. (I'm scared to add anything else to it when it does work, lol).

The yellow/green map issue though, which I only see when I'm looking at the company regard stations where it happens, is more annoying to me at the moment. It just started happening within the past few days. The defense station where I'm parked in that save is my "home base" to overlook the shipyard and wharf for window eye candy.

You say "a few ships" but I'd guess this is around 800 ships added to the already existing 1000 or so ships I keep in that zone. I'm still hoping this stops happening when I remove from the zone all of the extra ships I've massed there over past few IRL days.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”