[4.0 HF2] Graphics glitches with AMD driver 21.3.1 and newer

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

cyberfuzzie
x4

[4.0 HF2] Graphics glitches with AMD driver 21.3.1 and newer

Post by cyberfuzzie » Mon, 29. Mar 21, 22:06

With the AMD driver 21.3.1 I am experiencing graphical glitches during flight. There are frequent light flashes all over the screen, where they should not be. With the previous driver, 21.2.3, everything looks normal.
It is happening more frequently while flying near stations, but can be seen in space as well.
While the video and pictures below only show a Pegasus, I observed this in different ships. In fact, I do not remember a single ship not being affected.

Here is a video collection of multiple occurrences. The video is played at half speed (i.e., recorded at 60 fps, played back at 30fps), since the light flashes are often only one frame. Some persist longer than one frame, but I put this on the game not running at full 60 fps on my computer. During these longer flashes, also the rest of the image is unchanged.
https://youtu.be/OJ_T5miRTQQ

Here is also a gallery of some occurrences, they come in different colors and at different positions, but usually near the top of the screen:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

DxDiag and vulkaninfo. These are the same as in my other bug report regarding a screen saver related crash, see here
DxDiag (new driver): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EzEmAE ... sp=sharing
vulkaninfo (new driver): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iYtjLg ... sp=sharing
vulkaninfo (old driver): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mm6I7H ... sp=sharing
I'm aware of my unofficial and non-WHQL realtek driver, as posted in the other thread this has its reason. If you really think this could be the cause, I could also try with the official driver.
The mentioned issue of my C: drive not having enough space for the configured pagefile has also been resolved, there is currently around 35 GB free space.

I also tested with the new 21.3.2 driver, released today. The result was much worse. In mere seconds I got the same amount of flashes as in the whole video above, it was pure disco-feeling. Admittedly, it was at a different location not part of the video, and again got better when flying away from the shipyard, but I do not remember it ever being this bad with the 21.3.1 driver.

I swapped multiple times between the old and the new driver, always with consistent results. At one point I also did a factory reset during setup, which resulted in uninstall - restart - install - restart, but nothing changed.

For the time being I will now stay on the old driver, as it provides a much more enjoyable gaming experience.

Edit: Vanilla game, with SV and CoH.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [4.0 HF2] Graphics glitches with AMD driver 21.3.1 and newer

Post by timon37 » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:09

Unfortunately having trouble reproducing (I've got a 5600xt).
It seems like this one is fairly rare even for you right?

From experience these can be extremely settings+location+performance sensitive.
Next time you see it flash, try to move the ship back to where it flashed and see if you can get it to flash again.
There's hopefully a sweet spot where it'll happen quite consistently.
Make a savegame and then check if it's reproducible from it.
The goal is a savegame which reproduces the issue after loading, preferably without moving the ship at all, if impossible rotating the ship a bit is also fine or moving back/forth in one axis.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:43

Forgot to mention, I"ll also need your config.xml file from Docs\Egosoft\X4\<steamuserid>

cyberfuzzie
x4

Post by cyberfuzzie » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:54

Sorry for the delay, first I was a few days away, and then, well,multiple reboots for driver setup and so on is not very appealing after a long day of work...

I updated my system as follows:
- Made sure all windows updates are installed. I am using Windows 10 Pro, 20H2, all updates I get via windows update.
- AMD driver 21.3.2
- Replaced my sound driver with the latest one I get from my motherboard manufacturer, Asus. This is the 6.0.8971.1; WHQL signed. The realtek website only offers some driver from 2017, after email registration and captcha; the seemingly really don't want end users using their drivers.
- Updated the chipset drivers (the previous ones were from january, so also not too old)

Here are some updated files:
- DxDiag: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N1ftwY ... sp=sharing
I hope to have now addressed all potential issues mentioned previously
- config.xml https://drive.google.com/file/d/11adIK_ ... sp=sharing
- save file https://drive.google.com/file/d/17CiI4M ... sp=sharing

Regarding the save:
Initially, it would show the same flashes (color + position) across multiple game restarts, without me doing anything, just sitting there.
Then, I played around with the settings: Removing the config.xml, or just changing individual options. I stopped after different settings for antialiasing, since the results were always the same: Changing the antialiasing would make the issue go away. Restoring the previous setting would *not* make it reappear. But, after few (1-3) restarts, it would appear again, though never with the same pattern as initially.
So, to sum it up: The linked save shows the issue for me within seconds after loading, and without any input from my side. Potentially few game restarts are required, in that case also try flying around shortly before exiting the game.

cyberfuzzie
x4

Post by cyberfuzzie » Tue, 27. Apr 21, 19:55

timon37 wrote:
Thu, 1. Apr 21, 13:09
Make a savegame and then check if it's reproducible from it.
The goal is a savegame which reproduces the issue after loading, preferably without moving the ship at all, if impossible rotating the ship a bit is also fine or moving back/forth in one axis.
Have you yet had a chance to see if you can reproduce the issue with the provided save?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 14:29

Tried though no repro yet:( But my current setup is a bit different (driver is 20.4.1, and it was setup as my second gpu), will retry later when I can rearrange stuff more.
To clarify, I understood that you can get the flashes with any antialiasing setting if you try a bit? Or is it only with some of them?

In the mean-time (may not be quick to fix especially since I'm busy with various crash issues) if you disable glow the flashes should be much less annoying (probably just single bright pixels instead of giant blobs).

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 14. Jul 21, 20:16

Re Realtek drivers, there is also a 6.0.9088.1 available that I know of.

There are all sorts of WHQL versions of latest Realtek driver available as new system hardware/OS types emerge and usage or UI issues are reported, but I'm pretty sure that they are all basically the Realtek HD Audio Codec R2.82 (the 2017 one) at the core. I would not expect any obvious sound performance gains from constantly updating to latest sub-version - if it already works OK in your case of course.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 16. Jul 21, 02:51

I see those flashes ever since i turned up glow when i reported this issue about artifacts seam on logos. I didnt get the flashes of color but it did colorise the dots but i had glow off or low, then when i went ultra and glows was maxed i got rainbow lights like in ur vid in OP.

OP

Can you if u have access, try my save, my config/settings and see if you see the logos have artifacts and if glow up and down makes em go like a disco when u move the camera when looking at em.

viewtopic.php?f=192&t=440613
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”