Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OwlPaste

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by OwlPaste » Tue, 30. Nov 21, 09:57

Can I ask where I can find crash dump files I can attach? Just had a crash in a small 5-7 ship fight. No player stations IS.

FPS ground to 0.16 before the game locked up and eventually crashed. Will try to reproduce later, but was wondering if there is anything useful I can get from the crash?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Thu, 2. Dec 21, 17:15

I always run my X4 Steam with:

Code: Select all

-skipintro -logfile debug.txt
added to the launch options section; I have the game output dumped into the debug.txt file (sometimes I even watch it in real time from within console with tail -f).

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Sun, 19. Dec 21, 21:15

Following the discussion here.
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=443741#p5094348

If you want to limit the FPS in the game use MangoHud. Most recent distros are working perfectly with it.

Just add this on the run options of the game

Code: Select all

MANGOHUD_CONFIG=no_display,fps_limit=75 mangohud %command%
Where fps limit is the number you want.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 16:58

Just tried with Linux this morning. Is it a known issue that the left mouse button does not register in game??

If it is not where is the setting that will allow the left mouse button in game to be allowed for UI and general
game control.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 22. Dec 21, 17:15

Left click or the extra side button(s)?
sirprosik wrote:
Wed, 22. Dec 21, 16:58
Just tried with Linux this morning. Is it a known issue that the left mouse button does not register in game??

If it is not where is the setting that will allow the left mouse button in game to be allowed for UI and general
game control.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 08:37

Left click works in OS. Left click not responding in the game menu even before starting/loading the game.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 23. Dec 21, 11:49

That wasn't the question the previous poster asked you; they were asking what you mean by "left click". Do you mean the normal left button on top of the mouse, or an additional button on the left side of your mouse? It's an important distinction. If the game didn't recognise the normal left button then it would be a serious issue that other people would no doubt have reported, but if it's simply that you can't map one of your input device's additional buttons, then it's a completely different, and much less serious, issue.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Fri, 24. Dec 21, 16:05

Basic Left click works until I load the game. Then mouse only functions as 'arrow' movement but left click and right click do not do anything using default configuration with only mouse keyboard and VKB Gladiator connected.

Going to try again after I rebuild a computer sitting here parts delivered shortly.
Planning to install debian 11.2 since that is the easiest distro currently to get steam working.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Fri, 24. Dec 21, 17:08

It could also depend on the Steam image you install if not native.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 02:28

Back in the game again after installing Linux (Debian) and installing steam etc. Now the mouse works ok but the VKB Gladiator shows up in the list but
will not work for basic flight (axis) even though it shows it setup. Ironically the 'strafe' works but can not change it to match what I have on windows.

Very badly need the ability to 'clear' a setting without changing another setting on all platforms IMO.
Any recommendations? Can not change throttle or any other settings for the VKB device in game its as if they are all 'locked'.
Steam settings maybe??

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 07:15

Check the yaw and roll mouse settings. You can have it setup so that when moved it either yaws the ship (moving her nose left or right around the main vertical axis) or to roll her (making her spin along the main horizontal axis).

I hope I understood the problem correctly.
Last edited by Imuniser on Sat, 25. Dec 21, 16:04, edited 3 times in total.

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 12:23

Giving up for now. Can not get joystick or mouse to respond properly like it does in Windows 10.
Unable to modify joystick controls. Illogical settings like 'z' twist set to fire main weapons etc.

Bugs like rapier in Segaris Pioneers start unable to dock to Oberth.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sat, 25. Dec 21, 13:37

sirprosik wrote:
Sat, 25. Dec 21, 12:23
Giving up for now. Can not get joystick or mouse to respond properly like it does in Windows 10.
Unable to modify joystick controls. Illogical settings like 'z' twist set to fire main weapons etc.

Bugs like rapier in Segaris Pioneers start unable to dock to Oberth.
Considering I've now got over 7000 hours on X4 and all are Linux, definitely not a Windows vs Linux bug, but how you're going about setting it up

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 10:31

I agree its configuration problems but not 100% on my end!!
My first real game on Unix/Linux was NWN where I completed the single player across both expansions on FreeBSD on a p3-600 Asus box I built in 1998.
I am no stranger to Unix or Linux. Debian install is primarily because the hoops to go through on FreeBSD, my preference, are way too much to go through.
And as Steam OS uses Debian as its core distribution I went with the simple first approach. The 'game' in general needs a clear function in settings per
item listing or a global clear all settings as a last resort. I am unable to change configuration in game because the 'popup' message that there is a conflict in
settings flashes too quickly!!

The rapier docking is most definitely a bug because when I moved the save over to Windows I was able to dock just fine!!! I bet dollars to donuts that if the starting
ship had a docking computer I would have had no trouble but with only 5500 credits with less than 5 minutes on that game start unable to test with a docking computer....

7000+ hours is quite a bit much I certainly hope you are a senior citizen like me or its time to get out from under that rock and do something.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Sun, 26. Dec 21, 11:47

sirprosik wrote:
Sun, 26. Dec 21, 10:31
7000+ hours is quite a bit much I certainly hope you are a senior citizen like me or its time to get out from under that rock and do something.
This is a bit presumptuous ... maybe he earns a living from playing games or simply just has enough to last a lifetime.

We were honestly just trying to help.

illeatmyhat

Post by illeatmyhat » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 09:28

Playing on Intel graphics, I've noticed that there's issues with lighting.
This happens whether I'm playing the native version, or using Proton.

Essentially, whether objects are lit or not depends entirely on the camera's rotation, completely ignoring the object's position and orientation.
This means that non-emissive objects in the scene can be completely completely black when facing one direction, and lit when facing the other direction.

This has happened in a few other games before, and while I suspect it may be a general issue with Intel drivers, it was fixed in one game by using a more recent version of Proton.

Specs:
Fedora 35, Linux 5.15.12-200
Intel i7-1165G7
Iris Xe 11th Gen integrated graphics
64GB RAM
Mesa 21.3.3-1

The attached pictures are of the Wreck seen in the Flight School tutorial, from different positions.
https://i.imgur.com/J8m2IcB.png
https://i.imgur.com/V69bIGE.png
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 11. Jan 22, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversize images -> links.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 11:08

Please be aware that Intel integrated graphics chipsets do not meet the minimum requirements for the game, as they are stated on the Steam and GOG store pages. So while issues that show up with that hardware may end up being fixed, either by us or by the owners of the drivers, this is unlikely to become a priority item to deal with.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 20:47

illeatmyhat wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 09:28
Playing on Intel graphics, I've noticed that there's issues with lighting.
This happens whether I'm playing the native version, or using Proton.

Essentially, whether objects are lit or not depends entirely on the camera's rotation, completely ignoring the object's position and orientation.
This means that non-emissive objects in the scene can be completely completely black when facing one direction, and lit when facing the other direction.

This has happened in a few other games before, and while I suspect it may be a general issue with Intel drivers, it was fixed in one game by using a more recent version of Proton.

Specs:
Fedora 35, Linux 5.15.12-200
Intel i7-1165G7
Iris Xe 11th Gen integrated graphics
64GB RAM
Mesa 21.3.3-1

The attached pictures are of the Wreck seen in the Flight School tutorial, from different positions.
https://i.imgur.com/J8m2IcB.png
https://i.imgur.com/V69bIGE.png

Have you dedicated 8GB to VRAM?
FYI Intel IGP is well bellow specs.

wildsalarian

Post by wildsalarian » Sun, 6. Mar 22, 11:16

The german DLCs for Linux on GOG still have no update for version 4.20.
Seems that the english DLCs are the only ones that were updated to 4.20.
I admit that this combination is quite specific (non mainstream OS, non mainstream distritbution platform, non mainstream language), so the demand not being that high is kinda understandable.
Since 4.20 is now released for several months I assume we can rule out the usual GOG delay. So what is the current state on this topic?

beko
x4

Post by beko » Mon, 7. Mar 22, 09:12

wildsalarian wrote:
Sun, 6. Mar 22, 11:16
The german DLCs for Linux on GOG still have no update for version 4.20.
Aw s***, here we go again. You may be in luck with my Frankenstein approach: https://beko.famkos.net/2021/03/17/x4-c ... x-and-gog/

Didn't try this with 4.20 yet (busy with Elite) but it will probably just work.

Or you wait until GOG gets its s**** together. Again!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”