Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Imuniser
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:44

The proprietary tested is the one with which I get a loss of frames, that is why I have installed the latest from nVIDIA which behaves a lot better.
The card has 2GB VRAM but I have seen no issues on a low setting (other than this initial game start crash and flickering faces; the game runs perfectly on a subsequent load). Playing on this one as the Win10 3070 crashes with a lot of zest :)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:50

Seems likely it's related to gpu-memory.
Might be that the first run forces the driver to flush some things out of memory which makes the subsequent run less likely to fail.
Btw only the first time you open the map after starting the exe has a risk of failing, though atm there are other things which have that risk as well (iirc some encyclopedia entries).

We've been working on fixing/improving these issues for a long time and hope to release those relatively soon.
In the meantime reducing gpu memory consumption should help.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 23:15

Version: 4.0
RX590 (Polaris)

I have some graphical corruption with RADV and mesa-git (commit hash b804abd61de2fd28ffe754bd136aba96a0bfb931) in the newly added CoH messages.

It seems like it doesn't happen on Windows as far as I can tell from youtube videos. Does anyone else experience those?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 07:11

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:50
We've been working on fixing/improving these issues for a long time and hope to release those relatively soon.
In the meantime reducing gpu memory consumption should help.
Thank you for the answers, future fixes and the time you spent looking into this @timon37. I will install a different videocard, a gtx 1080 with 8GB RAM and see if it crases again. It may very well be that the VRAM is at its atmost limit at 2GB.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:48

Question about adding command line arguments
I want to add the following arguments:

Code: Select all

-skipintro

-showfps
How should I do it, if I launch the game from the menu shortcut?
Should I edit the start.sh script? If yes, what is the correct syntax?
Thanks in advance!

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:54

@Reinis, I understand you're using the GOG version of X4 on some Linux version.

start.sh does nothing meaningful on my system. If you're not running Linux on an IBM mainframe or an architecture other than amd64/x86 :wink: you could try switching to the game directory

cd ~/[x4_installation_directory]/game
and call

./X4 -skipintro -showfps
directly. These two lines, preceeded by '#!/bin/bash' in a textfile made executable would be your own start skript. That should do an any Debian based distri.

Edits done to the scripts that come with gog might be overwritten by future updates. start.sh doesn't pass along any arguments, it switches to the game directory and calls 'testandlaunch', which calls 'testcommon' which does some architecture/distribution-dependent magic, returns to 'testandlaunch' which then simply starts x4 by calling './X4'. You could also add the arguments there if you like.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:30

BaronVerde wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:54
Many thanks!
Yes, I use GOG version on Pop OS (Ubuntu derivative).

I ended up adding the argument to testandlaunch.sh

Ran into a bug, perhaps, both arguments worked - the intro was skipped and FPS counter showed up at the bottom right corner. But the menu items did not load. When using just -showfps, everything is fine.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 14:12

Reinis wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 13:30
BaronVerde wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 12:54
Many thanks!
Yes, I use GOG version on Pop OS (Ubuntu derivative).

I ended up adding the argument to testandlaunch.sh

Ran into a bug, perhaps, both arguments worked - the intro was skipped and FPS counter showed up at the bottom right corner. But the menu items did not load. When using just -showfps, everything is fine.
Can't help with that one. First time I heard of PopOS :doh: . Any objections against using a wider spread distri ?
As to the fps thing, if no developer calls me a liar now, why not just switch to vsync because it makes little sense to calculate frames that never see the light of day, may cause screen tearing and stutter. If the framerate exceeds the monitor's frequency everything is fine and smooth with 60/s or so. And if it is lower well, it just is lower, no change to before.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 14:31

BaronVerde wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 14:12
Can't help with that one. First time I heard of PopOS :doh: . Any objections against using a wider spread distri ?
As to the fps thing, if no developer calls me a liar now, why not just switch to vsync because it makes little sense to calculate frames that never see the light of day, may cause screen tearing and stutter. If the framerate exceeds the monitor's frequency everything is fine and smooth with 60/s or so. And if it is lower well, it just is lower, no change to before.
It is actually a rather popular distro, especially among newbies. :) It's made by System76 https://pop.system76.com/.

Did not quite get it. My laptop display has max refresh rate of 60HZ. Don't think I have turned on vsync in the game settings. So it would be smarter to just turn on vsync and forget at counting FPS?

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 14:55

Reinis wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 14:31
Did not quite get it. My laptop display has max refresh rate of 60HZ. Don't think I have turned on vsync in the game settings. So it would be smarter to just turn on vsync and forget at counting FPS?
Yes, if the hardware/driver/software doesn't support more advanced and eventually manufacturer dependent techniques then you should be using vsync.

(I secretly hope to provoke a statement from the devs who seem to lurk here from time to time ;-))

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 10:05

BaronVerde wrote:
Thu, 18. Mar 21, 14:55
Yes, if the hardware/driver/software doesn't support more advanced and eventually manufacturer dependent techniques then you should be using vsync.
Thanks! Switched on vsync and fps display to see my actual framerate. Will have to tweak the graphical settings a bit to get a bit more consistent framerate.

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Fri, 19. Mar 21, 13:36

I believe I have some good news, the latest nVIDIA driver released yesterday, driver version: 460.67, seems to be a lot more stable than what I have experienced with the previous one (where I got that CTD on the first game start). I am now 13h in game (non stop running) with no issues, not even the flickering faces I was mentioning.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 24. Mar 21, 13:36

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 25. Nov 20, 14:45
button repeat will be fixed in some beta update (not sure which exactly).
after this fix I tried again, but now there is more problems with xbox controller, now randomly when I fly and accelerate then release the button the value does not go to 0, but some random value and the ship keep moving, then sometimes it will not let me even accelerate it stays on 0 and to add more sometimes it will not let me disable travel drive as in disable flight assist when you hit the TD button again

now this is all very random so I dont think a save will help with but I can provide one np, also wanted to say I got a new wired xbox one controller, had 360 wireless before, on both its the same issue, same machine dual boot linux and win10, win10 has 0 problems with both controllers.
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

atreath
x4

Post by atreath » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 07:32

Auto Drop Travel Mode Bug

Whenever I use travel mode in the linux version of the game it automatically drops if I try to do anything else with the menus. In the windows version I could start travel mode than look through the maps so I don't get lost, or lose track of what my empire is doing. Linux version automatically cuts off if i interact with the menus at all. What gives? Is this a long term problem or something new?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 08:18

Different game installs, same saves. Check the keep speed setting in menu.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 09:30

atreath wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 07:32

Whenever I use travel mode in the linux version of the game it automatically drops if I try to do anything else with the menus. In the windows version I could start travel mode than look through the maps so I don't get lost, or lose track of what my empire is doing. Linux version automatically cuts off if i interact with the menus at all. What gives? Is this a long term problem or something new?
It is a game setting "Maintain speed in menues" or so.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:02

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 09:30
atreath wrote:

Which defaults to OFF :evil:

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:35

Roeleveld wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:02
BaronVerde wrote:
atreath wrote:

Of course it does... it has to... or else new players without "knowing" of this setting, would open the map at any time and slam into everything... This way if they do they also know who to blame for (for once it is not the crappy AI)...

atreath
x4

Post by atreath » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:40

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:35
Roeleveld wrote:
BaronVerde wrote:

Of course it does... it has to... or else new players without "knowing" of this setting, would open the map at any time and slam into everything... This way if they do they also know who to blame for (for once it is not the crappy AI)...
Which makes things frustrating when you reinstall the game years later and remember exactly none of your settings. At which point you confuse a game setting for a bug. Honestly its a pretty poor excuse.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:42

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:35
Roeleveld wrote:
BaronVerde wrote:

It's counter-intuitive and has cost me more forced reloads than anything else in the game.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”