Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Rastuasi
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 14:22

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:26
Rastuasi wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:17
Never put mods in the documents extension folder, ever, on any OS. Always put them in the installation folder, they will not read properly in the documents.
Good advice, I find ! A 'documents' folder is probably specifiv to Ubuntu's(*) desktop or applications running on that desktop and may change any time. It is not a part of the Linux file system hierarchy, and I don't have one under Debian with XFCE4 as desktop.

--------
(*) Ubuntu being the Windows among the Linuxes, anyway 8)
Not only that, but in general mods in documents cannot override application level details. They don't have permission, so the only mods that can go in there, are ones that do nothing to existing code/objects. Even if a mod is put there and appears in the menu in-game, there's no guarantee it's working if in documents versus the games installation folder

JonathanVQP
x4

Post by JonathanVQP » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:57

Thanks for all the responses. Since I am a steam user under Windows 10 as well as Ubuntu, the X4 directory structure may or may not be different for other distros:

Ubuntu Linux:
~/.config/Egosoft/X4/####/
constructionplans
/extensions
Mods
saves
logos

AND:
~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations
/extensions
ego_dlc_split
mods

Unfortunately, some authors of these X4 mods specify to put their mods in other extensions directory (.steam or .config). The game pics up my construction plans, logos, saves and runs great in Ubuntu!

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:04

JonathanVQP wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:57
Thanks for all the responses. Since I am a steam user under Windows 10 as well as Ubuntu, the X4 directory structure may or may not be different for other distros:

Ubuntu Linux:
constructionplans
/extensions
Mods
saves
logos

AND:
/extensions
ego_dlc_split
mods

Unfortunately, some authors of these X4 mods specify to put their mods in other extensions directory (.steam or .config). The game pics up my construction plans, logos, saves and runs great in Ubuntu!
What I'm saying is that it should always be .steam, if the mod dev says otherwise, they're just plain wrong.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 23:02

Rastuasi wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:04
JonathanVQP wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:57

Ubuntu Linux:
constructionplans
/extensions
Mods
saves
logos

AND:
/extensions
ego_dlc_split
mods

What I'm saying is that it should always be .steam, if the mod dev says otherwise, they're just plain wrong.
In that case, it should be where the game is installed, which may or may not be underneath the home directory of the user.

In my case, the steam-library is on a local NVMe drive. My home directory, however, is stored on a seperate system.

awenger

Post by awenger » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 11:58

Is anybody using a PS4 controller on Linux and tried the latest Beta versions of X4?
After upgrading from 3.x to the 4.0 beta, I can no longer switch between mouse and game pad input. Once the game pad is connected, I can no longer switch back to mouse input. The mouse cursor only comes back once I disconnect the PS4 controller. This already happens in the game menu, but also in game.
I also tried to downgraded to the stable 3.x version and it worked flawlessly to use mouse and game pad in combination. I also opened a ticket here with additional information: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=434542

Is anybody else experiencing this or is it something specific to my setup? As a work around, "Enable steam input" in the Steam settings made the mouse usable again for me (in case others are affected as well and it is still happening with the stable 4.0 version)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 12:25

That sounds like the opposite of the issue covered in the Known Issues and Workarounds Sticky thread on this forum:

"Joystick, HOTAS or controller that used be recognised in-game is no longer recognised
See if disabling the Global Steam Input Settings option in the Steam X4, Properties, General tab helps at all."

This would indicate that this type of issue has been around for certain systems and set-ups long before these betas. It is interesting though that the situation for yours changes between release and beta versions. Thanks for the report.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

awenger

Post by awenger » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 18:58

I just tested it with the release version of 4.0 and the problem also happens there.

I also had a look for
See if disabling the Global Steam Input Settings option in the Steam X4, Properties, General tab helps at all."
I don't have "Global Steam Input Settings" in "X4"->"Properties..." -> "General" . I think steam redesigned the "Properties..." menu some time ago.

The workaround with "X4" -> "Properties..." -> "Controller" -> "Enable Steam Input" is also applicable for the release 4.0 version. I hope this "Steam Input" works properly....

Padraic
x4

Post by Padraic » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 14:40

Hello all. I've been a linux user off and on for years now. I started with slackware linux way back in the early 90's. I recently installed Manjaro Linux (gnome) on my PC. The performance of X4 on my system under linux is terrible compared to what I remember getting on W10. Any suggestions before I reinstall W10?

Edit: I'm getting 25ish fps with the map pulled up, 34ish on a station, 80+ while flying in space with a 5600xt @ 1440p or 1080p (no change in fps) both at high or med settings. In W10 I never dropped below 45 on station or with the map up.

System specs:
CPU:
Info: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache:
L2: 3 MiB
Speed: 3892 MHz min/max: 1550/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3892 2: 2611
3: 1377 4: 1377 5: 1559 6: 1377 7: 1377 8: 1377 9: 3891 10: 1723 11: 1560
12: 1377
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT]
driver: amdgpu v: kernel
Display: wayland server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: loaded: amdgpu
note: n/a (using device driver) - try sudo/root
resolution: <missing: xdpyinfo>
OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (NAVI10 DRM 3.40.0
5.11.2-1-MANJARO LLVM 11.1.0)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.3.4

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:08

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu 20.04 with latest nVIDIA drivers and I am experiencing a odd situation:
when I first start the game it loads but when I try to open the map it crashes (CTD) with this error https://i.imgur.com/f2H1jB3.png
starting the game again seems to work though.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:43

Are you using an NVidia RTX 30x0 series card by any chance?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:45

CBJ wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 18:43
Are you using an NVidia RTX 30x0 series card by any chance?
Thanks for the reply CBJ; no, on Linux I don't. I would've mentioned it knowing the issues with the 30xx cards. I use an old GTX760.

I also get this funny flickering on all NPC faces https://files.fm/f/bmup9853y

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:01

@Imuniser
Can you upload your vulkaninfo output somewhere (e.g. pastebin.com)?
Also can you try an older driver version? To check if both the flicker and crash happen?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:10

@timon37 here it is: https://pastebin.com/Z6Xq9S5d

Thank you!

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:28

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:01
Also can you try an older driver version? To check if both the flicker and crash happen?
I can try the default Ubuntu one which is one verison behind the one I am using (using the one from the nVidia site, manually installed) however I have noticed a loss of frames with it as @Padraic mentiones above but on nVIDIA. Should I go for a 3xx driver version?

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:40

Imuniser wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:28
I can try the default Ubuntu one which is one verison behind the one I am using (using the one from the nVidia site, manually installed) however I have noticed a loss of frames with it as @Padraic mentiones above but on nVIDIA. Should I go for a 3xx driver version?
You should try the "Proprietary Tested" one... but you must make sure that you have min 4GB VRAM. Previous versions of X4 were less demanding than V4.00

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 19:44

The proprietary tested is the one with which I get a loss of frames, that is why I have installed the latest from nVIDIA which behaves a lot better.
The card has 2GB VRAM but I have seen no issues on a low setting (other than this initial game start crash and flickering faces; the game runs perfectly on a subsequent load). Playing on this one as the Win10 3070 crashes with a lot of zest :)

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:50

Seems likely it's related to gpu-memory.
Might be that the first run forces the driver to flush some things out of memory which makes the subsequent run less likely to fail.
Btw only the first time you open the map after starting the exe has a risk of failing, though atm there are other things which have that risk as well (iirc some encyclopedia entries).

We've been working on fixing/improving these issues for a long time and hope to release those relatively soon.
In the meantime reducing gpu memory consumption should help.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Wed, 17. Mar 21, 23:15

Version: 4.0
RX590 (Polaris)

I have some graphical corruption with RADV and mesa-git (commit hash b804abd61de2fd28ffe754bd136aba96a0bfb931) in the newly added CoH messages.

It seems like it doesn't happen on Windows as far as I can tell from youtube videos. Does anyone else experience those?

Imuniser
x4

Post by Imuniser » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 07:11

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 17. Mar 21, 22:50
We've been working on fixing/improving these issues for a long time and hope to release those relatively soon.
In the meantime reducing gpu memory consumption should help.
Thank you for the answers, future fixes and the time you spent looking into this @timon37. I will install a different videocard, a gtx 1080 with 8GB RAM and see if it crases again. It may very well be that the VRAM is at its atmost limit at 2GB.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Thu, 18. Mar 21, 10:48

Question about adding command line arguments
I want to add the following arguments:

Code: Select all

-skipintro

Code: Select all

-showfps
How should I do it, if I launch the game from the menu shortcut?
Should I edit the start.sh script? If yes, what is the correct syntax?
Thanks in advance!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”