Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SBBurzmali
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by SBBurzmali » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 18:53

SBBurzmali wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 00:10
Has any change been made to how the game finds joysticks in 4.0? I'm new to the game, but it isn't detecting my Logitech Extreme Pro 3D unless I map it as a virtual gamepad through Steam. I haven't had much in the way of issues with other titles, Elite Dangerous had some Proton issues though, and Arch Linux is picking it up fine in the SDL2 test. I see that people have been successful in using it in the past, at least to the point of X4 detecting it in the settings as a device independent of Steam's malarkey, I'm I doing something wrong or has something changed?
Looks like it was a Steam Input issue, it is seeing it now, but it is treating it like a game pad instead of a joystick, which I think is a problem other people have seen.

Edit: Interestingly, I did find a work around which is to clear my Steam controller settings and then rename libSDL2-2.0.so.0 to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.bak in the lib folder of the game. This forces X4 to use my native version of libSDL2, which seems to be newer than the packaged version and has the Logitech Extreme Pro 3D mapped correctly.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sun, 3. Jan 21, 10:53

SBBurzmali wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 18:53
SBBurzmali wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 00:10
Has any change been made to how the game finds joysticks in 4.0? I'm new to the game, but it isn't detecting my Logitech Extreme Pro 3D unless I map it as a virtual gamepad through Steam. I haven't had much in the way of issues with other titles, Elite Dangerous had some Proton issues though, and Arch Linux is picking it up fine in the SDL2 test. I see that people have been successful in using it in the past, at least to the point of X4 detecting it in the settings as a device independent of Steam's malarkey, I'm I doing something wrong or has something changed?
Looks like it was a Steam Input issue, it is seeing it now, but it is treating it like a game pad instead of a joystick, which I think is a problem other people have seen.

Edit: Interestingly, I did find a work around which is to clear my Steam controller settings and then rename libSDL2-2.0.so.0 to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.bak in the lib folder of the game. This forces X4 to use my native version of libSDL2, which seems to be newer than the packaged version and has the Logitech Extreme Pro 3D mapped correctly.
There is a "gamepad" setting which defaults to the wrong value.
Check that as well?

--
Joost

SBBurzmali
x4

Post by SBBurzmali » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 16:47

Roeleveld wrote:
Sun, 3. Jan 21, 10:53
SBBurzmali wrote:

Check that as well?

--
Joost
I tried that as well before renaming the file. The Logitech Extreme Pro 3D was mapped as a gamepad in an earlier version of libSDL2, I suspect that X4 is still using that version of the library in the Beta. Arch uses a rolling release, so the version of libSDL2 from the repository has the correction. I can't speak to how well other distributions are keeping up with that library, so this fix might be limited in applicablity.

LicoMonch
x4

Post by LicoMonch » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 20:57

Just for the records:

I'm using X4 under Fedora 33 without bugs or glitches (besides the ones also present in Windows :D ).

Only thing I noticed so far was that the Online Venture Feature did not work. X4 just told me somethingf like 'Could not connect.' while logging in.

The logfile said:

Code: Select all

curl_easy_perform() failed: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)
I could fix the problem via following command:

sudo ln -s /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
Those who die earlier, will be dead longer.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 06:04

SBBurzmali wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 16:47
Roeleveld wrote:
SBBurzmali wrote:

Check that as well?

--
Joost
I tried that as well before renaming the file. The Logitech Extreme Pro 3D was mapped as a gamepad in an earlier version of libSDL2, I suspect that X4 is still using that version of the library in the Beta. Arch uses a rolling release, so the version of libSDL2 from the repository has the correction. I can't speak to how well other distributions are keeping up with that library, so this fix might be limited in applicablity.
I meant the X4 settings menu.
I always fix it there instead of trying to map my joystick to steam.

--
Joost

SBBurzmali
x4

Post by SBBurzmali » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 14:20

Roeleveld wrote:
Tue, 5. Jan 21, 06:04
SBBurzmali wrote:
Roeleveld wrote:

Check that as well?

--
Joost

--
Joost
That's what I meant as well, that didn't work. I do not have the joystick mapped in Steam. The libSDL2 library is what X4 is using to identify gamepads vs. joysticks, failing any input from Steam and that library is where the error resides. You can see it on the selection menu. Without renaming the file, the Logitech is detected and reported as a gamepad, with the renaming it is detected and reported as a joystick.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 6. Jan 21, 14:30

SBBurzmali wrote:
Wed, 6. Jan 21, 14:20
Roeleveld wrote:
Tue, 5. Jan 21, 06:04
SBBurzmali wrote:

--
Joost
That's what I meant as well, that didn't work. I do not have the joystick mapped in Steam. The libSDL2 library is what X4 is using to identify gamepads vs. joysticks, failing any input from Steam and that library is where the error resides. You can see it on the selection menu. Without renaming the file, the Logitech is detected and reported as a gamepad, with the renaming it is detected and reported as a joystick.
Strange, but could happen.
The only issue I tend to encounter is the wrong setting for that gamepad option.
Mind, I don't run the beta-version and as it all "just works", I haven't checked which SDL-libraries it's using on my system.

JonathanVQP
x4

Post by JonathanVQP » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 21:36

I have Ubuntu and X4 appears to run fine. In Windows 10, the extensions folder are in X4\Foundations\extensions and in Documents\Egosoft\X4\###\extensions. In Ubuntu, I see the extensions folder in my home directory. When I created an extensions directory in home\documents\Egosoft\####\extension\, X4 does not pick it up. It only picks up the extensions in my home and not in my documents. Where should I create the second extensions directory in documents that X4 will recognize?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 22:17

JonathanVQP wrote:
Thu, 11. Mar 21, 21:36
...extensions directory in home\documents\Egosoft\####\extension\, X4 does not pick it up...
I'm not sure of the Linux path, but if you've called it "extension" rather than "extensions" as per your message, then the game won't find it wherever you put it. :)

JonathanVQP
x4

Post by JonathanVQP » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 22:24

Sorry....I meant extensions.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Thu, 11. Mar 21, 22:56

JonathanVQP wrote:
Thu, 11. Mar 21, 21:36
I have Ubuntu and X4 appears to run fine. In Windows 10, the extensions folder are in X4\Foundations\extensions and in Documents\Egosoft\X4\###\extensions. In Ubuntu, I see the extensions folder in my home directory. When I created an extensions directory in home\documents\Egosoft\####\extension\, X4 does not pick it up. It only picks up the extensions in my home and not in my documents. Where should I create the second extensions directory in documents that X4 will recognize?
They are under \.local\steam\steamapps\common\egosoft\x4

Be careful though. for the Extensions to work every single file must be in low case letters. Some moders do not pay attention to it so you'll have to "rename" those files yourself

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 00:59

Linux filenames and paths are case sensitive. Meaning the files muts be in the case the program expects them, or the programs/mods must look for filenames in the case that's documented and used, if it is documented.

There are two directories involved: installation with binaries, extensions and stuff, and user data with saves, construction plans and some other temp stuff. The installation directory may differ between Steam and no-Steam installations. I am no-steam and could freely enter one that suited me.

Don't use blanks in Linux filenames, While this is technically possible, it leads to problems (they are delimiters on the command line, must be escaped in scripts and programs, escaping gets lost when passed between shells) ! Use underscores instead, it'll make your life easier, or less miserable :-)

Here it comes: the extensions are in '[installation_path]/game/extensions' (forward slashes !), and the saves are '~/.config/EgoSoft/X4/save'. Mind the cases ! Maybe you want to check manually via a terminal.

Edit: Thanks to @Roeleveld below for the Steam-path :-)

hth :-)

-------------
~ is the shell symbol for the respective home directory, which is usually /home/[loginname]
The '.', when first char of a file or directory, hides it from normal view or the standard 'ls' command. Depending on the desktop/filer program you use you must probably actively enter it to view the so hidden files, on the cl it makes no difference, except for ls.
Last edited by BaronVerde on Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:32, edited 2 times in total.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 09:07

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 00:59
Here it comes: the extensions are in [installation_path]/game/extensions (forward slashes, backslahes are concatenation chars inside of the shell), and the saves are ~/.config/EgoSoft/X4/save. Mind the cases ! Maybe you want to check manually via a terminal.

hth :-)
For completeness, when using Steam, the saves are in:
~/.config/EgoSoft/X4/<random_number>/save

NOTE: The Steam-version adds a number to the path.

The loadouts, constructionplans and keymappings (including other devices) are one directory up.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:17

Never put mods in the documents extension folder, ever, on any OS. Always put them in the installation folder, they will not read properly in the documents.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:26

Rastuasi wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:17
Never put mods in the documents extension folder, ever, on any OS. Always put them in the installation folder, they will not read properly in the documents.
Good advice, I find ! A 'documents' folder is probably specifiv to Ubuntu's(*) desktop or applications running on that desktop and may change any time. It is not a part of the Linux file system hierarchy, and I don't have one under Debian with XFCE4 as desktop.

--------
(*) Ubuntu being the Windows among the Linuxes, anyway 8)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 14:22

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:26
Rastuasi wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 13:17
Good advice, I find ! A 'documents' folder is probably specifiv to Ubuntu's(*) desktop or applications running on that desktop and may change any time. It is not a part of the Linux file system hierarchy, and I don't have one under Debian with XFCE4 as desktop.

--------
(*) Ubuntu being the Windows among the Linuxes, anyway 8)
Not only that, but in general mods in documents cannot override application level details. They don't have permission, so the only mods that can go in there, are ones that do nothing to existing code/objects. Even if a mod is put there and appears in the menu in-game, there's no guarantee it's working if in documents versus the games installation folder

JonathanVQP
x4

Post by JonathanVQP » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:57

Thanks for all the responses. Since I am a steam user under Windows 10 as well as Ubuntu, the X4 directory structure may or may not be different for other distros:

Ubuntu Linux:
~/.config/Egosoft/X4/####/
constructionplans
/extensions
Mods
saves
logos

AND:
~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations
/extensions
ego_dlc_split
mods

Unfortunately, some authors of these X4 mods specify to put their mods in other extensions directory (.steam or .config). The game pics up my construction plans, logos, saves and runs great in Ubuntu!

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:04

JonathanVQP wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:57
Thanks for all the responses. Since I am a steam user under Windows 10 as well as Ubuntu, the X4 directory structure may or may not be different for other distros:

Ubuntu Linux:
constructionplans
/extensions
Mods
saves
logos

AND:
/extensions
ego_dlc_split
mods

Unfortunately, some authors of these X4 mods specify to put their mods in other extensions directory (.steam or .config). The game pics up my construction plans, logos, saves and runs great in Ubuntu!
What I'm saying is that it should always be .steam, if the mod dev says otherwise, they're just plain wrong.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Fri, 12. Mar 21, 23:02

Rastuasi wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 22:04
JonathanVQP wrote:
Fri, 12. Mar 21, 21:57

Ubuntu Linux:
constructionplans
/extensions
Mods
saves
logos

AND:
/extensions
ego_dlc_split
mods

What I'm saying is that it should always be .steam, if the mod dev says otherwise, they're just plain wrong.
In that case, it should be where the game is installed, which may or may not be underneath the home directory of the user.

In my case, the steam-library is on a local NVMe drive. My home directory, however, is stored on a seperate system.

awenger

Post by awenger » Tue, 16. Mar 21, 11:58

Is anybody using a PS4 controller on Linux and tried the latest Beta versions of X4?
After upgrading from 3.x to the 4.0 beta, I can no longer switch between mouse and game pad input. Once the game pad is connected, I can no longer switch back to mouse input. The mouse cursor only comes back once I disconnect the PS4 controller. This already happens in the game menu, but also in game.
I also tried to downgraded to the stable 3.x version and it worked flawlessly to use mouse and game pad in combination. I also opened a ticket here with additional information: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=434542

Is anybody else experiencing this or is it something specific to my setup? As a work around, "Enable steam input" in the Steam settings made the mouse usable again for me (in case others are affected as well and it is still happening with the stable 4.0 version)

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”