Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by CBJ » Tue, 3. Nov 20, 15:47

That hotfix update is now on full public release.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 19. Nov 20, 20:13

recently installed ubuntu and tried to play x4, everything works expect my xbox controller cant "scroll" I have to press up or down arrow individually to move item by item ( for example in the property menu ) but on windows I just press and hold up or down arrow and it scrolls/moves until the end

its a xbox 360 wireless controller, can ego please try it out and if everything is alright maybe your linux guru or anybody else can give me a hint on what I did wrong

the problem is the same on 3.3 and new 4.0 beta 1
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 25. Nov 20, 14:45

button repeat will be fixed in some beta update (not sure which exactly).

Moderato_bei_X
x4

Post by Moderato_bei_X » Mon, 7. Dec 20, 02:22

One thing that makes playing less enjoyable is the game re-initializing the graphics upon each window minimization.

This re-initialization takes a pretty long amount of time (I haven't timed it exactly, but maybe a minute on my system with most graphic settings turned up to the max, with the exception of anti aliasing which is set to some 2x method). Usually, the game is showing the X4 Foundations splash screen during that time.

Naturally, this is necessary whenever a save game is loaded and everything in the scene rendered, but it also has happened every time I tabbed out of the game, i.e., switched focus to another window.

It's possible to work around that by exporting the environment variable "SDL_VIDEO_MINIMIZE_ON_FOCUS_LOSS" with a value of 0, but this doesn't squelch all occurrences.

I typically make heavy use of virtual desktops and switch between them pretty often. The game always runs on a virtual desktop not including my browsers, so I switch between them quite often whenever I want to look something up.

Now, the way virtual desktops work on UNIX-based systems is pretty simple, but also nifty: window managers typically hide applications that are not part of the target virtual desktop and - crucially - all those windows are minimized (or, in X11 parlance, unmapped). Boom, graphics re-initialization once I get back to the virtual desktop with the game.

To this day, I haven't seen any game re-initializing its graphics output after a minimize cycle. Everything else just continues to render the graphics.

Is there any chance you'll refactor the X4 code to behave the same? Is there any reason why it was implemented this way? I mostly hope that there's no real technical reason for it, but rather over-prudence to avoid graphical glitches (like... random video memory content?), which shouldn't be a real problem in practice.

Edit: to be fair, I could employ another work around and tell my WM to always include the game on all virtual desktops, but I still find its behavior highly unusual and would rather have it changed.
Course.setCourse[_%e00FF00FF00FF00FFset%ei]
.byOS[4D6963726F66742057696E646F777320544520286329032313135]
00FFl_ified00FF00FF00FF{fail%re}

DKay47
x4

Post by DKay47 » Mon, 7. Dec 20, 04:06

mAritz wrote:
Sat, 8. Jun 19, 09:33
mAritz wrote:
Wed, 5. Jun 19, 11:57
I have to disable my secondary display to get the game to start, otherwise I get this:

Code: Select all

./testandlaunch: line 14:  6268 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ./X4 "$@" 2>&1
Once I disable the second monitor it starts up fine.
I'm happy to report that updating from kernel 5.0 to 5.1 appears to have fixed this issue for me. :)
Bumping an old bug report to say that I'm affected by the same issue here. I only recently came back to X4 after playing it (successfully) at launch but now, this is what I get:

/mnt/nvme/Games/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations/testandlaunch: line 14: 488325 Segmentation fault      ./X4 "$@" 2>&1
I have a somewhat similar setup: Nvidia drivers and mismatched monitors (an old, 720p TV screen plugged in a DP and a newer 1080p monitor plugged in the HDMI port) - from the BIOS up until the X server boots up, the "wrong" monitor is selected as default.

When I launch the game, it immediately segfaults. Running the 5.9.11-zen kernel.

Surprisingly, trying to launch in compatibility mode (using proton & proton eggroll) leads to an immediate crash as well

Some additional information

GPU driver is 455.46.02
vulkaninfo: https://pastebin.com/bdjbCmkv
full steam startup log: https://pastebin.com/91iTFrHZ

If it's any clue, I can sometimes see a black box flicker before the crash, and it's positioned halfway between the two monitors. I tried messing around with fullscreen/windowed options from the config file to no avail

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 10. Dec 20, 19:09

timon37 wrote:
Wed, 25. Nov 20, 14:45
button repeat will be fixed in some beta update (not sure which exactly).
just confirming that 4.0 beta 3 fixed the issue, much obliged
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

DKay47
x4

Post by DKay47 » Tue, 15. Dec 20, 18:55

I'm happy to report that the latest Nvidia beta drivers (460.27.04) fixed my segfault issue

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Thu, 24. Dec 20, 02:25

Timon,

Just letting you know, we still do not have music playing properly in latest vanilla or beta. I no longer even hear combat music.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Tue, 29. Dec 20, 06:13

Rastuasi wrote:
Thu, 24. Dec 20, 02:25
Timon,

Just letting you know, we still do not have music playing properly in latest vanilla or beta. I no longer even hear combat music.
Can you provide more info on this?
I've been playing the Linux version for over 200 hours (according to Steam) and have always had music and other sound effects.

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Tue, 29. Dec 20, 20:51

This is related to a change in 2.x where they adjusted the number of times and length ambient music played. In Linux, it originally translated to only having battle music and occasionally 15-30 second of music before it'd cut out. However, in 3.x and 4.0, I've not had music, sounds yes, music no. Once in 4.0, I did get battle music to show up for 30 seconds, but it stopped in middle of taking on a K.

On modded saves, I've gotten music by having a music mod installed, but vanilla has the issues. There's posts about it from back in 2019 and early 2020 in this thread. Timon was looking into it, but never heard back on the subject.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 08:14

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 28. Aug 20, 01:09
Many of our games are available for Linux - X3: Reunion, X3: Terran Conflict, X3: Albion Prelude, X Rebirth and X4: Foundations.
Might have been asked before, but couldn't find it.
Linux Game Publishing (when it still existed) had a Linux version of X2: The Threat.
Is there any reason why this version has disappeared?

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 08:19

Rastuasi wrote:
Tue, 29. Dec 20, 20:51
This is related to a change in 2.x where they adjusted the number of times and length ambient music played. In Linux, it originally translated to only having battle music and occasionally 15-30 second of music before it'd cut out. However, in 3.x and 4.0, I've not had music, sounds yes, music no. Once in 4.0, I did get battle music to show up for 30 seconds, but it stopped in middle of taking on a K.

On modded saves, I've gotten music by having a music mod installed, but vanilla has the issues. There's posts about it from back in 2019 and early 2020 in this thread. Timon was looking into it, but never heard back on the subject.
If you want to compare installs, please let me know.
I have no issues with music on my system.

As a start:
Distribution: Gentoo
Init system: OpenRC
Additional (that I think might be necessary):
- Pulseaudio installed.
- ALSA also appears to be installed (pulseaudio uses ALSA, afaik)

I play the Steam-version, started from the steam client.
No special sound-card (just the default one on the mainboard), but all sound also works through USB-headset

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 11:34

Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 30. Dec 20, 08:14
Might have been asked before, but couldn't find it.
Linux Game Publishing (when it still existed) had a Linux version of X2: The Threat.
Is there any reason why this version has disappeared?
Well, you kind of answered it yourself. The company that developed it is no longer around, and even if we had the rights to it (we may or may not, I don't know) we wouldn't be able to support it.

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by timon37 » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 15:19

@Rastuasi

1. do you have music in the start-menu?
2. if you start young-gun fresh, and shoot at the station do you get fight music?

And I guess can you figure out some reliable repro steps? E.g. load some savegame, shoot at station, no music.

SBBurzmali
x4

Post by SBBurzmali » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 00:10

Has any change been made to how the game finds joysticks in 4.0? I'm new to the game, but it isn't detecting my Logitech Extreme Pro 3D unless I map it as a virtual gamepad through Steam. I haven't had much in the way of issues with other titles, Elite Dangerous had some Proton issues though, and Arch Linux is picking it up fine in the SDL2 test. I see that people have been successful in using it in the past, at least to the point of X4 detecting it in the settings as a device independent of Steam's malarkey, I'm I doing something wrong or has something changed?

SBBurzmali
x4

Post by SBBurzmali » Fri, 1. Jan 21, 18:53

SBBurzmali wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 00:10
Has any change been made to how the game finds joysticks in 4.0? I'm new to the game, but it isn't detecting my Logitech Extreme Pro 3D unless I map it as a virtual gamepad through Steam. I haven't had much in the way of issues with other titles, Elite Dangerous had some Proton issues though, and Arch Linux is picking it up fine in the SDL2 test. I see that people have been successful in using it in the past, at least to the point of X4 detecting it in the settings as a device independent of Steam's malarkey, I'm I doing something wrong or has something changed?
Looks like it was a Steam Input issue, it is seeing it now, but it is treating it like a game pad instead of a joystick, which I think is a problem other people have seen.

Edit: Interestingly, I did find a work around which is to clear my Steam controller settings and then rename libSDL2-2.0.so.0 to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.bak in the lib folder of the game. This forces X4 to use my native version of libSDL2, which seems to be newer than the packaged version and has the Logitech Extreme Pro 3D mapped correctly.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Sun, 3. Jan 21, 10:53

SBBurzmali wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 18:53
SBBurzmali wrote:
Fri, 1. Jan 21, 00:10
Looks like it was a Steam Input issue, it is seeing it now, but it is treating it like a game pad instead of a joystick, which I think is a problem other people have seen.

Edit: Interestingly, I did find a work around which is to clear my Steam controller settings and then rename libSDL2-2.0.so.0 to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.bak in the lib folder of the game. This forces X4 to use my native version of libSDL2, which seems to be newer than the packaged version and has the Logitech Extreme Pro 3D mapped correctly.
There is a "gamepad" setting which defaults to the wrong value.
Check that as well?

--
Joost

SBBurzmali
x4

Post by SBBurzmali » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 16:47

Roeleveld wrote:
Sun, 3. Jan 21, 10:53
SBBurzmali wrote:

Check that as well?

--
Joost
I tried that as well before renaming the file. The Logitech Extreme Pro 3D was mapped as a gamepad in an earlier version of libSDL2, I suspect that X4 is still using that version of the library in the Beta. Arch uses a rolling release, so the version of libSDL2 from the repository has the correction. I can't speak to how well other distributions are keeping up with that library, so this fix might be limited in applicablity.

LicoMonch
x4

Post by LicoMonch » Mon, 4. Jan 21, 20:57

Just for the records:

I'm using X4 under Fedora 33 without bugs or glitches (besides the ones also present in Windows :D ).

Only thing I noticed so far was that the Online Venture Feature did not work. X4 just told me somethingf like 'Could not connect.' while logging in.

The logfile said:

curl_easy_perform() failed: Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access rights?)
I could fix the problem via following command:

sudo ln -s /etc/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.trust.crt /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
Those who die earlier, will be dead longer.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Tue, 5. Jan 21, 06:04

SBBurzmali wrote:
Mon, 4. Jan 21, 16:47
Roeleveld wrote:
Sun, 3. Jan 21, 10:53
SBBurzmali wrote:

Check that as well?

--
Joost
I tried that as well before renaming the file. The Logitech Extreme Pro 3D was mapped as a gamepad in an earlier version of libSDL2, I suspect that X4 is still using that version of the library in the Beta. Arch uses a rolling release, so the version of libSDL2 from the repository has the correction. I can't speak to how well other distributions are keeping up with that library, so this fix might be limited in applicablity.
I meant the X4 settings menu.
I always fix it there instead of trying to map my joystick to steam.

--
Joost

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”