Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KMcr
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by KMcr » Sun, 5. Jun 22, 23:49

harkov wrote:
Tue, 26. Apr 22, 21:05
I just got a joystick and the game recognizes it just fine as in I can select it as an input. However it won't respond to movement on the stick itself.
I've tried jstest-gtk to test if the joystick was working and that detects the input just fine. I'm using the Steam version of X4
Have you disabled Steam Input in the Controller settings for X4? (Right click on game icon in Steam, select Properties, select Controller). I've got the Thrustmaster 16000M HOTAS combo working fine here on Ubuntu 20.04.

harkov
x4

Post by harkov » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 08:05

KMcr wrote:
Sun, 5. Jun 22, 23:49
harkov wrote:
I just got a joystick and the game recognizes it just fine as in I can select it as an input. However it won't respond to movement on the stick itself.
I've tried jstest-gtk to test if the joystick was working and that detects the input just fine. I'm using the Steam version of X4
Have you disabled Steam Input in the Controller settings for X4? (Right click on game icon in Steam, select Properties, select Controller). I've got the Thrustmaster 16000M HOTAS combo working fine here on Ubuntu 20.04.
I remember fiddling with those options but it's been a while. I'll have to give it another try

niccommander
x4

Post by niccommander » Sun, 26. Jun 22, 22:43

harkov wrote:
Wed, 8. Jun 22, 08:05
KMcr wrote:
Sun, 5. Jun 22, 23:49
harkov wrote:
I remember fiddling with those options but it's been a while. I'll have to give it another try
Did you find a solution to this Problem? I have the same problem here: viewtopic.php?p=5133465#p5133465

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Thu, 30. Jun 22, 16:08

Running latest version on Ubuntu.

ZYA police license reward for S is same as other factions 60,000 credits.
ZYA police license reward for P is not same as other factions of 60,000 credits but is 20,000 credits.

Specifically happening in Zyarth's Dominion IV and Zyarth's Dominion X 14k from station with X being owned by xenon.

DeathByte

Post by DeathByte » Wed, 17. Aug 22, 20:39

Well... i found one problem with my joystick and solve it by a little strange way
Game haven't separate deadzones for every axis and use general value for all, whats getting us deadzones for axises, whats we didn't need (throttle, yaw etc.)
Also, on systemwide, we may has fully calibrated device js profile, but game just didn't see it

I use Saitek x65f joystick, and i has jitter ingame with deadzones on zero, when in system and jstest all ok.
As i found, X4 use SDL2 lib for devices, and event model, when jstest uses js, and as result, we has this picture, whats similar to ingame:

But in contrary of SDL doc info about removing supprot of js, in fact, them support it. and if we do:
export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/jsX sdl2-jstest -t X (X - onumber of our device) we have this:
as we see, all axis calibrate and haven't jitter like in jstest

but not all that easy.
1 - SDL lib from game package doesnt recognise js model
2 - game prefer event over js even if we make export (not all times, see below)

So, solution, what's works for me on Arch/Manjaro (another distros may have different sdl lib build):
On GOG version:
1 - Going to ~/X4 foundations/game/lib and remove libSDL2-2.0.so.0

2- create simlink to system sdl lib:
ln -s /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 libSDL2-2.0.so.0

3 - add line to launch script in x4 root or game/testandlaunch: SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/jsX
in my case, i edit last line on testandlaunch.sh. It look like this:
SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js0 ./X4 "$@" 2>&1 -skipintro -language 7 -voicelanguage 44

4 -you can skip this step if game correctly recognize your device - in joystick settings your device most be visible twice with same name - one for js i one for evdev profile. On first time it didn't worked for me, but after reboot situation changed. well try first.

rm /dev/input/eventX - you may need sudo permissions for this. operation is safe - this profile recreates after every device connection to pc and autodeletes after unplug.
without this step, game continue to use event than js.

5 - well, launch game and enjoy :)

For checking your jsX and eventX you can use jstest-gtk for js / evtest(evtest-qt) for event

I hope, it been useful for anyone. (and devs make less buttsex way in future through make ingame device calibration, if they wan't need support js profiles :D )

Export of js also must works with another games, whats use sdl2 for input (tested on Project Wingman, but here you need only make export without tinkering anything)
Last edited by Terre on Thu, 18. Aug 22, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

GalCiv

Post by GalCiv » Sun, 28. Aug 22, 21:57

I was doing a bit of RE to figure out why I had no sound in the linux version and found that in X4 code you have:

Code: Select all

if (alcIsExtensionPresent(NULL, "ALC_enumeration_EXT"))
    {
        if (alcIsExtensionPresent(NULL, "ALC_enumerate_all_EXT"))
Those need to be in full caps ( ALC_ENUMERATION_EXT and ALC_ENUMERATE_ALL_EXT ). Once this is done it let me choose the output device and I was able to have sound working in the game.
I'm not too sure why default device doesn't work in X4, in simple openAL sample I made it works so I assume it's another bug.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Thu, 8. Sep 22, 12:43

It seems like hardware cursors in wlroots based Wayland compositors make the cursor in the game extremely dark. ( I tried it with Sway and Hyprland )
So dark that it's barely visible on the map and it makes the game near unplayable.

Graphics card: 6700xt (via radv)
Distro: NixOS
Sway version: 1.8 git but it also happens with 1.7.
X4 version: 5.10 but I tried all kinds of old versions with the same symptoms.

I apologize in advance. I had to record those with my phone camera because the screenshot tool I am using sets the cursors to software to take the screenshots.
Dark cursor: https://i.imgur.com/ijY3GgA.jpg
Bright cursor: https://i.imgur.com/Hs9Db1G.jpg

I haven't had any other game with the dark cursor issue, so I am not sure if the culprit is Sway, xwayland or the game itself.
Last edited by fallenwizard on Wed, 12. Oct 22, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Tue, 11. Oct 22, 10:02

fallenwizard wrote:
Thu, 8. Sep 22, 12:43
It seems like hardware cursors in wlroots based Wayland compositors make the cursor in the game extremely dark.
Not convinced this is a wayland / compositor thing TBH, I'm running on X11 and I have the same problem.
fallenwizard wrote:
Thu, 8. Sep 22, 12:43
So dark that it's barely visible on the map and it makes the game near unplayable.
Yeah, it's horrible. Not just the map either, the mouse cursor is pretty much invisible eveywhere.

fallenwizard
x4

Post by fallenwizard » Wed, 12. Oct 22, 08:52

steve_v wrote:
Tue, 11. Oct 22, 10:02
Not convinced this is a wayland / compositor thing TBH, I'm running on X11 and I have the same problem.
I managed to work around this using gamescope for now. (I assume it's because it doesn't support hardware cursors?).

I appreciate it if Egosoft can take a look at it because it seriously hampers my enjoyment of the game.

Infector
xr

Post by Infector » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 21:33

Edit: It is fixed, something in the vulkan version i used was broken.

I wonder what happened but my X4 suddenly stopped working. I can't launch it and the debug log doesn't show anything. It's the only game showing this behavior, despite me running games via Proton. X4 doesn't announce and incompatible Vulkan instance or anything and just doesn't create any instance.

Kernel Info
Linux PCName 5.10.9-051009-generic #202101191835 SMP x86_64 GNU/Linux
Windowmanager is xfce 4.14
Vulkaninfo
https://pastebin.com/3zXFYJGA
Debug.txt
https://pastebin.com/hBszYhqS
AMD gpu info via "lshw -c video"
*-display
Beschreibung: VGA compatible controller
Produkt: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570X/580/580X/590]
Hersteller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Physische ID: 0
Bus-Informationen: pci@0000:27:00.0
Version: e7
Breite: 64 bits
Takt: 33MHz
Fähigkeiten: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
Konfiguration: driver=amdgpu latency=0
Ressourcen: irq:109 memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f01fffff ioport:f000(Größe=256) memory:fe800000-fe83ffff memory:c0000-dffff

bufi
x4

Post by bufi » Thu, 29. Dec 22, 22:37

Hello there!

thx DEVs for linux version of X4. Its looking great and working nice.
My first 100hrs in X4 played just only on i5‑1155G7 builtin graphics card, 32GB RAM and Linux Fedora on 6.x kernel.
I have absolutely no tech issues on that configuration. I had a very good time while playing.
Yea, on empty space ~20fps, on deck or on station ~10-12fps(!!) 8)

Now im changed a hardware to i7-1165G7, RTX2060 and 64GB RAM (3200) and have 60-90 fps on high settings(except volumetric fog to low). have no issues, game runs smooth and stable.

Thanks again and Happy New year.

Waiting for Borons :)

Aradayn
x4

Post by Aradayn » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 19:29

Love the Linux version! Too bad you're not releasing the beta for Linux on GoG, but I understand. Unfortunately I won't be able to help test since I don't own the Steam version.

Will we still see the 6.0 update on GoG once it gets out of beta?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 19:33

Of course. :)

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 14:48

I wonder how is the experience of the new 6.0 beta on Linux? I own the game on GOG, but am tempted to buy on Steam, just to play with the new beta (and have faster updates, as GOG frequently takes days or even weeks to release Linux version updates).

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sun, 22. Jan 23, 23:56

Reinis wrote:
Sun, 22. Jan 23, 14:48
I wonder how is the experience of the new 6.0 beta on Linux? I own the game on GOG, but am tempted to buy on Steam, just to play with the new beta (and have faster updates, as GOG frequently takes days or even weeks to release Linux version updates).
Broken, there's a large known bug for non-windows that prevents buying ships. More it eats your money, but doesn't give you the ship.

EDIT: The above is now fixed, so long as you have Beta 2 that was released today! Per beta patchnotes:
[Beta 2] Fixed player being unable to buy ships (Linux only, problem introduced in 6.00).

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 21:47

Save game location?!?

I quick saved prior to exiting the game to update to beta 3. Was going to backup the save prior to loading.
My quicksave in ./config/egosoft/x4/<number>/save/quicksave.xml.gz is dated 12/14/2022 not 02/09/2023

So where exactly is my save and how do I make a backup?!?

Update: In thunar for some reason I did not have write access to the save folder so I did not see them in file manager.
When I opened a terminal window I was able to see the files and updates. Very frustrating :(
Last edited by sirprosik on Fri, 10. Feb 23, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 21:55

@ sirprosik: Are you perhaps doing your beta testing on a different gaming account, in which case the <number> bit may be different? Otherwise check the path(s) for copied branches to differentiate between backed-up release gameplay and current beta testing play.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 15. Feb 23, 06:59

Hello Devs!

I am continuing to run into an issue as seen here: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=449461

The mouse option I tried didn't work. I'm running Garuda with kernel 6.1.8 Zen, KDE Plasma or Cinnamon 5.6.7, on a Ryzen 5600x, RTX 3070 with proprietary drivers. A Virpil MT50 1st generation base with Constellation Alpha grip and a VKB Gladiator K. GOG version of X4, latest non-beta patch.

Game receives phantom inputs almost like having an oversensitive mouse in KDE and Cinnamon. If I keep my paws off the mouse everything works fine and the UI doesn't receive the inputs. Also X4 has started detecting an Xbox controller that I don't have. I sometimes have a PS5 controller connected but it currently isn't.

Game is hand modified to give myself some cash.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 15. Feb 23, 12:59

@ ASCI Blue: Make sure that your mouse analogue outputs are not bound to multiple functions nor bound to the games digital inputs as that might give the 'either off or else full on' behaviour that you describe.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 15. Feb 23, 18:14

If I understood your comment correctly, Alan, thanks for the help too, I removed all mouse references from everything aside the mouse section of X4's Settings. Strangely, and my mistake for not mentioning this before, it doesn't happen in Windows. Additionally if I turn off the Virpil stick at it's hub, then the problem also goes away and X4 uses the mouse.

I confirmed a few hours ago 15 Feb that it's the Virpil stick causing the problem. When I remove it from X4 at the hub or in game everything works as it should. It seems it is overly sensitive and the deadzone in game doesn't work I tried maxing it out with no effect.

Also confirmed that X4 deadzones do work, I ramped it up to 100% and the stick stopped responding. I put a deadzone on the stick itself via it's firmware updater with no change in results.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”