Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

paiku
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by paiku » Mon, 22. Jan 24, 03:13

Hi, I am recently playing X4 on my steam deck and I am having overall a good time. Sometimes it crashes and that maybe has to do with a memory leak in combination with proton or something. so I tried the native version.

however if I try to emulate the mouse with gyro or trackpad the cursor just flickers around and I could not use it properly.
if I use trackpad while holding the steam button it works normally(this is the real mouse mode of the steam deck).

if I play the proton version however it works just fine.
Does anyone knows if there is a setting I maybe missed that needs to be changed in the native version?

EDIT: Ok it seems that deactivating Gamepad mode in X4 controls settings fixes the problem.

patenteapoil

Post by patenteapoil » Tue, 20. Feb 24, 03:38

kerberizer wrote:
Sat, 26. Aug 23, 15:13

Not sure if it is the same problem as yours, but after the recent upgrade to pipewire 0.3.78 (or perhaps something connected to it) I lost all audio in the game, with the sound configuration showing only "Default system device" and "Default JACK device". Using the system libopenal.so.1 brought back the correct devices, the intro sound and some of the other sounds, but only some (e.g. only the music and sounds of the oldest, "X4: Foundations", main menu screen would work).

In the end, changing the default OpenAL device to PulseAudio worked for me. Easiest with "ALSOFT_DRIVERS=pulse %command%" in X4 launch options in Steam.
Thanks so much for finding this, I was having so much trouble finding out why this game was the only one not cooperating with my pipewire sinks

phomes

Post by phomes » Tue, 27. Feb 24, 17:58

Hi,

I am one of the developers of NVK; a new open source nvidia vulkan driver for linux. We are making progress on getting the driver to a state where it can run X4 Foundations. There is an issue with the game that we have to work around. When the game detects that the driver is using nvidia vendor ID, then it does a numeric check on the driver version and refuses to start if the driver is below a recent nvidia driver version. NVK is part of Mesa, and there the version in development is currently 24.1.

I was wondering if there is a chance that the game could only do this check if the driver used is actually nvidias own proprietary driver?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 27. Feb 24, 18:25

I'll ask the relevant person whether this is something we can implement. Please bear in mind, though, that even if we can, the change wouldn't happen until the next time we publish a planned update. We're not really in a position to do a hotfix for it.

emptyhead41

Post by emptyhead41 » Mon, 25. Mar 24, 20:21

using the -logfile parameter on the current (6.20) gog linux build results in the desktop freezing. Have to kill the console to get control back. Other parameters seem to work ok. Is there anyone else on linux able to confirm this? Trying to get started modding but it's not as straightforward on linux as it was on windows

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”