Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

brume
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by brume » Thu, 20. Apr 23, 19:26

Hello everybody,

It appears that the game with venture expansion won't launch.
I don't know if the problem is specific to the Linux port, but I suppose so.

I was fine launching the beta until I restarted, signed-on, and enabled venture expansion download and update. After I restarted the game and it won't launch at this point.

I will try with Proton and update this post.

Edit : Oops, I think I posted in the wrong forum, sorry for the inconvenience.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 13:27

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me here.

I am running Ubuntu 22.04 with the KDE desktop.

I have been playing X4 with all the DLC installed on a GTX1660Ti and last night swapped that for an RX6700XT

I installed the driver from the AMD website.

Only 2 games do not work. One of them is X4: Foundations. That is to say - because I can now play Horizon Zero Dawn via steam play at almost 200fp then I can be fairly certain that my driver is installed correctly.

When I click play in steam the usual window pops up but then it goes back to the green "Play" button.

I have completely reinstalled X4 to no avail

I have run X4 from the console but there is no useful output

I have run X4 with -logfile debug.txt to produce a logfile but that contains only a single line stating that logging has started.

I have also used the guide that says delete various files such as config.xml and uidata.xml

So I am at a loss as to what to try next.,

Can anyone help?
I am a rock in the wind, watch how I plummet!
Gamer Girl since 1981 Mistress of Heavy Landings since 1984 (BBC-B Elite)

Corei7 7700, 16GB Ram, MSI RX6700XT, Sidewinder FFB2, Kubuntu 22.04

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 14:52

Per requirements, X4 requires open source mesa drivers for AMD, not compatible with the proprietary drivers from AMD. If you mean to say you installed the open source mesa drivers, I suggest not using AMD website but the distro package as they often have to change to fit the kernel. Next thing will be to run steam i via command line to see if it's a nursing library or other area. Beyond this, we cannot give any answers as you've not attached the required artifacts for any support ticket, per sticky

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 22. Apr 23, 15:26

Rastuasi wrote:
Sat, 22. Apr 23, 14:52
Per requirements, X4 requires open source mesa drivers for AMD, not compatible with the proprietary drivers from AMD. If you mean to say you installed the open source mesa drivers, I suggest not using AMD website but the distro package as they often have to change to fit the kernel. Next thing will be to run steam i via command line to see if it's a nursing library or other area. Beyond this, we cannot give any answers as you've not attached the required artifacts for any support ticket, per sticky
Thanks CBJ. I just worked this out :) X4 now runs. If I can just check one last thing.. I have a Core i7-7700 and an RX6700XT and I get 30fps on stations and about 40fps in space does this sound normal for my CPU? Remembering that the game is CPU bottlenecked due to it's amazing complexity.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sun, 23. Apr 23, 15:10

NewtSoup wrote:
Sat, 22. Apr 23, 15:26
Rastuasi wrote:
Thanks CBJ. I just worked this out :) X4 now runs. If I can just check one last thing.. I have a Core i7-7700 and an RX6700XT and I get 30fps on stations and about 40fps in space does this sound normal for my CPU? Remembering that the game is CPU bottlenecked due to it's amazing complexity.
Actually I will answer my own question there: Yes, for my system i7-7700 @ 3.6ghz and an RX6700xt and 16gb ram. 20-30fps on stations and 40-60fps in space is pretty typical for my hardware and the same performance in Linux as in Windows.

NewtSoup
x4

Post by NewtSoup » Sat, 29. Apr 23, 21:51

An observation.

For my system ( specified above ) I get a better frame rate when using SSAA over MSAA. ( 30fps in stations using SSAA over 20fps in stations using MSAA and higher framerates in space too ). The fly in my ointment is that when using SSAA distant asteroids appear as a grid of white pixels before they pop into view fully.

Probably Linux GPU Driver oddness. I will stick with the SSAA because more frames are good! - getting 75fps in space now.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 10. May 23, 19:37

NewtSoup wrote:
Sat, 29. Apr 23, 21:51
An observation.

For my system ( specified above ) I get a better frame rate when using SSAA over MSAA. ( 30fps in stations using SSAA over 20fps in stations using MSAA and higher framerates in space too ). The fly in my ointment is that when using SSAA distant asteroids appear as a grid of white pixels before they pop into view fully.

Probably Linux GPU Driver oddness. I will stick with the SSAA because more frames are good! - getting 75fps in space now.
I found with with X4 on Linux too. SSAA 2x runs much much better than MSAA 2x even if that is crazy and outright illogical considering SSAA is much more heavier than MSAA.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 10. May 23, 19:39

NewtSoup wrote:
Sun, 23. Apr 23, 15:10
NewtSoup wrote:
Sat, 22. Apr 23, 15:26
Rastuasi wrote:
Actually I will answer my own question there: Yes, for my system i7-7700 @ 3.6ghz and an RX6700xt and 16gb ram. 20-30fps on stations and 40-60fps in space is pretty typical for my hardware and the same performance in Linux as in Windows.
Try to find how to install Gamemode in your distro to try sip that bit more extra perf through the OS :mrgreen:

sohio
x3

Post by sohio » Tue, 16. May 23, 21:31

Hi,

I have problems with new AMD graphics, the game is not starting.
System:

Code: Select all

Radeon RX 7900 XT
Xubuntu 22.04 with HWE (5.19.0-41)
AMD-Driver install with amdgpu-install (5.4.50405)  --usecase=graphics,rocm --vulkan=amdvlk --no-32
relevant console output:

.steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=392160 -- .steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '.steam/steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations/testandlaunch' -logfile debugX4.txt", ProcID 17163
Content of the logfile:

Logfile started, time Tue May 16 21:12:46 2023
any advices?

xrogaan
x4

Post by xrogaan » Thu, 18. May 23, 01:12

sohio wrote:
Tue, 16. May 23, 21:31
Hi,

I have problems with new AMD graphics, the game is not starting.
System:

Radeon RX 7900 XT
Xubuntu 22.04 with HWE (5.19.0-41)
AMD-Driver install with amdgpu-install (5.4.50405)  --usecase=graphics,rocm --vulkan=amdvlk --no-32
relevant console output:

.steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=392160 -- .steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-launch-wrapper -- '.steam/steam/steamapps/common/X4 Foundations/testandlaunch' -logfile debugX4.txt", ProcID 17163
What gets written to stdout after that one line? If it's a crash, you should see something obvious.

Might be Xorg or a driver issue though, so check the relevant logs for those. On classic systems it should be /var/log/kern.log

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Fri, 19. May 23, 09:55

sohio wrote:
Tue, 16. May 23, 21:31
any advices?
As per the conversation beginning ~7 posts above yours, try mesa/radv rather than amdvlk.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Tue, 30. May 23, 03:11

So got a new sound issue,

Fresh install of Garuda running kernel 6.3.4, RTX 3070, only have Pipewire installed, NO wireplumber. Problem applies to bluetooth AND wireless Logitech G933 headset. Fresh install of X4 plus all DLC GOG version.

Some sounds play, most don't. I can get what I think are ambient sounds during flight training the brring makes noise and I hear shuffling of feat and the ding ding ding, no music, no speech.

I tried before with Wireplumber, so far ALL Steam and I think all native KDE games work fine. Chrome for YouTube works fine, best I can tell the only thing that isn't functioning is X4. I tried the previous alsoft solution without success. I've tried starting X4 from both the start.sh script and .X4 in the game directory. Not sure if replacing GOG version with Steam version would solve the problem.

xrogaan
x4

Post by xrogaan » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:12

I am running both wireplumber and pipewire on Devuan (a debian derivative without systemd). I own and run the game through steam, and I do not experience any issue. Though, steam does comes with it's own unifying runtime, which may help in that regard.

I would suggest you find a way to run the GOG version through the steam runtime. There are various, differently named. I believe the default is named scout. The procedure would be to add an non-steam game, then go to the properties and force the compatibility to "Steam Linux Runtime". It may solve your sound issue. If it does not, then it may be an issue with your own system. I have solve issues from GOG games that way on my end. That or using the lutris launcher.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:28

For fun I decided to fire up ol'Lutris with the Windows version of things, running through Lutris with Proton Experimental everything works.

When I add to steam, because it's a linux native game, the Compatibility checkbox is not selectable. Sound still doesn't work properly. Running the linux version via Lutris results in the same amount of missing audio. The other few linux games outside the nonsense that came with KDE work just fine too. This really, far as I can tell, is limited to X4.

xrogaan wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 22:12
I am running both wireplumber and pipewire on Devuan (a debian derivative without systemd). I own and run the game through steam, and I do not experience any issue. Though, steam does comes with it's own unifying runtime, which may help in that regard.

I would suggest you find a way to run the GOG version through the steam runtime. There are various, differently named. I believe the default is named scout. The procedure would be to add an non-steam game, then go to the properties and force the compatibility to "Steam Linux Runtime". It may solve your sound issue. If it does not, then it may be an issue with your own system.

xrogaan
x4

Post by xrogaan » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:41

ASCI Blue wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 22:28
For fun I decided to fire up ol'Lutris with the Windows version of things, running through Lutris with Proton Experimental everything works.

When I add to steam, because it's a linux native game, the Compatibility checkbox is not selectable. Sound still doesn't work properly. Running the linux version via Lutris results in the same amount of missing audio. The other few linux games outside the nonsense that came with KDE work just fine too. This really, far as I can tell, is limited to X4.
You can definitively select the Steam Linux Runtime, as I just did it ;-). It's at the bottom of the list of proton stuff.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Tue, 30. May 23, 23:46

So not sure what happened but I logged out and now I can click that check box. Even more strange, if I quit the game the box goes back to being unselectable. There is however no change in audio. Wonder if maybe the main file got corrupted during download.

looks like it may well have been a corrupted something, installed and tested after each DLC, with all DLC installed audio now works. I'm confused af now.

xrogaan wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 22:41
ASCI Blue wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 22:28

You can definitively select the Steam Linux Runtime, as I just did it ;-). It's at the bottom of the list of proton stuff.

xrogaan
x4

Post by xrogaan » Wed, 31. May 23, 01:02

Yes, it looks like a steam UI bug. I experience the same behavior. Sound issue may be due to your hardware or pipewire configuration.

ASCI Blue

Post by ASCI Blue » Wed, 31. May 23, 01:27

I vaguely remember seeing some weird stuff happen during the download, didn't think anything of it. Either way it works now after redownloading the main game install file.

Uwestern

Post by Uwestern » Wed, 31. May 23, 12:44

Hi,

Problem: Game uses english keyboard layout even though a german keyboard driver is successfully installed. As a result, some keys are not working.

Details: My shell (ubuntu 22.4) is successfully using a German keyboard layout. Within the (german spoken) game the keyboard layout perfectly works in english. This can be verified within the controls layout interface. There is no general problem when keys are exchanged, however some keys are missing. To me it seems as if the game is using some default instead of the correct one.

Any idea?

Regards,
Uwe

remisc
x4

Post by remisc » Mon, 24. Jul 23, 22:43

Hello All,

I am having some performance issues specifically with fog (no, not volumetric, just all regular fogs).
Although for completeness I did test on all presets which include volumetric fog.
But please note the results on low preset in particular.
If any of you has any ideas that could explain what I see then please let me know.

Following the template from the sticky:
  • Version and language:

X4: Foundations
    en-US
    All official DLCs installed (split, kingdom, cradle, tides, ventures)
  • Whether or not your game is modified using any third party scripts or mods (see note below):
    no, pure vanilla (mod used only for this issue troubleshooting, but it unresolved then I'll need to switch to it permanently)
  • Game start being played:
    Untested Explorer
  • Exact nature of the problem, where and when it occurs and what you were doing at the time
    I am seeing unnaturally high impact of fog / steam / gas / nebule on performance to the point
    that I am wondering that something may be wrong with my setup.
    Mind you I am not talking about volumetric fog about which I see many similar
    performance issues. I see issues even on low preset with volumetric fog disabled.
    I see major slowdowns not only in foggy sectors but also constantly on stations.
    The test scenario I was looking at this time was clouds/asteroids in heretics end but
    I see the same thing in other places (see the details in points below)

I point to fog because after a bit of troubleshooting I stumbled on fog removal
    mod and those are the numbers I see:
    https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/586
    mirror just in case: https://drive.google.com/file/d/117jir5 ... sp=sharing

version    | resolution (no AA) | settings          | fps
    -----------+--------------------+-------------------+-----
    vanilla    | 4k                 | ultra             | 20
    vanilla    | 4k                 | ultra no vol fog  | 28
    vanilla    | 4k                 | high              | 26
    vanilla    | 4k                 | high no vol fog   | 30
    vanilla    | 4k                 | medium            | 38
    vanilla    | 4k                 | medium no vol fog | 40
    vanilla    | 4k                 | low               | 41
    vanilla    | 1080p              | ultra             | 68
    vanilla    | 1080p              | ultra no vol fog  | 88
    vanilla    | 1080p              | high              | 80
    vanilla    | 1080p              | high no vol fog   | 84
    vanilla    | 1080p              | medium            | 80
    vanilla    | 1080p              | medium no vol fog | 88
    vanilla    | 1080p              | low               | 84
    no fog mod | 4k                 | ultra             | 42
    no fog mod | 4k                 | ultra  no vol fog | 58
    no fog mod | 4k                 | high              | 53
    no fog mod | 4k                 | high  no vol fog  | 64
    no fog mod | 4k                 | medium            | 76
    no fog mod | 4k                 | medium no vol fog | 87
    no fog mod | 4k                 | low               | 85
    no fog mod | 1080p              | ultra             | 80
    no fog mod | 1080p              | ultra no vol fog  | 88
    no fog mod | 1080p              | high              | 80
    no fog mod | 1080p              | high no vol fog   | 85
    no fog mod | 1080p              | medium            | 82
    no fog mod | 1080p              | medium no vol fog | 86
    no fog mod | 1080p              | low               | 85

The performance of 4k low is almost the same as 4k ultra with fog removed.
    And I'd expect less of a difference on low preset where there is no volumetric fog to be removed/disabled.

Edit:
    Added results on all presets with volumetric fog disabled (set to med/hi/ultra preset, change to custom to unlock, change volumetric fog to off, check fps)
    This should show that having a fog enabled or not has much bigger impact than going from volumetric fog off to high

Also: it's not like the mod disables all fog, I see it is still clearly visible in many sectors:
    Sanctuary of darkness: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-8bGth ... sp=sharing
    Kingdom end: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15q8vhK ... sp=sharing
    And I can get solid 55-60 fps with a bit of tweaking: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q5izsb ... sp=sharing

This is not true, the fog is gone, just not in those 2 sectors, see my next post

Don't get me wrong: I do understand that fog is a visual feature that needs to be rendered
    and is not free but the impact is so unnaturally big that I can get above 60fps
    either playing on 1080p vanilla or 4k with fog removal mod.

Seeing this impact I'd expect a setting to disable fog given that there are
    many other settings that govern much less impactful features (both in visual
    and performance aspect).
    There is no such setting and I don't see performance problem
    issues mention non-volumetric fog so this smells more like some driver issue.

- Is there some known issue with some kernel versions?
    - Or maybe this is normal non-volumetric fog is really that impactful and devs simply didn't
    think to add a toggle for it?
    - Maybe the volumetric setting set to "off" is not working properly? (see what the mod does - it mostly changes densify factors for some volumetric fields)
    - Do any of you playing on AMD gpus see similar numbers?
    - Any suggestions or comments about whether what I am seeing is normal or not would be appreciated.
  • Any possibly relevant changes you have made to your game, system, or software before the issue occurred:
    No, I see this from day 1 of starting the game
  • Where appropriate, additional symptoms, error messages, links to saves *,screenshots and crash dump files (see this Wiki entry).:
    screenshot of example scene from Heretics End but the same thing happens in many other
    sectors and constantly on stations (docked ship engine steam, etc.):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-eaI0C ... sp=sharing
    save game: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_y4vSt ... sp=sharing
  • Your system specifications in the form of a DxDiag report and vulkaninfo (see this Wiki entry).**:
    CPU: Ryzen 3700X
    GPU: RX 6700 (10GB vram)
    memory: 128 GB 3200Mhz
    SSD: samsung 970 pro 512GB
    monitor: 4k
    linux kernel 6.4.4 with open source amdgpu kernel driver
    tried 2 vulkan userspace drivers with as far as I see similar performance results (mesa being marginally faster):
    vulkaninfo (amdvlk): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UScK6v ... sp=sharing
    vulkaninfo (mesa/radv): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CBH0KC ... sp=sharing

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”