Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

illeatmyhat

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by illeatmyhat » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 09:28

Playing on Intel graphics, I've noticed that there's issues with lighting.
This happens whether I'm playing the native version, or using Proton.

Essentially, whether objects are lit or not depends entirely on the camera's rotation, completely ignoring the object's position and orientation.
This means that non-emissive objects in the scene can be completely completely black when facing one direction, and lit when facing the other direction.

This has happened in a few other games before, and while I suspect it may be a general issue with Intel drivers, it was fixed in one game by using a more recent version of Proton.

Specs:
Fedora 35, Linux 5.15.12-200
Intel i7-1165G7
Iris Xe 11th Gen integrated graphics
64GB RAM
Mesa 21.3.3-1

The attached pictures are of the Wreck seen in the Flight School tutorial, from different positions.
https://i.imgur.com/J8m2IcB.png
https://i.imgur.com/V69bIGE.png
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 11. Jan 22, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oversize images -> links.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 11:08

Please be aware that Intel integrated graphics chipsets do not meet the minimum requirements for the game, as they are stated on the Steam and GOG store pages. So while issues that show up with that hardware may end up being fixed, either by us or by the owners of the drivers, this is unlikely to become a priority item to deal with.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 20:47

illeatmyhat wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 09:28
Playing on Intel graphics, I've noticed that there's issues with lighting.
This happens whether I'm playing the native version, or using Proton.

Essentially, whether objects are lit or not depends entirely on the camera's rotation, completely ignoring the object's position and orientation.
This means that non-emissive objects in the scene can be completely completely black when facing one direction, and lit when facing the other direction.

This has happened in a few other games before, and while I suspect it may be a general issue with Intel drivers, it was fixed in one game by using a more recent version of Proton.

Specs:
Fedora 35, Linux 5.15.12-200
Intel i7-1165G7
Iris Xe 11th Gen integrated graphics
64GB RAM
Mesa 21.3.3-1

The attached pictures are of the Wreck seen in the Flight School tutorial, from different positions.
https://i.imgur.com/J8m2IcB.png
https://i.imgur.com/V69bIGE.png

Have you dedicated 8GB to VRAM?
FYI Intel IGP is well bellow specs.

wildsalarian

Post by wildsalarian » Sun, 6. Mar 22, 11:16

The german DLCs for Linux on GOG still have no update for version 4.20.
Seems that the english DLCs are the only ones that were updated to 4.20.
I admit that this combination is quite specific (non mainstream OS, non mainstream distritbution platform, non mainstream language), so the demand not being that high is kinda understandable.
Since 4.20 is now released for several months I assume we can rule out the usual GOG delay. So what is the current state on this topic?

beko
x4

Post by beko » Mon, 7. Mar 22, 09:12

wildsalarian wrote:
Sun, 6. Mar 22, 11:16
The german DLCs for Linux on GOG still have no update for version 4.20.
Aw s***, here we go again. You may be in luck with my Frankenstein approach: https://beko.famkos.net/2021/03/17/x4-c ... x-and-gog/

Didn't try this with 4.20 yet (busy with Elite) but it will probably just work.

Or you wait until GOG gets its s**** together. Again!

omgoshlol

Post by omgoshlol » Tue, 15. Mar 22, 22:14

having trouble with audio. I see no output in pavucontrol. when I swap audio devices in game it crashes. no sound when I disconnect my bluetooth and other devices so I only have onboard.

using pipewire + steam + nixos
same thing happens in flatpak steam
tried proton it refuses to boot

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Wed, 16. Mar 22, 02:06

Pipewire has problems in so many other ways, no issues here with Pulseaudio/Alsa

wildsalarian

Post by wildsalarian » Sat, 19. Mar 22, 08:46

Just wanted to drop that with the new 5.0 Update all versions on GOG are now updated within one day. Even the hotfixes. Thank you Egosoft and GOG :)

sgtnasty
x4

Post by sgtnasty » Sat, 19. Mar 22, 14:18

Want to add that this latest version works for me now on Linux with Optimus. Im running it on Fedora via Steam flatpak and it runs great. Its jus that I had to quit it a few times before it ran ok. It loads everything for the splash screen then hangs. If I alt-tab to another app and back then the main menu shows up and I can play.

Reinis
x4

Post by Reinis » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 16:09

Just switched to Fedora 35 from PopOS, now the GOG Linux version throws an error:

Code: Select all

./X4: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I installed the bzip2-devel package, as suggested for similar errors online, but no go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

_JD_
x4

Post by _JD_ » Sun, 24. Apr 22, 20:21

I don't have Fedora but I'm pretty confident this should work: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comment ... &context=3

harkov
x4

Post by harkov » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 21:05

I just got a joystick and the game recognizes it just fine as in I can select it as an input. However it won't respond to movement on the stick itself.
I've tried jstest-gtk to test if the joystick was working and that detects the input just fine. I'm using the Steam version of X4

Moderato_bei_X
x4

Post by Moderato_bei_X » Wed, 11. May 22, 06:14

After playing quite a while, I'd just like to say "thank you".

In a 24 hour play session, I haven't seen a single crash. The performance might have degraded slightly, but everything was running fine.

Other than the graphics reinitialization issue, it's working really well and might not even need to be tagged as a beta any longer. I've been wondering why it isn't called a proper release yet.

I don't know if you are doing the Linux porting stuff in-house or via external contractors, but I'm indefinitely grateful for having it and that you show interest in such a niche. I loved the game series in 2000 and I still love it and your AAA-grade dedication in 2022.
Course.setCourse[_%e00FF00FF00FF00FFset%ei]
.byOS[4D6963726F66742057696E646F777320544520286329032313135]
00FFl_ified00FF00FF00FF{fail%re}

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Wed, 11. May 22, 13:24

Moderato_bei_X wrote:
Wed, 11. May 22, 06:14

I don't know if you are doing the Linux porting stuff in-house or via external contractors, but I'm indefinitely grateful for having it and that you show interest in such a niche. I loved the game series in 2000 and I still love it and your AAA-grade dedication in 2022.
Last I knew, it's one guy that does the Linux support in house.

Akselmo
x4

Post by Akselmo » Sun, 29. May 22, 20:39

Reinis wrote:
Sun, 24. Apr 22, 16:09
Just switched to Fedora 35 from PopOS, now the GOG Linux version throws an error:

./X4: error while loading shared libraries: libbz2.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I installed the bzip2-devel package, as suggested for similar errors online, but no go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had same issue. I fixed it with following command

sudo ln -sT /usr/lib64/libbz2.so.1.0.8 /usr/lib64/libbz2.so.1.0

KMcr
x4

Post by KMcr » Sun, 5. Jun 22, 23:49

harkov wrote:
Tue, 26. Apr 22, 21:05
I just got a joystick and the game recognizes it just fine as in I can select it as an input. However it won't respond to movement on the stick itself.
I've tried jstest-gtk to test if the joystick was working and that detects the input just fine. I'm using the Steam version of X4
Have you disabled Steam Input in the Controller settings for X4? (Right click on game icon in Steam, select Properties, select Controller). I've got the Thrustmaster 16000M HOTAS combo working fine here on Ubuntu 20.04.

harkov
x4

Post by harkov » Wed, 8. Jun 22, 08:05

KMcr wrote:
Sun, 5. Jun 22, 23:49
harkov wrote:
Have you disabled Steam Input in the Controller settings for X4? (Right click on game icon in Steam, select Properties, select Controller). I've got the Thrustmaster 16000M HOTAS combo working fine here on Ubuntu 20.04.
I remember fiddling with those options but it's been a while. I'll have to give it another try

niccommander
x4

Post by niccommander » Sun, 26. Jun 22, 22:43

harkov wrote:
Wed, 8. Jun 22, 08:05
KMcr wrote:
Sun, 5. Jun 22, 23:49
harkov wrote:
I remember fiddling with those options but it's been a while. I'll have to give it another try
Did you find a solution to this Problem? I have the same problem here: viewtopic.php?p=5133465#p5133465

sirprosik
x4

Post by sirprosik » Thu, 30. Jun 22, 16:08

Running latest version on Ubuntu.

ZYA police license reward for S is same as other factions 60,000 credits.
ZYA police license reward for P is not same as other factions of 60,000 credits but is 20,000 credits.

Specifically happening in Zyarth's Dominion IV and Zyarth's Dominion X 14k from station with X being owned by xenon.

DeathByte

Post by DeathByte » Wed, 17. Aug 22, 20:39

Well... i found one problem with my joystick and solve it by a little strange way
Game haven't separate deadzones for every axis and use general value for all, whats getting us deadzones for axises, whats we didn't need (throttle, yaw etc.)
Also, on systemwide, we may has fully calibrated device js profile, but game just didn't see it

I use Saitek x65f joystick, and i has jitter ingame with deadzones on zero, when in system and jstest all ok.
As i found, X4 use SDL2 lib for devices, and event model, when jstest uses js, and as result, we has this picture, whats similar to ingame:

But in contrary of SDL doc info about removing supprot of js, in fact, them support it. and if we do:
export SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/jsX sdl2-jstest -t X (X - onumber of our device) we have this:
as we see, all axis calibrate and haven't jitter like in jstest

but not all that easy.
1 - SDL lib from game package doesnt recognise js model
2 - game prefer event over js even if we make export (not all times, see below)

So, solution, what's works for me on Arch/Manjaro (another distros may have different sdl lib build):
On GOG version:
1 - Going to ~/X4 foundations/game/lib and remove libSDL2-2.0.so.0

2- create simlink to system sdl lib:
ln -s /usr/lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0 libSDL2-2.0.so.0

3 - add line to launch script in x4 root or game/testandlaunch: SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/jsX
in my case, i edit last line on testandlaunch.sh. It look like this:
SDL_JOYSTICK_DEVICE=/dev/input/js0 ./X4 "$@" 2>&1 -skipintro -language 7 -voicelanguage 44

4 -you can skip this step if game correctly recognize your device - in joystick settings your device most be visible twice with same name - one for js i one for evdev profile. On first time it didn't worked for me, but after reboot situation changed. well try first.

rm /dev/input/eventX - you may need sudo permissions for this. operation is safe - this profile recreates after every device connection to pc and autodeletes after unplug.
without this step, game continue to use event than js.

5 - well, launch game and enjoy :)

For checking your jsX and eventX you can use jstest-gtk for js / evtest(evtest-qt) for event

I hope, it been useful for anyone. (and devs make less buttsex way in future through make ingame device calibration, if they wan't need support js profiles :D )

Export of js also must works with another games, whats use sdl2 for input (tested on Project Wingman, but here you need only make export without tinkering anything)
Last edited by Terre on Thu, 18. Aug 22, 07:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”