Linux Support (Beta)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BaronVerde
x4

Re: Linux Support (Beta)

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:51

I agree, if the game would do proper collision handling and pathfinding the setting could be on by default. Else one ends up either faffing among asteroids or in the roundabout. Yes, Roundabout. :-)

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 12:43

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 10:51
I agree, if the game would do proper collision handling and pathfinding the setting could be on by default. Else one ends up either faffing among asteroids or in the roundabout. Yes, Roundabout. :-)
That's a huge if you have put there...
As it was explained to me in X Rebirth (yes I suffered that one too), which was the "testbed" for the new game engine, it is practically impossible for the AI to avoid objects, because it sees only the "centre" of them while the objects have their (mostly "irregular", surely not circular) dimensions...
So, it boils down to a choice: Keep the DX engine and have good AI (or at least tolerable) with mediocre to good shades or switch to Vulkan and have nearly perfect shades but the AI is, practically, "blind" to the objects if they are not spherical?

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 13:23

The suffering :-)

But it doesn't have to be a huge if, at least I don't see it from game play.

Collision detection of that sort doesn't need heavy math. One can build data structures of bounding volumes that represent a shape or a group of such shapes, and can do so per frame/physics step. It is only when it comes close, overlapping or inside of concave objects that things get more mathematical and computation intensive. On my PC the game leaves 7 cores out of 8 almost unused, so there's a lot of leeway for game physics, and other games can do it just well.

That's just textbook stuff I wrote there, nothing special. To me it looks just as if that doesn't have high priority, or not as high as new content to keep people playing ...

And then there's the highway. If the asteroids have finally disapeared in the rear mirror, playership epically ends up on the trip in the strip. Very hip.
Last edited by BaronVerde on Fri, 2. Apr 21, 13:31, edited 1 time in total.

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 2. Apr 21, 13:30

BaronVerde wrote:
Fri, 2. Apr 21, 13:23
The suffering :-)

But it doesn't have to be a huge if, at least I don't see it from game play.

Collision detection of that sort doesn't need heavy math. One can build data structures of bounding volumes that represent a shape or a group of such shapes, and can do so per frame/physics step. It is only when it comes close, overlapping or inside of concave objects that things get more mathematical and computation intensive. On my PC the game leaves 7 cores out of 8 almost unused, so there's a lot of leeway for game physics, and other games can do it just well.

To me it looks just as if that doesn't have high priority, or not as high as new content to keep people playing ...

And then there's the highway. If the asteroids have finally disapeared in the rear mirror, playership epically ends up on the trip in the strip. Very hip.
I will not go into really technical details as this would "derail" the thread totally... or, at best, be totally off topic...

mAritz
x4

Post by mAritz » Tue, 6. Apr 21, 22:45

Has anyone here gotten MangoHud to work with X4 with the GOG version? For me it hangs during startup before it even goes to the black screen.

beko
x4

Post by beko » Wed, 7. Apr 21, 21:29

mAritz wrote:
Tue, 6. Apr 21, 22:45
Has anyone here gotten MangoHud to work with X4 with the GOG version? For me it hangs during startup before it even goes to the black screen.
This works for me with

Vulkan 1.2.148
MangoHud 0.6.1-14
amdgpu 19.1.0
X4 4.0 Hotfix 2

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 5. May 21, 09:35

Will we ever get a nosteam executable version for Linux?

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 5. May 21, 12:30

Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 09:35
Is there none for 4.0 ? 3.3 from GOG runs disconnected, but you surely know that ... :)

Edit: haven't tried because hesitant with 4.0, but apparently the new dlc and 4.0 on gog have Linux versions. I suspect that somebody probably would have shouted if it didn't work disconnected ...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Wed, 5. May 21, 13:31

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 12:30
Roeleveld wrote:
Wed, 5. May 21, 09:35
Is there none for 4.0 ? 3.3 from GOG runs disconnected, but you surely know that ... :)

Edit: haven't tried because hesitant with 4.0, but apparently the new dlc and 4.0 on gog have Linux versions. I suspect that somebody probably would have shouted if it didn't work disconnected ...
I have the game bought on Steam.
Windows users get a FREE nosteam exe file.
There is none on Linux.

My biggest problem with GoG is the lack of recent updates

awenger

Post by awenger » Mon, 17. May 21, 23:55

awenger wrote:
Tue, 16. Mar 21, 18:58
The workaround with "X4" -> "Properties..." -> "Controller" -> "Enable Steam Input" is also applicable for the release 4.0 version. I hope this "Steam Input" works properly....
This workaround is no longer working (for me) since today. I'm unsure what changed (x4 was not updated - I think. At least no major update listed in the overview). I think steam was installing updates before it started today.

As a brief summary about what is going wrong:
- If the ps4 gamepad is connected, it will no longer show the mouse cursor (sometimes it becomes visible for a split second). This means mouse input is no longer possible for the map/menus.
- As soon as I disconnect the ps4 controller (while still in the game), the mouse becomes usable again.

In general this means that x4 is no longer playable for me with a ps4 controller. Is there anything I can provide to help debug this issue?

beko
x4

Post by beko » Thu, 20. May 21, 20:08

awenger wrote:
Mon, 17. May 21, 23:55
This workaround is no longer working (for me) since today. I'm unsure what changed (x4 was not updated - I think. At least no major update listed in the overview). I think steam was installing updates before it started today.
I don't have the Steam version and I know it only like you describe it but with my X52 Pro.

When I launch my joystick calibration tools I see that some of the wheel knobs on the throttle controller change constantly somewhere in the 0.00xx range. It's not much but it seems to be enough for X4 to consider "Joystick Mode". After all this didn't happen with my old joystick that had only X and Y axes and no other rotary buttons.

Seems like configuring a deadzone in-game has no effect on the rotary buttons.

So my solution was to solder a salvaged on/off switch into the USB cable (see https://beko.famkos.net/2021/05/20/335356/ for picture). Problem solved. I wasn't happy with USB draining power all the time anyway :sceptic:

I'm aware that such usb interruptors can be purchased but I wanted to play and was furious already :shock:

Eraph
x3

Post by Eraph » Sat, 22. May 21, 07:30

Hi folks,

Having some trouble with textures here. I just downloaded the X4 4.0 with none of theDLC from Steam, looks like it's displaying normal maps in place of graphical textures:

https://cloud.rakhama.com/apps/files_sh ... calingup=0

I'm using Manjaro with all latest software installed. My machine has an Intel Core i7-1165G7 and no dedicated graphics (the game runs smoothly despite this).

I haven't been able to find any examples of others having the same issue. I have tried changing all graphic options to low or off, nothing changes this. All other games I have work fine on this machine.

Vulkaninfo can be found here.
Last edited by Terre on Sat, 22. May 21, 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked

Rastuasi
x4

Post by Rastuasi » Sun, 23. May 21, 06:43

Eraph wrote:
Sat, 22. May 21, 07:30
Hi folks,

Having some trouble with textures here. I just downloaded the X4 4.0 with none of theDLC from Steam, looks like it's displaying normal maps in place of graphical textures:

I'm using Manjaro with all latest software installed. My machine has an Intel Core i7-1165G7 and no dedicated graphics (the game runs smoothly despite this).

I haven't been able to find any examples of others having the same issue. I have tried changing all graphic options to low or off, nothing changes this. All other games I have work fine on this machine.

What's your VRAM? That looks like the GPU does not have the actual memory capacity for the textures.

awenger

Post by awenger » Sun, 23. May 21, 11:22

beko wrote:
Thu, 20. May 21, 20:08
So my solution was to solder a salvaged on/off switch into the USB cable (see https://beko.famkos.net/2021/05/20/335356/ for picture). Problem solved. I wasn't happy with USB draining power all the time anyway :sceptic:
You made my day, this work around is on a complete new level :D . But my ps4 gamepad is connected via Bluetooth. I tried to disconnect, reconnect it whenever I need mouse or gamepad input, but this takes too long to be a viable workaround (but yes this works).
In my case I'm also rather sure it is not caused by the hardware. The problematic behavior started once I updated to a 4.0 beta. And the problem also went away again once I rolled back to a 3.x version, but of course is now broken again after the update to 4.0. I described the problem here: viewtopic.php?f=192&t=434542&p=5020174#p5020174 , but sadly no reply since then. Could this be moved to the general technical support area or should I open a new one @moderators?
I found some interesting behavior in the meantime, if I disable "Gamepad Mode" in the "Controls" settings, the switching between mouse and gamepad input is working as it should. But sadly without gamepad mode many other parts are broken. For example dropdown menus are hard to/sometimes impossible to click with the mouse.

Eraph
x3

Post by Eraph » Mon, 24. May 21, 11:40

Rastuasi wrote:
Sun, 23. May 21, 06:43
Eraph wrote:
Hi folks,

What's your VRAM? That looks like the GPU does not have the actual memory capacity for the textures.

glxinfo | egrep -i 'device|memory'
Device: Mesa Intel(R) Iris(R) Graphics 540 (SKL GT3) (0x1926)
Video memory: 3072MB
Just enough :)

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Mon, 24. May 21, 13:38

Eraph wrote:
Mon, 24. May 21, 11:40
Rastuasi wrote:
Eraph wrote:
Hi folks,

I doubt the iGPU from an Intel CPU would be enough.

Minimum is:
Nvidia GTX 780/970 or AMD equivalent (Vulkan support required)

Eraph
x3

Post by Eraph » Tue, 25. May 21, 05:06

Roeleveld wrote:
Mon, 24. May 21, 13:38
Eraph wrote:
Rastuasi wrote:

Minimum is:
Integrated GPUs are surprisingly capable. I'm confident the GPU can handle it - the game does run smoothly, just not with the right textures. Would like to know if anyone can confirm that this is a symptom of running on integrated graphics or if it could be something else.

Roeleveld
x4

Post by Roeleveld » Tue, 25. May 21, 06:32

Eraph wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 05:06
Roeleveld wrote:
Eraph wrote:

Minimum is:
Integrated GPUs are surprisingly capable. I'm confident the GPU can handle it - the game does run smoothly, just not with the right textures. Would like to know if anyone can confirm that this is a symptom of running on integrated graphics or if it could be something else.
I know they can manage more than most would expect, but when it comes to games with demanding graphics, they tend to fall short.

About the symptoms, I've seen it in a different thread on here, from someone else (I think) who was using an iGPU.

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Tue, 25. May 21, 12:05

Looks like you're pretty much on your own with that one, @Eraph. I understand Egosoft says the minimum is a gtx 970 or equivalent. The Intel Xe is waaay below, I read when searching benchmarks, comparable to the HD620 you had before.

Unfortunately, the program doesn't issue a warning when it encounters insufficient resources, But I join the chorus, you might want to consider a dedicated graphics card for gaming in general. The onboard graphics is good only for serious work ... :-)

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Eraph
x3

Post by Eraph » Tue, 25. May 21, 12:14

Roeleveld wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 06:32
Eraph wrote:
Tue, 25. May 21, 05:06
Roeleveld wrote:

Minimum is:
I know they can manage more than most would expect, but when it comes to games with demanding graphics, they tend to fall short.

About the symptoms, I've seen it in a different thread on here, from someone else (I think) who was using an iGPU.
I did a benchmark comparison and I'll agree it looks grim. However, with graphics set to Medium it runs completely smoothly in the station. I've put the settings up to Ultra and I'm getting about 10-15fps in the station. I think that's respectable for a laptop (so no chance of an upgrade) iGPU, I'm pretty sure its performance is not the issue here, and there are always options to lower the demands on the GPU. Incompatibility with a shader, maybe? Reason I'm saying this is because it doesn't struggle with polygon count or post-processing, just seems really odd that the normal map seems to be taking the place of the colour texture.

Notice that the planet has the correct texture:

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”