Map starts scrolling automatically due to mouse - Workarounds here

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sleecc
x4

Map starts scrolling automatically due to mouse - Workarounds here

Post by Sleecc » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 14:11

Im using a Saitek X52 and mouse.

All is working great BUT ... when I press M for map and then use my mouse to select or right click structures to issue commands (I use joystick mainly for flying, mouse for menus) ... my map then starts to automatically scroll in one direction.

I though it was my joystick, disabled it ... and it wasnt that. As soon as I move my mouse ... the map starts to scroll in that direction I moved mouse .... so the mouse causes this .... and it is VERY VERY annoying to focus on structures and issue commands while map is also slowly moving/ scrolling! ... especially when you are in the heat of a battle.

Anyone had same experience with the mouse + map + scrolling (slowly starts to scroll to one side, depending on which direction I moved mouse, instead of map standing still ....WTF...AAARGG!)

Can any pls tell me where I can stop this auto scrolling of my map caused by moving my mouse??

Goal: I press M, map opens (ship can do whatever) and the map stands STILL while I select structures and issue commands. The map should ALWAYS stand still not scroll .... only when I reach the edges of screen it should scroll.

Sleecc
x4

Re: Map starts scrolling automatically due to mouse - disable where?

Post by Sleecc » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 15:01

<<<Did some more testing .... Joystick is causing this. I guess I need to redefine the dead zones ..... >>

Did not change anything .... switching from Joystick to mouse and other way around, causes it.
Last edited by Sleecc on Mon, 3. Dec 18, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.

101khazaddum

Re: Map starts scrolling automatically due to mouse - disable where?

Post by 101khazaddum » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 15:28

I have the same game controller - and i did all the usual things - still wandered - but it was then i thought about my G502 mouse - downloaded the latest driver and performed the mouse calibration - moving in figure of 8 on my gaming mat - now all is good no wondering map - nerver thought it would be a mouse issue and not a controller

Neofit
x4

Re: Map starts scrolling automatically due to mouse - Workarounds here

Post by Neofit » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 18:29

I have a Saitek X56 HOTAS and a Logitech G602 mouse. The mouse works fine everywhere, and there is no "calibration" / "surface tuning" option in LGS v9+. The stick is also accurate, no drift in any other game, in the Control Panel nor in the Saitek software.

@OP, you added "workarounds" to the title, did anything actually work?

To me this happens every time the game switches from Stick to mouse input or the other way around. You fly with the stick with no problem, no drift anywhere, then hit that key to open the context menu (default "F"), and the popup menu appears. You can wait a whole minute and nothing will move. As soon as you move the mouse a little, the ship starts to drift quickly and the menu auto-closes. Which makes it quite hard to do the selection. Only if I move the mouse extremely slowly to the menu item I want that it won't start the drift. Happens on the ship or on stations. It took me quite a few tries to progress in the tutorial mission where you need to use the context menu to deactivate the satellite. I need to twist the stick and/or throttle for the drift to end.

On the map it's the same. I open the map and everything is stable. As soon as I start moving the mouse around the map starts drifting. I twist the sticks and everything stops. Move the mouse and the sticks start drifting.
Sleecc wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 15:01
id some more testing .... Joystick is causing this. I guess I need to redefine the dead zones .....
I do not believe this is the case. Does the stick give you drift when you are not using the mouse? Does the mouse cursor drift when in the X4 menus with no game loaded? When you are on the Windows desktop, does the mouse cursor drift by itself? If in all cases it's a no, as on my system, then it's the game that messes up mouse and stick input. Or probably trying to emulate, badly, a mouse with one of the stick hats even when deactivate it. The map is drifting even with "Controls/Joystick Deadzone" set to 90%. Come on. Does the forced stick mouse emulation bypass the stick deadzone that we define in the Settings menu?

Actually, and this is probably linked, but we cannot deactivate things that should be by default.
For instance, I want to walk around stations with wasd exclusively. But I cannot remove the stick axis in the "Settings/Controls/Platform movement/First Person: Analog" menu, I can only chose something else. I can try to game the system and give all options the same axis, but there is no way that I could find to remove the axis from the very last option. So even if you'd never in your life even think of controlling your dude in FP with a stick, well, it will still bug you with potential spikes and lag from the stick.
Or in "Settings/Controls/Menu navigation", I cannot deactivate the stick in the "Menus: Analog" or the "Misc" sections. So if you have one of those axis giving you a bit of drift, and the game doesn't seem to be very good at managing those, your map or contextual menu will drift, because of a control option you do not use and don't probably even know about is forced on you.

On the other hand, no matter what stick or throttle hat I program the camera to look around, since this almost 2019 sim does not know about TrackIR, none work. Even the one that is labelled "POV Hat" in the controller :).

We should have toggles:
* "Platform Movement": Only use mouse and keyboard, the game does not use any stick input.
* "Menu Navigation": ditto. No input from any axis, only keyboard and mouse until map or popup menu is closed. + No mouse input until a contextual menu, a map or other interface element is open.

The game is literally unplayable without a POV Camera, a drifting map and popup menus that keep disappearing because of the drift in map mode. Unfortunately I've already spent more than 2 hours trying to make this thing work.

jasperUK
x4

Post by jasperUK » Sun, 2. Dec 18, 19:27

I've had the same issue and it has been driving me nuts :evil: , i downloaded both x52 pro and logitech mx518 drivers, no joy.... i started switching off/on settings over the weekend and eventually found switching the joypad off worked a treat, i no longer suffer drift in the map :D

Hope this works for you guys...

Jasper

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 01:12

jasperUK wrote:
Sun, 2. Dec 18, 19:27
I've had the same issue and it has been driving me nuts :evil: , i downloaded both x52 pro and logitech mx518 drivers, no joy.... i started switching off/on settings over the weekend and eventually found switching the joypad off worked a treat, i no longer suffer drift in the map :D

Hope this works for you guys...

Jasper
This isn't acceptable for me. I need my joystick. I'm not a good mouse driver. I have the same problem with map scrolling.
[Edit: Just noticed patch 1.10 and the - "joystick" input preset removal. Will give the game another go shortly.
Last edited by surferx on Mon, 3. Dec 18, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

Sleecc
x4

Post by Sleecc » Mon, 3. Dec 18, 01:18

@Neofit - you were correct with all you said. It happens with the switch from Stick to mouse input or the other way around!

At least I see I'm not alone with this problem ... and I still could not solve it. So far the only issue in the game really really working on my nerves ... all else is fine!

PS: Good work Egosoft! (so far)

iMafLeX
x3ap

Post by iMafLeX » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 08:41

I got the same issue. I fixed it simply by pluging my x52 pro into an USB 3.0 port instead of 2.0.

Maybe it works now because of the USB 3.0 port and maybe it's just because of an other port.
"Es gibt zwei Dinge, die unendlich sind. Das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit. Beim Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher."

-Albert Einstein

Neofit
x4

Post by Neofit » Tue, 4. Dec 18, 09:38

Another thing to explore, I didn't have time last night, and frankly, with all that I've seen and read about, I have half a mind to give Rebirth a second chance, past the 2 hours I gave it so far :), and come back in 6 months. Anyways. Check the latest Logitech/Saitek drivers.

X4 forces one of the mini-sticks to emulate a mouse whether we like it or not. SO we have the regular mouse, working right as it should, and another pseudo mouse, on a set of axis for which we do not have dead zone settings in the Logitech/Saitek drivers.

The latest drivers add deadzone settings for all mini-sticks and rotaries (at least all that I have on my X56), but caveat: they are not in the stock programming software (that would be too easy), they in the Control Panel stick settings. This may alleviate the drifting problem? Of course, to completely remove it, ES should let us completely disable mouse emulation on the stick.

Yoshuzimo

Post by Yoshuzimo » Mon, 19. Jul 21, 01:41

Not sure if anyone is still having this issue or not, I found a solution for me so thought I'd post it.

Make sure your rings over the "i" and the "E" buttons on the throttle are centered. Apparently these are linked with the mouse control. Not sure why, it's very annoying.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”