Complete lack of AA in my game

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Benzin
x4

Complete lack of AA in my game

Post by Benzin » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:23

Hello,
The game runs smoothly at 60 fps even on High settings, even inside stations it only drops by about 5fps. However, there is an obvious complete lack of antialias in the game. Everything looks extremely jagged and "jumpy". Im not being picky or exagerating here, it like running a game at 1366x768 and upscaling it to 1080p (wich im not doing obviously, game is set to run at 1920x1080).

The only options for AA i see in the settings are FXAA (others disabled, i assume due to the video memory on my card), and changing between FXAA low/high or even enabling / disabling AA completely shows no visible changes at all in the game. Everything looks exactly the same, framerate is the same.
Its as if the AA is completely disabled and ignoring the settings.

My setup is
- Intel i5
- GTX 1060 3Gb, latest drivers (417.01).
- 1920x1080 60hz monitor running at native resolution.
- Windows 10 enterprise 64bits.
- Latest steam version of the game.

Allready tried:
- Validating game files thru steam
- deleting the config.xml file so game recreates it
- changing to windowed / borderless windowed / fullscreen modes
- Enabling FXAA for the game thru the nvidia control panel
- Changing the quality presets of the game, from low to ultra.

Nothing has helped. Any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Tycow
x4

Re: Complete lack of AA in my game

Post by Tycow » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:30

Benzin wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:23
Hello,
The game runs smoothly at 60 fps even on High settings, even inside stations it only drops by about 5fps. However, there is an obvious complete lack of antialias in the game. Everything looks extremely jagged and "jumpy". Im not being picky or exagerating here, it like running a game at 1366x768 and upscaling it to 1080p (wich im not doing obviously, game is set to run at 1920x1080).

The only options for AA i see in the settings are FXAA (others disabled, i assume due to the video memory on my card), and changing between FXAA low/high or even enabling / disabling AA completely shows no visible changes at all in the game. Everything looks exactly the same, framerate is the same.
Its as if the AA is completely disabled and ignoring the settings.

My setup is
- Intel i5
- GTX 1060 3Gb, latest drivers (417.01).
- 1920x1080 60hz monitor running at native resolution.
- Windows 10 enterprise 64bits.
- Latest steam version of the game.

Allready tried:
- Validating game files thru steam
- deleting the config.xml file so game recreates it
- changing to windowed / borderless windowed / fullscreen modes
- Enabling FXAA for the game thru the nvidia control panel
- Changing the quality presets of the game, from low to ultra.

Nothing has helped. Any idea of what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Benzin, the AA modes available in X4 is dictated by how much VRAM your GPU has; any GPU with 3GB or less only has FXAA available for use. I'm in the same boat, however you could try and force a different mode through the nvidia control panel... see if that works?

Benzin
x4

Post by Benzin » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:53

Tycow wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:30
Hi Benzin, the AA modes available in X4 is dictated by how much VRAM your GPU has; any GPU with 3GB or less only has FXAA available for use. I'm in the same boat, however you could try and force a different mode through the nvidia control panel... see if that works?
Hi Tycow, thanks for your reply.
Yes i tried forcing it thru the nvidia control panel. But there is no visual change at all on how the game looks. Someone told me that the nvidia control panel settings dont work with the vulcan engine.

The strangest thing is, all the AA settings in the game seem to do nothing. I can switch from AA disabled, to FXAA high, and there is absolutely no change on how the game looks, the framerate, nothing.

Benzin
x4

Post by Benzin » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 05:13

Been playing for a little while, careful to not exceed 2hrs, and now something even stranger is happening...
At times, AA seems to just "kick in", because everything starts looking a LOT better, the jagged edges dissapear, its obvious that AA is in. But at the same time, my fps drop by more than half, from a steady 60fps, to 20 - 30fps.
Im not touching the AA settings, it just suddenly kicks in by itself in the middle of the game, not eve after a restart.

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”