Modded game crashing

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

redstamp

Modded game crashing

Post by redstamp » Sun, 26. May 24, 12:29

I have been running a few mods now - mostly Quality of Life stuff like Sector Satellites, Mobile Repair Service, Sector Patrol, Loot Collector etc

Recently tried Mules Supply & Warehouses Extended, but didn't work very well at all - in fact only the Supply Mule function seemed to work at all, so reverted to an older but hopefully simpler trading mod called Mules Extension.

About same time using both, game started freezing. Occurrence now increased and happens about every hour min in-game.

I was hoping that disabling all mods and restarting, the loading my current save, clean up all of the behaviours to std ones, then slowly re-introduce mods again with a day or so apart to check which causes freezez, but wondered if anyone had other advice...?

Equally if tech help not allowed when mods installed, then "no" is OK too ;-)

Thanks,
Jon

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Modded game crashing

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. May 24, 14:22

Removing mods doesn't always help unless you start a game. The effects of mods can often be "baked into" savegames, so removing mods and trying to continue playing an existing game is not necessarily going to work.

redstamp

Post by redstamp » Sun, 26. May 24, 16:13

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 26. May 24, 14:22
Removing mods doesn't always help unless you start a game. The effects of mods can often be "baked into" savegames, so removing mods and trying to continue playing an existing game is not necessarily going to work.
Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go anyway, as spent too long in this save with mods on.

BTW - is the game supposed to still say "Modified" once I have disabled all (presumably just to denote it was modified at some point), or is there a gremlin in this machine? ;-)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. May 24, 16:19

If you use a save that was modified before then that save will remain modified. However the game itself shouldn't show as modified, and saves from new games that you start while the game is unmodified won't show as modified.

If then game itself is still showing as modified then you've not yet cleaned up all the mods correctly. There may be leftover files in your extensions folder, or possibly you may have modified or corrupted core game files. Performing a full file verification using the Steam client should resolve the latter.

redstamp

Post by redstamp » Sun, 26. May 24, 23:45

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 26. May 24, 16:19
If you use a save that was modified before then that save will remain modified. However the game itself shouldn't show as modified, and saves from new games that you start while the game is unmodified won't show as modified.

If then game itself is still showing as modified then you've not yet cleaned up all the mods correctly. There may be leftover files in your extensions folder, or possibly you may have modified or corrupted core game files. Performing a full file verification using the Steam client should resolve the latter.
Perfect - thanks - persevering with this game as spent weeks on it now - mostly without mods - first time playing - great game!

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”