This affects boarding ops as well as attempts claim abandoned ships.
When a marine that is "still in transit" is selected as a boarding pod pilot the debug log records an error similar to the following.
Code: Select all
[=ERROR=] 2596.24 Entity Liom Naser  is not the 'Captain' control entity for ship Boarding Pod . Can't initialise.
To reliably reproduce this problem load the attached quicksave and follow the steps below.
- Pause as soon as the save has loaded, all subsequent steps will be performed while the game is paused.
- Find the player owned Nodan Vanguard in The Void, it is waiting next to an abandoned Drill.
- Transfer a marine from Elite Vanguard to Nodan Vanguard.
- While still paused and with the marine still in transit, Claim the Drill in The Void.
- Check the debug log, it should record the error indicated as soon as the Claim command was given and the Boarding Pod launched.
- Unpause the game and observe the Boarding Pod travel to the Drill but the boarding operation never completes.
Following the steps above should reliably reproduce a bugged boarding pod. The same marine will successfully land if the player waits until the marine arrives on board the Nodan before issuing the Claim command.
In transit marines logically should not be available for boarding operations until they arrive. If a ship only has marines in transit and none actually on board then the Claim and Board commands should not be available. However, the game allows this and will launch boarding pods with invalid crew. This appears to be the root cause behind complaints about bugged boarding pods failing to land and getting stuck adrift in space.