[4.0 + all DLC, English, never modified] Crash on saving - Resolved by disabling XBox DVR.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SwizzleStick86
x4

[4.0 + all DLC, English, never modified] Crash on saving - Resolved by disabling XBox DVR.

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 22:05

Hello, ever since the Windows 10 20H2 update I've been having a lot of game crashes. Most of my games would crash the system, giving a black screen completely unresponsive. I fixed that by changing the firewall settings when I figured out that after the update, windows firewall started blocking every game from accessing their own data files. And rather than showing an error or security message, it just crashed the system. (go figure microsoft... ).

It was running great for a few days, But now everything runs until it saves. Every time I try saving X4, it freezes for about a minute or 2 (before save times only took about 20 seconds for me if that) then the system goes to a black screen and all the fans etc. make noise like they do on an initial startup, however the system just sits in that state until I do a hard boot.

I have gone through the security settings and found no error messages.

I will include the DXdiag when I can (I am unable as I am at work currently and did not have time while I was at home this morning).

The game has never been modified, I already verified the game files through steam. My hunch is this most likely has nothing to do with X4 and is a system issue, but I'm at a loss on how to fix it. Thank you for any help/input..

General System Specs:
Nvidia RTX 2070 Super 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 3700x
64 GB 3200 DDR4 RAM
ADATA 1TB SSD on SATA (only contains Windows, drivers, utilities etc about 600 GB free)
ADATA 2 TB SSD NVME on M.2 (contains games including X4, About 1.2 TB free)

And yes I have already updated all of my drivers.
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

Incinerator
x4

Re: [4.0 + all DLC, English, never modified] Crash on saving.

Post by Incinerator » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 22:34

In windows defender go to the Trojan and ransomware protection settings then go to the allow controlled folder access settings and add the X4 executable. If you don't do this anything written to the documents folder is blocked, ie your saves and settings.

link to more detailed instructions: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 51e912b034

Its how to turn it off and on, but you'll just want to add it the list of safe applications as mentioned further down, and leave the protection on. You might need to add steam too, to the list.

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Fri, 30. Jul 21, 22:42

Oh ok thx, I'll check that out in the morning after work. I had fixed that in other sections but didnt look in the ones you listed thank you. Any idea why windows crashes instead of just saying "application blocked" like it used to?
-HAL 9000

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Sat, 31. Jul 21, 17:59

So I went through like you suggested, and it already allowed X4 and steam. But I also went and disabled the DVR settings in the Xbox app after reading somewhere that it can mess with games (I don't even use that app but apperantly windows wanted to install/enable it). Now the game runs fine.
Thank you for your help
-HAL 9000

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”