Lowering refresh rate on NVidia?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X4: Foundations.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Loid
x3

Lowering refresh rate on NVidia?

Post by Loid » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:13

My windows desktop is 1440p @ 144Hz, however my system spec is at the lower end for X4 (I3770k OC, GTX 970, 16GB ram) - it runs painfully even at low settings. I can't seem to find how to change the refresh rate via X4 options. Is there a way to get X4 to switch to at least 60Hz? At the very least I can get some framerate back and not be stuck at 15-20fps.

I've tried the Nvidia control panel but X4 does not register there for some reason. Thanks in advance!

Tycow
x4

Re: Lowering refresh rate on NVidia?

Post by Tycow » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:27

Loid wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:13
My windows desktop is 1440p @ 144Hz, however my system spec is at the lower end for X4 (I3770k OC, GTX 970, 16GB ram) - it runs painfully even at low settings. I can't seem to find how to change the refresh rate via X4 options. Is there a way to get X4 to switch to at least 60Hz? At the very least I can get some framerate back and not be stuck at 15-20fps.

I've tried the Nvidia control panel but X4 does not register there for some reason. Thanks in advance!
Hi Loid, have you tried forcing the nvidia control panel to find the x4.exe?

You can do it by following these steps:
1) Right click on empty desktop, and select "NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL".
2) Go to "MANAGE 3D SETTINGS", then select the "PROGRAM SETTINGS" tab.
3) Press "ADD", then locate X4.exe (it'll be in the list of recently used programs, or you can browse to its location - on my laptop, this is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\X4 Foundations). Press "ADD SELECTED PROGRAM".
4) Under "2. Select the preferred graphics processor for this program" drop down box, select "HIGH PERFORMANCE NVIDIA Processor".
5) Press "APPLY", then close the control panel.

I don't think there is an option to use the nvidia control panel to change the refresh rate for a specific program, however you can fiddle with other settings to improve your FPS.

Loid
x3

Post by Loid » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:43

Hi Tycow, thanks for your reply. I've followed your suggestion but it still didn't add X4 to the listing.

X-Rebirth is there (which I barely played beyond getting controllers to work), but no X4...

I may just need to wait a bit as I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one with this issue.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:52

Hi Loid, that is odd! Did you try the bit including browsing to the actual X4 directory and manually pointing the nvidia control panel at x4.exe? It should definitely show up if so (like in my attached screenshot)... :S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SirNukes
x4

Post by SirNukes » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:57

I like to use the "adaptive (half refresh rate)" vsync option to limit fps, though mainly for fan noise reasons.

Loid
x3

Post by Loid » Sat, 1. Dec 18, 04:15

Tycow wrote:
Sat, 1. Dec 18, 03:52
Hi Loid, that is odd! Did you try the bit including browsing to the actual X4 directory and manually pointing the nvidia control panel at x4.exe? It should definitely show up if so (like in my attached screenshot)... :S
I don't see the same options as you. Maybe this is due to my GTX970. This is what I see (Your screen shot on the left, mine on the right):

[ external image ]

Return to “X4: Foundations - Technical Support”