[Request] Jobs for Personnel

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mikhaleech
x4

[Request] Jobs for Personnel

Post by Mikhaleech » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 16:52

Systems on ship completely without personnel to work with 50% efficiency.
With rookies personnel efficiency raises to 75%, and gradually increase with their competence of 100% with their engineering and moral goes to 5*.

Engineering jobs (slots on ships) to split into categories according to ship's systems:
- maintenance (general repairs, as it is for now)
- engines
- shield
- weapons
Marines jobs additionally for:
- turrets, as marines to operate each turrets for targeting and firing

Each separated system requires relative amount of engineers (marines) on board to maintain their efficiency. For example, per engine on the ship: 1 for S, 2 for M, 5 for L, etc. Same for shields and so on.

Therefore, it shall be much more important to have professionals on board of vessels. And marines shall be more useful too, while they are using not only for boarding operations on strictly specific ships, but generally almost everywhere.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [Request] Jobs for Personnel

Post by CBJ » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 17:08

I understand the concept, but I think most people are looking for less crew management rather than more. :)

Mikhaleech
x4

Post by Mikhaleech » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 17:26

Sadly just general demand for casual gameplay by casual players.
But it really can be done to satisfy everybody:
Casual players just buy engineers (as it is now) and may not even think about their jobs, because they fill their roles automatically. And those who like micromanagement may play with different ships and crew as they want to, moving, upgrading etc.

There are so many feathures can be done to imrove gameplay via crew management. For example there can be specialization of crew (somebody love to work on fighters other with freighters). And race-specific bonus, like boron an boron vessels , terran - on terrans etc. Meh :( .

TroubledRabbit

Post by TroubledRabbit » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 18:40

the XR had something like that but in very rudimentary way implemented (which might be connected - just the idea - with the existing wystem). Namely: officers on ships and stations (navigator/commander, engineer, defence officer (ICI commander) and marine leader). Their stats had impact on performance of the ship (so I was told because I have never experienced that :D ).

These functions ('leaders' or officers') might be implemented over existing system and if the player does not want to bother, automated completely. Though I imagine that if you have got hundreds of ships that would be just another annoyance while maybe being fun and rewarding in very small scale gameplay (micro pirate fleet or smth where you address every ship personally).
Even Lower Spec (occasional) Gamer

Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon, kernel line: 5.15, X11
T14 AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650U/Renoir, 32GB

Mikhaleech
x4

Post by Mikhaleech » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 20:48

Yeah with officers could be awesome too.Even current management skill may be useful in that approach, because the officer is the manager firstly.

H34Dru5H
x4

Post by H34Dru5H » Sun, 14. Apr 24, 21:44

I like the idea of marines manning turrets, and you should carry spare marines in case any of them pull a sicky and limit your defence capabilities. And it's about time they received a fair wage, it's no wonder they do f/a and gain no experience. They should also get a decent meal, I have a ship with 200 crew and not one ships cook between them let alone the food supplies. I think it would be great if one of your elite battleships went into limp mode because half the crew have scurvy :D
B450 Tomahawk Max II, Ryzen 5600X, MSI RTX2070S, 16GB @ 3200, Sumsung EVO SSD.

Mikhaleech
x4

Post by Mikhaleech » Mon, 15. Apr 24, 00:12

Yeah, you know, you are right. We all need such a game to just for one hand, because another is to hold a bottle of beer.
Just imagine: black screen, red dot is your enemy, and white dot is your battleship, firing smaller dots towards the enemy. To operate use left and right buttons and space to fire. No crew - no problems.

Thomas2052
x4

Post by Thomas2052 » Wed, 24. Apr 24, 20:56

Mikhaleech wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 16:52
Systems on ship completely without personnel to work with 50% efficiency.
With rookies personnel efficiency raises to 75%, and gradually increase with their competence of 100% with their engineering and moral goes to 5*.
CBJ wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 17:08
I understand the concept, but I think most people are looking for less crew management rather than more. :)
As someone who hates the material grind of usual modding systems (X4 isn't the worst culprit in this regard, looking at you ED) I've always thought crew was underutilised for such things. Especially as I could never make sense of needing broken bits of other ships to improve upon your sleek, space age starship.

Create a couple of roles - Navigator, Gunnery Sergeant, Chief Engineer, etc - as options to assign to, and turn it into a percentage boost instead. 5* Navigator? 20% boost to travel drive speed and spool up. You get the idea.

Entirely optional, like current modding, and does not negatively impact those who don't want to use the feature.

Just stick them in the drop down menu with captain, marine and service crew. Bonus if somehow this means they are the characters that always populate the bridge. I want my multi-race starfleet bridge crew!

Wouldn't say no to a captains chair either...

Regards
Older. Not wiser.

xrogaan
x4

Post by xrogaan » Thu, 25. Apr 24, 00:31

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 14. Apr 24, 17:08
I don't believe that the case. I would say that most people want a reason to have them interact with a feature. Currently, there is no indication in game as to what the crew does on a ship. Nor why do their skills matters. Crew skill is rather obscure, almost esoteric. I'd love for a version of OP's proposal to be implemented.

I recently finished reading a book called Choice of One. There is a Golan station featured in it, but due to shortage of personal, was only operational at 25%. So 75% of the turrets were off simply because there wasn't enough people manning the station.

Return to “X4: Foundations”