Is the L turrets not opening fire against stations to be ever being fully fixed?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Pesanur
x4

Is the L turrets not opening fire against stations to be ever being fully fixed?

Post by Pesanur » Sun, 4. Jun 23, 17:29

This bug is since 1.0, and Egosoft not fully fixed it yet. Usually if you change between attack all enemies/attack capitals ships/attack my current enemy you can get some of the turrets to start firing at the station. Other times works fine.

Not happens as often as before with xenon stations, but this bug is annoying with Khaak stations, specially with the big ones.

Edit: I attached a savefile, were I'am a board of a Rattlesnake attacking a Khaak station in Faulty Logic I, and my L turrets not open fire against the station regardless of the orders that I give to them. Instead the M turrets open fire if I close enough to the station.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An3feJbv1gLayQTBE7m ... T?e=SJtvkY

Edit 2: Now, from some unknown reason, after lowering the station health to 35% with only the main guns, three of the turrets started to fire against the station.
Last edited by Pesanur on Sun, 4. Jun 23, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.

chew-ie
x4

Re: Is the L turrets not opening fire against stations to be ever being fully fixed?

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 4. Jun 23, 17:36

Kha'ak stations are a wildcard here. Just let 2 destroyers finish the station off OOS and don't bother with IS fights there.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Admiral Sausage

Re: Is the L turrets not opening fire against stations to be ever being fully fixed?

Post by Admiral Sausage » Mon, 5. Jun 23, 14:00

On the Xenon station modules, there are some bits of greeble on the outside that the turrets really like to target (not surface elements, just decorative lumps). I wonder if what's happening is that the turrets are picking a spot on the station surface to shoot at, and then not shooting because the rest of the station blocks line of site to it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 5. Jun 23, 19:06

I'm just not seeing this issue all that much. In my vanilla game, the TER L Pulse turrets (attack all enemies) on my Syn are engaging Xenon station modules just fine. In fact I use those to indicate the damaged/regenerating station modules of the station that I can usefully attack and then I attack whatever they have engaged using my frontal battery.

Kha'ak stations tend to have lots of module elements (already destroyed or just not the ones selected as the turret target) that get in the way of turret line of sight. The player or the AI moving the attacking capitals about a bit usually works in the end though. Yes, keeping distance is a bit of a problem in that case.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 6. Jun 23, 13:22

KHK and Xenon modules seem to have strange target points that turrets seem to struggle to track and fire at. The best example would be the KHK Hive stations. Flying a Raptor with full Plasma turret loadout into the middle of one, it would be expected that most turrets shoot all the time until the station is mostly destroyed. However, what normally happens in game is that some of the modules will be destroyed, usually the weaker variant as those seem easier for turrets to target, and then all turrets might stop firing despite the other modules being in range of at least some. As one flies around some might start firing, then stop firing, all kind of arbitrary.

It feels like the turrets are aiming at specific target points on the modules and if they do not have clear vision of that target point, such as other parts of the module obstructing it, then they do not fire. Either the modules need more target points scattered around for the turrets to scan for viable options, or additional logic is needed that even if a target point is obstructed, the turrets will still fire as long as the obstructing object surface counts the same as the target point's object.

The Xenon asteroid station and Xenon curved defence module (not Xenon Argon Defence modules) have a similar issue when attacking them from some angles.

Return to “X4: Foundations”