Is there a specific order for starting games?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mrakomor
x4

Is there a specific order for starting games?

Post by mrakomor » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 15:27

Hello folks, I was a bit away from this game (since X2 the threat). I bought the whole bundle of X4 games, but I a wondering if there is any suggested order of game starts one should pick so if I do multiple of them, I do not make their storyline in some bad order. Could you advise me what is the timeline of the starting scenarios?

Thank you.

KextV8
x4

Re: Is there a specific order for starting games?

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 15:43

There really isn't any particular order. You just pick where ever you feel like playing in first. I personally like the Terran starts as they get you into the quest chains faster than some of the other starts.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 02:53

Story-wise, no, there's no order. Several starts just drop you in with no direction. Some of them give you a little guidance to start out - but it's just a little.

I've got a guide on Steam explaining them:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2954241930
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

mrakomor
x4

Post by mrakomor » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 09:38

Thank you.

SphinxofBlackQuartz
x4

Post by SphinxofBlackQuartz » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 16:25

I would suggest the "Terran Cadet" starting scenario. It's advantageous in a lot of ways: It starts you with a good ship and a decent amount of money, and Terran space is both relatively safe and highly profitable.

If Terran Cadet doesn't appeal, then I strongly recommend one of the starts listed as "Guided". Guided starts give you a bit more of a tutorial before turning you loose on the universe; "Assisted" starts give you some gameplay basics, but not much more; and "Sandbox" starts just toss you into the deep end of the pool, so probably not what a new-ish player is looking for. :)

Good luck, and have fun!
THE HAPPINESS OF SEEING AGAIN THE SLIGHTLY DISGUSTING ALIEN FRIENDS. EXTREME DELIGHTFUL.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 18:26

I think Terran Cadet is intended for new players. But it's a little bit too comfortable to start in Terran space for my taste. If you like not worrying about Xenon or pirates it's fine. But I would look for the other starts to get a more complete experience. Anything but the Split starts are decent for new players. Split starts are generally quite difficult since there is safety nowhere, pirates, xenos and other hostile factions are everywhere so I wouldn't recommend those for a new start.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 19:05

If you really want to experience all the plots, including the one for the player HQ, then you need to disable the Kingdom End DLC until the PHQ plot is completed.
Spoiler
Show
KE DLC starts by giving you the PHQ if you don't already have it.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 3. Jun 23, 00:41

Nanook wrote:
Fri, 2. Jun 23, 19:05
If you really want to experience all the plots, including the one for the player HQ, then you need to disable the Kingdom End DLC until the PHQ plot is completed.
Then do the Genesis start after that. It's another take on the same story.

Speaking of Genesis, I still don't get why people keep recommending Terran Cadet. You're still friendly with the Terrans doing Genesis, and fewer factions spit on your ship when you aren't watching.
timid." ---- Q

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Sat, 3. Jun 23, 01:18

Maybe it's because you basically skip the tutorials and the grand tour of the solar system.
Gendered start could be a factor.

now where are those antimatter cells :?

SphinxofBlackQuartz
x4

Post by SphinxofBlackQuartz » Sat, 3. Jun 23, 02:01

Zloth2 wrote:
Sat, 3. Jun 23, 00:41
Speaking of Genesis, I still don't get why people keep recommending Terran Cadet. You're still friendly with the Terrans doing Genesis, and fewer factions spit on your ship when you aren't watching.
Worse starting gear, and it leaves you to sink or swim a lot faster.
Spoiler
Show
With Kingdom End, at least, it very soon warps you out of PIO space and dumps you in Grand Exchange. Finding your way back could be an intimidating task, if you aren't already familiar with the map.
And you don't start with the special TER spit-resistant hull paint.
THE HAPPINESS OF SEEING AGAIN THE SLIGHTLY DISGUSTING ALIEN FRIENDS. EXTREME DELIGHTFUL.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Sat, 3. Jun 23, 09:19

With a Project Genesis start the player has friendly relations to most base game factions and there are plenty of missions around the highway loop.

With a Terran Cadet start the player has negative rep with many factions. So they suddenly find themselves in an area without docking rights, they can't trade, they can't do missions. It's not a problem for an experienced player, but for a new player it might be difficult.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sat, 3. Jun 23, 20:25

Starting gear? Your starting gear is terrible in both of them.
Ormac wrote:
Sat, 3. Jun 23, 01:18
Maybe it's because you basically skip the tutorials and the grand tour of the solar system.
Huh? You fly to a wreck, fight some Xenon, and that's really it. The rest show up for everyone else, too - though they do have to find the Terrans.
Yeah, I could see that - though I sure would rather have everyone call me "ma'am" than deal with the extra negative reps.
Last edited by Zloth2 on Sat, 3. Jun 23, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
timid." ---- Q

Surimi
x4

Post by Surimi » Sat, 3. Jun 23, 20:26

Ormac wrote:
Sat, 3. Jun 23, 01:18
Also, as far as I know the project genesis start is the only way to play a character with the blue pioneers uniform. Custom Terran characters only seem to come with protectorate uniforms.

But yeah, I think both the terran starts could be good for new players from a story perspective post Kingdom End as you get introduced to the PHQ a bit more organically rather than just having it pop into existence with Boso already aboard.

Return to “X4: Foundations”