Why do fleet commanders not notify you the player if valuable subordinates are taking fire?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mr_Blastman
x4

Why do fleet commanders not notify you the player if valuable subordinates are taking fire?

Post by Mr_Blastman » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:33

If a valuable asset is under attack, there should be a verbal notification that this is happening. There are too many moving parts in this game to keep track of literally everything. We need verbal notifications.

What I propose is an option to turn this on. If we check the box for a fleet commander, then they will notify us if their fleet is in danger. This way we don't click quicksave right before something worth 200 million is about to die because nothing ever notified us there was a problem and the menu had a fleet group minimized at the time. Late game this isn't so much an issue, as the player can absorb the loss, but mid game when you have a particularly hellish Xenon seed, every unit matters, especially one that is a fifth of your net worth.

I should not have to go through a series of a thousand checks every time I quicksave to make sure I'm not screwing myself.

Please add this feature and fix this. Please Egosoft.

Thank you.

p.s. The way things work, presently, is only if the fleet commander himself is in danger do you receive verbal notification. Station Managers never notify you if their subordinates are under heavy attack. It would be nice to have a verbal notification option for this, as well as when Stations themselves are under attack.

photomankc

Re: Why do fleet commanders not notify you the player if valuable subordinates are taking fire?

Post by photomankc » Wed, 31. May 23, 21:54

I'd even go further. I want to know:

- Anytime a new enemy capitol ship is in radar range. Get tired of finding out there are 2 K's attacking someplace and my idiot pilots just mosey on into the death machine. Also want to know if my patrol fleet is running into a serious threat.

- Anytime there is a significant number of enemy appearing in radar range. I can accept the sats not saying anything but my fleets not mentioning that they just saw 25 Xenon fighters and corvets show on radar is annoying. Usually I only learn when a red text shows up telling me my stuff is dead.

I'd like non-combat ships to include the option to can orders that would take them in proximity to more than X red ships. Really frustrating watching trade ships just plow into a cloud of fighters.

KextV8
x4

Re: Why do fleet commanders not notify you the player if valuable subordinates are taking fire?

Post by KextV8 » Wed, 31. May 23, 22:13

What is a valuable asset? To someone it might be an M, to others and L, to others an XL. To some people there may not be any asset they care about

mrakomor
x4

Post by mrakomor » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 15:46

Maybe a valuable asset can be something you mark to be a valuable asset (on by default so people notice there is this feature).

Mr_Blastman
x4

Post by Mr_Blastman » Fri, 2. Jun 23, 01:52

I like the idea of being able to specify which assets are considered valuable.

And when reported, if these assets are part of a fleet, I would like the fleet commander to be the one making the report to me--however, it might be neat if the subordinate could do so as well.

This would go a long way towards potentially reducing asset shrinkage, because, well, Xenon/Kha'ak killing my assets is theft. ;)

Another potential option is to have sectors that are seeing violent action against important assets to flash or glow red, along with a quick alert and maybe a Star Trek'ish animated graphic pointing to the sector (crosshairs coming together or something). I realize that is a bit RTSish, but I never see even stuff like Sins of the Solar Empire do this, and it kind of makes sense to me. Yes, X isn't a RTS, but eventually some of us choose to go the conquest route, or perhaps we're trying to save a dying galaxy from Xenon who are destroying everything.

The difficult balancing part is what to do when we are on the station building screen...

Eagle_Four
x3

Post by Eagle_Four » Mon, 12. Jun 23, 11:52

Those who use mods might want to take a look at this one.

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/497

"Report Enemies
Ships on Explore, Patrol, Police, and Protect orders can report on detected enemies.
This is similar to the Alerts set in the Global Orders menu. But no Alerts need to be set for Report Enemies to work.
Enable this behaviour in the ship's Behaviour menu when first giving the order.
By default, ships will send a radio broadcast when large enemies (L and XL) are detected.
Small to frigate class ships reports are sent as a Notification.
And all reports are logged."

It's not as extensive as requested here, but it goes a bit in that direction.

Return to “X4: Foundations”