Ship behaviour after taking direct control

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vheissu
x4

Ship behaviour after taking direct control

Post by Vheissu » Tue, 30. May 23, 10:23

Seems like the default behaviour for a ship after assuming command and then leaving it is to continue its last order. Is there a way to toggle this off?

It's quite useful for a docked fighter wing to do this if I want to take a short flight somewhere in a small craft.

It's really, really bad if the fighter's carrier turns around and travels back to its last waypoint when I take off in one of the fighters.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Ship behaviour after taking direct control

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. May 23, 13:22

Your issue may also include that the new ship stays on autopilot on your arrival and changeover. Shift + A toggles autopilot - unless you have remapped that function of course.

Regarding your other ships, you need to think about cancelling all orders (select and right-click on the ship on the map for a menu), or maybe changing current and default behaviour (the ship's behaviours tab), when your AI ships aren't doing what you expected when you leave them for another.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ajime
x4

Post by ajime » Tue, 30. May 23, 17:57

It seems recently taking direct control of ships with certain orders still have the autopilot activated. disabling it didn't work either. so i release control and manually remove the ships orders then took command.
i had this issue with my salvaged Oddy at the time. not sure if it's a global thing though since i rarely use autopilot.

Vheissu
x4

Post by Vheissu » Tue, 30. May 23, 20:09

Thank you for the answers!

Ship behaviour is already defaulted to hold position and yeah, I keep autopilot off.
Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 13:22
Your issue may also include that the new ship stays on autopilot on your arrival and changeover. Shift + A toggles autopilot - unless you have remapped that function of course.

Regarding your other ships, you need to think about cancelling all orders (select and right-click on the ship on the map for a menu), or maybe changing current and default behaviour (the ship's behaviours tab), when your AI ships aren't doing what you expected when you leave them for another.
Maybe I'm blind but I can't find the keybinding for the ship behaviour tab, any idea what it is?

It was Shift+C to access the current ship in X3 but of course that's for launching flares now.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 30. May 23, 21:21

Select the ship in property and right-click and select information - or alternatively if your personal ship press M and select the Ship tab at the top and then select information - then click the last tab but one at the top of that info screen for ship behaviour.

That behaviour screen shows the current order queue in which you can selectively cancel orders if not a critical action, and the ship's default behaviour which you can change if you wish if the pilot has the requisite skills for whatever you want next.

The last tab at the top the info screen, individual ship instructions, allows you set a specific ship to behave differently to global/default instructions in certain situations.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vheissu
x4

Post by Vheissu » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:34

Thank you for the detailed reply!

Gosh, that sure is a lot. I wonder if I could do something with autohotkey. But canceling all orders before switching ships is gonna work and editing the behaviours tab if there's something specific that isn't working.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 31. May 23, 20:59

It seems that two slightly different topics were mentioned here.

1. Ship is doing some order. You start to "Use" the pilot seat. What happens then and there. (Something about "autopilot".)

2. You have been using the (above) ship a while and jump out of the pilot seat. The co-pilot returns to her post. At certain conditions the co-pilot continues the order that they were doing before you took over.

There are two options: "Cancel all orders" and "Cancel all orders and assignments". A ship can be assigned to act as subordinate of other ship or station. Their behaviour is to be subordinate. (I can't recall whether there is "cancel assigment" for a ship that is not a subordinate, and if there is then what happens.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 31. May 23, 21:07

A check box in the ship behavior menu labeled something like "Clear all orders when commandeered" would be nice to have.

And a dedicated hotkey for "Remove all orders on selected ship(s)" while in the map menu would be great.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

RainerPrem
x4

Post by RainerPrem » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 11:38

A5PECT wrote:
Wed, 31. May 23, 21:07
A check box in the ship behavior menu labeled something like "Clear all orders when commandeered" would be nice to have.

And a dedicated hotkey for "Remove all orders on selected ship(s)" while in the map menu would be great.
+1

msgerbs
x4

Post by msgerbs » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 17:37

A5PECT wrote:

This would be extremely helpful. I can't begin to count how many times my personal ship has flown like 6 sectors the wrong way before I realized it wasn't going to the most recent thing I told it to, but was in fact going to the station I told it to go to 3 hours ago.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 21:08

A5PECT wrote:
Open map. Select ships. Right-click on one. Is there "Remove all orders" that goes to all selected ships?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”