Station building missions - question about the reward

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fisiu
x4

Station building missions - question about the reward

Post by fisiu » Sun, 28. May 23, 19:32

Hello!

Does anyone know how the reward is calculated? Want to maximize the profitsssssss....

Lets say the mission description says reward: station value + 50% (max 10 m).

What does the max 10 m refer to? Which option is correct?

1. max ware price (100%) x 1,5 (50% reward) = 10 m,
meaning station 6,67 m, reward 3,33 m.

2. average ware price (50%) x 1,5 (50% reward) = 10 m,
meaning station 6,67 m, reward 3,33 m.

3. max ware price = 10 m,
then you get 50% = 5 m reward

4. average ware price = 10 m,
then you get 50% = 5 m reward

5. max ware price = 20 m,
then you get 50% = 10 m reward

6. average ware price = 20 m,
then you get 50% = 10 m reward

7. none of the above, but pls provide the correct calculation.

Cheers if anyone has the correct answer.

Sincerely,
Fisiu

BitByte
x4

Re: Station building missions - question about the reward

Post by BitByte » Sun, 28. May 23, 23:52

Basicly none of them because you forget that you need buy plot too which increases the cost margin (and gives you 50% extra).
Also I would assume when you hire construction ship that cost should be also covered by mission revard.

fisiu
x4

Post by fisiu » Mon, 29. May 23, 07:54

BitByte wrote:
Sun, 28. May 23, 23:52
Basicly none of them because you forget that you need buy plot too which increases the cost margin (and gives you 50% extra).
Also I would assume when you hire construction ship that cost should be also covered by mission revard.
Does it matter in the calculqtion? Such small plots that they want are usualy cheap. Hiring fee is 50k, its negelible.

So (plot cost + max ware price) x 1,5 = 10 m,
Station + plot 6,67m , reward 3,33 m ?

Gimbutz
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gimbutz » Mon, 29. May 23, 17:23

The game calculates the value of the station when the construction is finished, from the average price of the wares you actually used to build it. Trade offers for wares change depending on the supply, but each ware has a hard coded average. This means that if you get the wares for cheaper than average somewhere, you can increase your profit. Add up the average price for all wares that you actually used to build the station, and you get the station value. The game also adds the actual price you paid for the station plot, and the fee for one builder to this number.

Secondly, there's the "+50%" part. Once the station value is calculated, increase it by 50%, and you reach the actual reward you're going to receive in the end.

Thirdly, the "max" part. To incentivise the player to build stations of a reasonable size, we cap the reward as follows: the mission checks the requirements, and looks through the list of available modules in the game to calculate the absolute worst, most inefficient way the player could come up with to fulfil them. If the requirement is "10.000 container storage", for example, which would only require a small storage module, the mission will assume that the player will build the biggest container storage module in the game. The mission does this for all requirements, always picking the biggest, most excessive modules, and comes up with an imaginary station. It then takes the value of this imaginary station (average price of the wares needed to build it, see further above), and doubles it. And that's the "max" reward, in your example 10m Credits. If you end up going over this cap, for example because you want to give the faction an extra Wharf, you only get the cap as a reward.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 29. May 23, 17:34

Gimbutz wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 17:23
Thirdly, the "max" part. To incentivise the player to build stations of a reasonable size, we cap the reward as follows: the mission checks the requirements, and looks through the list of available modules in the game to calculate the absolute worst, most inefficient way the player could come up with to fulfil them. If the requirement is "10.000 container storage", for example, which would only require a small storage module, the mission will assume that the player will build the biggest container storage module in the game. The mission does this for all requirements, always picking the biggest, most excessive modules, and comes up with an imaginary station. It then takes the value of this imaginary station (average price of the wares needed to build it, see further above), and doubles it. And that's the "max" reward, in your example 10m Credits. If you end up going over this cap, for example because you want to give the faction an extra Wharf, you only get the cap as a reward.
So there is some logic to it. I don't know why I assumed you typed those in manually.
For my curiosity, how does it work for say production modules? Or dock modules? Storage makes sense, but I don't see how these others work.

Gimbutz
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gimbutz » Mon, 29. May 23, 18:36

Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 17:34
So there is some logic to it. I don't know why I assumed you typed those in manually.
For my curiosity, how does it work for say production modules? Or dock modules? Storage makes sense, but I don't see how these others work.
If there's only one module in the game that can fulfil a given requirement, like for example Teladianium production, then the mission will always assume that the player is going to build that exact module. There are multiple ways the player can fulfil the "Dock Area" or "Pier" requirement, however. For "Dock Area", the player could simply build a basic 1M6S dock module, but they could just as well build a Terran Luxury Dock module, so the mission errs on the side of caution.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 29. May 23, 18:44

Gimbutz wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 18:36
Raptor34 wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 17:34
If there's only one module in the game that can fulfil a given requirement, like for example Teladianium production, then the mission will always assume that the player is going to build that exact module. There are multiple ways the player can fulfil the "Dock Area" or "Pier" requirement, however. For "Dock Area", the player could simply build a basic 1M6S dock module, but they could just as well build a Terran Luxury Dock module, so the mission errs on the side of caution.
And rather than a 1-pier they could go for something expensive too.
I see, thanks.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Mon, 29. May 23, 20:07

I'm guessing a lot of people hit the max on these missions because of turret and shield requirements. These missions will sometimes ask for 4 defense platforms, for instance, with just 8 L turrets and 10 M turrets. If you use Argon disk modules and fill out all sixteen L and eight M turrets, you're going far beyond what was requested.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

fisiu
x4

Post by fisiu » Tue, 30. May 23, 19:26

Gimbutz wrote:
The game calculates the value of the station when the construction is finished, from the average price of the wares you actually used to build it. Trade offers for wares change depending on the supply, but each ware has a hard coded average. This means that if you get the wares for cheaper than average somewhere, you can increase your profit. Add up the average price for all wares that you actually used to build the station, and you get the station value. The game also adds the actual price you paid for the station plot, and the fee for one builder to this number.

Secondly, there's the "+50%" part. Once the station value is calculated, increase it by 50%, and you reach the actual reward you're going to receive in the end.

Thx for the answer

So if i understand it correctly it always calculates it from the hard coded average price (middle of min max range) and not the actual average price I bought the wares for (would be 0 if you produce the wares yourself). If I buy below hard coded average I earn more, if I buy for above I earn less (the station is worth as much in average price but I can spend more or less builing it).

So this should be correct with your information:
plot cost + hiring fee cost + station cost (at hardcoded average for wares) x 1,5 = Max reward
which can be seen as,
Max reward* (2/3) - 50,000 = plot + station

To gain the maximum profits the station (at average price) and plot should not exceed 2/3 of the max mission reward, the hiring fee of 50k is negelible.

Meaning to get the 10m max in my previous example and have maximum 50% profit (at average prices) on what I spend, the station cost should not be more or less than 6.67 - plot - 50k (hiring fee).
Lets hypotheticaly say that plot + hiring fee is 0.67 m so the station should cost 6 m calculated from average hard coded price (putting everything on 50% price in plan build menu under construction wares buying price, then I get the price calculated automatically for me).
Maybe I buy all wares below average price so that the station actually costs me 5 m to build but is worth 6 m in average price, I earn more from the mission cause I spent less on building the station cheap, the station value is calculated from the average hardcoded price, then I get 4.33 m in profit compared to 3.33 if I would have bought everything at average price. If I buy above average price I earn less. In the end I get max 10, the difference in profits lies in how much I spent on building the station related to cost of wares, if I bought for average I get 50% profits, if below average I get >50% profits and if above average I get <50% profits on what I invested.

Hitting the max is easy if you build excessivly, but theres a difference paying 5 and getting 10 back or paying 9 and getting 10 back. The question here is how to earn the max with paying as little as possible = maximum and efficient profitsssssss.... I´m Teladi

Am I correct o´mighty Gimbutz?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 30. May 23, 22:36

Gimbutz wrote:
The game calculates the value of the station when the construction is finished
Am I correct, that that means the station modules that are complete when the ownership of the ship is transferred to the NPC?

I've built bigger, much bigger. I just had the required bits complete at about the max reward (or earlier). Furthermore, I've made sure that the build storage is empty when the ownership is transferred. The NPC have been happy (in most cases) to complete the planned modules. You can guess twice, which company was able to immediately deliver them all the build materials that the NPC Manager did post top credit buy offers for. :teladi:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

BitByte
x4

Post by BitByte » Tue, 30. May 23, 23:25

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 30. May 23, 22:36
Gimbutz wrote:
The game calculates the value of the station when the construction is finished
Am I correct, that that means the station modules that are complete when the ownership of the ship is transferred to the NPC?

I've built bigger, much bigger. I just had the required bits complete at about the max reward (or earlier). Furthermore, I've made sure that the build storage is empty when the ownership is transferred. The NPC have been happy (in most cases) to complete the planned modules. You can guess twice, which company was able to immediately deliver them all the build materials that the NPC Manager did post top credit buy offers for. :teladi:
Based on my own experience when mission requirements get fullfilled (wanted station is "ready") you get max reward if construction plan still have further modules to build (even if you haven't provided construction materials for them yet).

Return to “X4: Foundations”