Final DLC?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

strager

Final DLC?

Post by strager » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 22:15

Is Kingdom End the last DLC? It says it's the "Completion of the main races" in the description, but no indication if that means its the last DLC or not. I'd really like to see NEW races get added to the game who haven't appeared in previous versions of the X universe - perhaps with unique/new technologies and ship types.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: Final DLC?

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 22:34

Well I dont have any insight into Egosofts plans, but I think it is the last DLC.

Egosoft do intend to do more polishing (and no doubt a few more bug fix betas) after the Boron DLC, and also re-introducing Ventures (and whatever advances they have made with that idea since .. friggin ages ago), but as far as any new DLCs go I think the game has nearly run its path of development.

I expect the next stage after they put the lid on what I just mentioned will be X5 development (if they have not already got a bunch of this small indie dev team working on it).

I think we did have a clue though in the disclosure about the German Government grant Egosoft received. The latest grant has been confirmed by Egosoft to be in support of the Kingdom End DLC which is done, and as far as I know they haven't received anymore .. So I'm guessing X5 is next on the table for Egosofts future economy/prosperity plans.

As for new races .. Maybe the Sohnen and Ancients will feature in X5. There is a Sohnen relic in X4 if you have all the DLCs currently :wink:
The lore of the X'verse might not totally exclude new races, new discoveries can be introduced, but I doubt it will be X4.
Last edited by alt3rn1ty on Wed, 29. Mar 23, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 22:38

In all recent interviews Bernd made it clear that "complete" only refers to all races finally being in the game. He specifically stated that Egosoft isn't done with X4 yet and more content will be developed for it.

Their stance on a potential X5 was always that it would make sense when X4 couldn't handle all the new ideas anymore. The recent switch of the engine suggest that they're far from being at that point, so don't expect anything to change for the forseeable future.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 22:50

xant wrote:
Wed, 29. Mar 23, 22:38
~ Their stance on a potential X5 was always that it would make sense when X4 couldn't handle all the new ideas anymore. The recent switch of the engine suggest that they're far from being at that point, so don't expect anything to change for the forseeable future.
Hmm, I think that the switch to the new engine was necessary just to include Kingdom end DLC, even for high end desktops more optimisation was needed to include a new DLC, we see reports all over the forums of good PC specs still having trouble in heavy areas with a battle going on.

Just to be clear I do not in anyway regard my machine as being good enough for the Kingdom end DLC, its a laptop, I think after installing it I am going to have to adjust my expectations on whats acceptable in terms of FPS :D
I'm purely going off what I see as the desired specs versus average fps in any given in game situation by everyone.
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

Treycore

Post by Treycore » Wed, 29. Mar 23, 23:20

They’ve already stated that this isn’t the end for X4

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 00:28

X4 has been quite successful for Egosoft as I understand it, so there is no indication they are done with the X series.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 00:40

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 00:28
X4 has been quite successful for Egosoft as I understand it, so there is no indication they are done with the X series.
I dont think the question is about the whole X Series, just X4 and have they done developing DLCs for it.
X5 and beyond is something else we all hope/expect will become realities.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 04:28

They'll be wanting to get ventures in again, so I do expect another large patch at the very least.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 07:09

Xant is right, you just need to look at recent interviews.

- KE completes the main races => no new alien races in the near future
- they are not done yet with X4, they still have ideas for more content
- ventures will be entering beta phase sometime after KE

darkstar12
x4

Post by darkstar12 » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 02:46

And as history shows. X4 Foundations is literally the foundations.

The next game might be another X4: "insert name" akin to X3 reunion/Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude(not including FL as it was free to those who owned certain games.)

Or we get an X5. But of note in regards to X4, there is a lot of more lore to cover. And an entirely new x4 might resolve that with all factions as is now included from the getgo. Take paranid unification or three way conflict. Or how Segaris Pioneers actually have terraformed and have their own planets now instead of being spaceborn outcasts tolerated by Terra due to the benefits but also control via dependency.

Edit: forgot a hope for more Yaki
And so it Begins.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 10:16

I think that the next possible DLC will be the small one.

Tides of Avarice was small and focused on Pirates.
The last notable thing X4 lack comparing to X3 are corporations (e.g OTAS) and Stock Market, so I could see this as next DLC.

Belphegor2_3
x4

Post by Belphegor2_3 » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 10:32

They said X4 world will be complete, not that no further DLC will be done.
I understand it as "as for now, they don't think they will add sectors as all species are in the game".
My opinion is that they could, or even should, allow themselves to add further DLCs, even low price ones, continuing with high quality. I really prefer this economic model to some others (phone P2W games, MMORPG pay to play, etc).

What I don't want is a new feature, be it in DLC or in patch, which kill the game like the X3 flame throwers.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 11:22

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 2. Apr 23, 10:16
I think that the next possible DLC will be the small one.

Tides of Avarice was small and focused on Pirates.
The last notable thing X4 lack comparing to X3 are corporations (e.g OTAS) and Stock Market, so I could see this as next DLC.
The last thing X4 needs is the Stock Market. Money-wise it is already easymode, no need to add that "trick" of X3:AP to water down earning credits even further. Pure traders are already struggling with their right to exist as every other activity in the game yields more credits. Their last advantage is to do mass trading - if a passive Stock Market replaces that there is no need left to bother with building stations and traders beyond filling the own ship yards.

---

What really would be interesting is a "second" economy - trading with planets (in an abstract way, not suggesting landing or stuff like that) and / or more general civilian goods. Could be parts of a corporations extension.

Beyond that of course Kha'ak and Xenon enhancements, deep space exploration campaigns, conquest campaigns [of unknown Kha'ak / Xenon sectors] etc.

Anything to enhance the singleplayer experience :P
Last edited by chew-ie on Sun, 2. Apr 23, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Belphegor2_3
x4

Post by Belphegor2_3 » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 12:24

I confirm that stock market in X3 was a terrible experience I really don't want to live again. Hopefully I could ignore the feature.

Flippi
x3tc

Post by Flippi » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 14:19

Egosoft still can do quite a lot of DLC. For the Paranids, Teladi, Argons. Even an XR focussed one is possible. So if Egosoft mentions they aren't done yet, I assume they will continue to push DLC until the game physically can't handle it any more without upgrades to the engine which would force players to restart. Only at that point, we'd probably hear about a new X4 Continuation, or an X5 of sorts.
What really would be interesting is a "second" economy - trading with planets (in an abstract way, not suggesting landing or stuff like that) and / or more general civilian goods.
Fully agreed. An actual, proper civilian economy is desperately needed. And Planets would be the best solution for it.
KI Schiffsnamen/AI Shipnames
ETNO Mod Techdemo/Ressources Release: English / Deutsch

Pesanur
x4

Post by Pesanur » Sun, 2. Apr 23, 22:45

I wish to be at least one more DLC, with the Aldrins and the friendly terrafomers.

Return to “X4: Foundations”