Question for Devs about Mods

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Megas Stevros

Question for Devs about Mods

Post by Megas Stevros » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 10:20

Hi guys, first off, I love this game and think what you've achieved is absolutely amazing.

I've read online that Egosoft is quite a small team and therefore it crossed my mind that there might not have been enough time or resources to perfect/implement everything that you'd wanted.

Assuming that the above is true, are you able to say whether there are any mods that you feel have added elements to the game perfectly? I really want to buy in to the Developers vision and play the game as they intended it to be played.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Question for Devs about Mods

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 11:05

I think that must have been the case to at least some extent as they have recruited some significant modders to the dev team during their work on X Rebirth and X4 (ie the games using the similar game engine). The precedent was already set in that modders had been heavily involved during the further development of X2/X3 games, especially for Bonus Packs, X3:AP and X3:FL.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 13:19

Here's another indication, a list of mod concepts which were integrated to X Rebirth during it's cycle:
https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... +X+Rebirth

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 15:11

Recently Bernd also hinted at Signed Bonus packs may become a thing for X4 in the future, traditionally these are modders work which the dev team think are good enough to be implemented (with a bit of their own expert tweaking), and become available on the Egosoft Homepage downloads https://www.egosoft.com/download/x3ap/bonus_en.php
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Treycore

Post by Treycore » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 04:00

They are considering signing off on popular specific mods to enable for their online ventures mode

The only reasons to not use mods imo are

1.) Performance (Some mods add new AI fleets/ships/stations which can overwhelm older systems that are already struggling with vanilla)

2.) Online Ventures (Can’t participate in the activity at all with mods as of right now)

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 20:06

It would be nice if they helped certain modders that add old NPC models back into the game, not to be screwed up. That would add a ton more npc choices.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 21:21

With the switch to Blender, I wouldn't be surprised if the NPC system gets opened up more. No way to be sure, of course.

Return to “X4: Foundations”