[Suggestion] Could we have a Light Fighter ship type?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jojorne
x4

[Suggestion] Could we have a Light Fighter ship type?

Post by jojorne » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 17:58

We have Heavy Fighter and just Fighter. Bear with me. Let's say we have Kalis, Kukri and Takoba. While Kalis is classified as Heavy Fighter, Takoba that is much-much faster than a Kukri, is classified as just a Fighter. Takoba as a Fighter is three times (3x) more powerful than a Rapier that is classified as a Scout but they both almost share the same speed and thus a Light Fighter would fit him well. Don't you guys agree? Because we have Heavy I do feel like we are missing the Light as well.

mr.WHO
x4

Re: [Suggestion] Could we have a Light Fighter ship type?

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 18:12

It's much more practical to classify fighters by weapon mounts as it provides much more consistent comparison and classification.

With it, there is but a one problematic case of Quasar, that doesn't make sence if you compare it to Eclipse (more shields), or Pulsar (more guns).

However, with one shield, Quasar fit nicely together with other 3-gun fighters (that have one shields as well) - since Argons don't have 3-gun fighters, it solves the QUasar issue nicely.

Nigjthaunt

Post by Nigjthaunt » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 12:59

I would really love the addition of a turret to heavy fighters - moving the current heavies into medium weight range and current fighters into light range

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 18:24

There is plenty of diversity in fighters, from the duper light and relatively useless (looking at you Elite) to the heavy hitters like Eclipse, Chimera, etc. I feel we need more diversity at the top end, perhaps ships part way between medium frigates and destroyers, or even (gasp!) XL battleships for each faction.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 19:00

i don't understand the game already have shouts, they are light fighters.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 20:53

What could you do to differentiate a light fighter from a scout or a regular fighter enough to warrant the distinction, while keeping it useful?

To me, regular fighters are light fighters. They typically have weak shields, and lower guns than a heavier fighter, while being faster than a heavy, but slower than a scout. I just don't see there being a gap big enough between scout and fighters to do something meaningfully different.

Rather than try and plug a hole so small between existing classes that I can't even see it, I might instead create something different. Like a dedicated S missile craft. Something with high missile capacity, and two weapon slots that can only be used to put missile launchers in. Then I'd slap a single turret on it for defense. Maybe give it some beefier shielding, largish size for an S ship(think about folding geometry for it to be able to land on an S Pad for example) and decent speed for making attack runs.

Would the AI be able to handle such a ship? I don’t know. But it's at least a bit different than what we have right now.

As25
x4

Post by As25 » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 21:07

The default fighter loadout is 2 guns and 1 shield, can't get any lighther than that. Idk why they choose 1 shield as the default, since the way they go around shields is +1 for Teladi and -1 for Paranid (they are the Split of the base game in X4). Perseus and Asp can't get into negative shielding so they kinda make the Nova obsolete.

As for the Kukri and the Takoba, each is just a +1 to something. Kukri is +1 gun. Takoba is +1 shield. The Takoba being fast is just Egosoft weird balancing. Kinda like making the slowest race have the fastest scout (Teladi Kestrel in X3).

Return to “X4: Foundations”