[REQUEST] Option to rename NPCs, like our ship Pilots

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

[REQUEST] Option to rename NPCs, like our ship Pilots

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 11:09

This is probably a niche thing and maybe not worth the trouble, but request an option to rename our pilots/staff, probably in the communication dialogue?.

I know its possible through editing the save, but then our game becomes modified.

Anyone else wish we could rename NPCs?. I have one Yaki Pilot who looks very much like Seven of Nine, another similar to Han Solo, maybe some people out there want to adventure with their spouse? .. It would add a bit of personalisation and endear the player to their crew.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

mr.WHO
x4

Re: [REQUEST] Option to rename NPCs, like our ship Pilots

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 11:33

That would be nice, give that in late game empire you start to notice multiple NPCs with the same name, kinda John Smith syndrome.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:00

+1 to that... I could use an all Greek crew... at least for my peronal ship.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:07

Does your boss rename you because they don't like your original name?

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:12

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:07
IRL of course they do, or give their employees a "nickname" and call them by it or just adress them in person with a "you"...

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 15:52

Falcrack wrote:
While I was in the Forces most of my life, yes we often were referred to by our rank, and I dare say people underneath me had some choice private nicknames too :D
I think we all do worse things to NPCs in this game though than renaming .. "Oy lads, go throw yourselves upside a paranid station would you, all for the cause theres a good chap. By the way I'm renaming you Splat 1, wear it with pride, tallyho!" :)
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

Seeker of Sohnen.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 16:10

Half of the X Universe is already named after us, because we did assassinate the other half ... :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Iosys
x4

Post by Iosys » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 16:26

I'd really be up for unique uniform or appearance customization for your hired crew as well, even if it's just from a selection of presets.
The standard uniform your faction gets looks pretty good, but I distinctly remember hiring a SCA, HAT or possibly ANT pilot with a hoodie last playthrough and I've been unable to find a smug hoodie-wearing pilot to chauffeur me around in my current campaign. Maybe I should spend more time lazing about on pirate bases :gruebel:

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 20:26

A ship of all meaningless drone 1, 2 ,3 ,etc...only pilots who don't fly into range of stations get real names and get to be considered a real person again. They have to EARN there names lol...I like it and I'm a for renaming ship crews.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 22. Mar 23, 22:06

I can understand not renaming a person from their 'real' name, however, we should be able to give all our NPC crew a 'nickname' .

Something often done in reality for thousands of years.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

subidax

Post by subidax » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 15:01

They aren't real people, they are bits of computer software. For roleplaying purposes people might want to rename or adjust name or add ranks or whatever so that their empire database layout all looks a certain way. Limited only by their imagination. Like any other similar feature you could elect to or not to but I'm not sure the "your boss doesn't rename you" argument is fair or relevant.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 19:38

subidax wrote:
Fri, 24. Mar 23, 15:01
They aren't real people, they are bits of computer software.
So are you from where I write this post. :P
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 23:13

:lol: A case of mind over matter .. I dont mind and they dont matter.

Seeker of Sohnen.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 01:47

Amazing how you guys did nothing at all excopet throw hurdles in front of the poor guy who had a perfectly reasonable request. I hope you'll be as understanding when YOU make a request and everyone makes sarcastic comments and are no help whatesoever until you give up. You 'fanboys' do more to hurt a game than help it. :x
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Da-V-Man
x4

Post by Da-V-Man » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 03:28

Falcrack wrote:
:rofl:

Well to be fair we don't live in the capitalist paradise that is the X-Universe.

That being said, there are other games that allow for such customization, such as the X-Com series. I can see myself naming a handful of crew, such as a 5-star pilot or marines once they've proven themselves.
These days I mainly just talk to plants and dogs,
all human contact seems painful, risky, odd,
so I stay acting god in my own X-Universe!

Return to “X4: Foundations”