Do you want sunlight changes for all sectors, yes or no?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you want sunlight changes for all sectors?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 67

ColonelBoom
x4

Do you want sunlight changes for all sectors, yes or no?

Post by ColonelBoom » Wed, 8. Feb 23, 22:35

I'm quite aware of the reasons as of why Egosoft does not do the change.

I found myself trying to play a new X4 game and when i got to see the old sectors it kind of turned me off from it, as it looks like Egosoft caters to certain long time players. This kind of reasoning prevents all kind of future changes to the economy that might improve the game overall. Like for example, adding maintenance/running/upkeep costs for stations/personal introducing an entire new dimension to the X universe.
Additionally it just cuts me off from the immersion...

I just want to know how many people want the change or not, so that i don't get my hopes up.

Thanks

Falcrack
x4

Re: Do you want sunlight changes for all sectors, yes or no?

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 04:43

Yes, but only if the change applies only to new games, not games in progress. That might mess up some fragile balance for existing stations.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 06:10

I am confused. What do you mean sunlight changes for all sectors? Sorry if I am dense on the subject lol Just can't wrap my head around this.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 06:51

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 9. Feb 23, 04:43
That might mess up some fragile balance for existing stations.
Exiting stations can be rebuild by player and factions.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 07:43

Zyarth's Dominion is already buffed in 6.00.

Personally, I would welcome more sunlight changes. A good range would be from 30% to 300%. That would be a huge difference for scrap recycling while energy production for conventional methods would still be viable in most sectors.

I understand that this cannot be done to ongoing playthroughs. Imagine a player who has build a scrap recycling facility with on site energy production in The Reach and suddenly sunlight there is nerved to 30%. They would be really angry at the devs.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 07:54

ZeroAffex wrote:
Thu, 9. Feb 23, 06:10
I am confused. What do you mean sunlight changes for all sectors? Sorry if I am dense on the subject lol Just can't wrap my head around this.
Each sector has a "sunlight" property that changes the effectivity of solar panels. In Argon Prime (100% sunlight) one solar panel produces 10500 Energy Cells per hour. In Bright Promise one solar panel produces 21000 Energy Cells per hour.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 09:21

Please do, kthxbye.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 15:41

Falcrack wrote:
Yes, but only if the change applies only to new games, not games in progress. That might mess up some fragile balance for existing stations.
I'd be fine with an "opt-in" method for existing saves. This goes for balancing sunlight, turrets stats, carrier S/M ship capacity, etc.

EDIT: Thinking about it more I'm not sure turret stats and ship capacity could be opt-in. That may fragment the playerbase in regards to multi-player content, something Egosoft probably wants to avoid.

Smart_Bomb
x4

Post by Smart_Bomb » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 16:58

Falcrack wrote:
+1
- Please check out & vote on my X4:F expansion idea thread

[ external image ]

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 9. Feb 23, 23:31

ZeroAffex wrote:
Thu, 9. Feb 23, 06:10

Each Sector has a particular amount of Sunlight the closer to the Sectors Star the gate is? The more energy cells you get from your Solar Arrays.
In Cradle of Humanity, you get about 200% sunlight from Venus, where as Pluto? You get about 5% Sunlight, so Pluto is not an ideal place to build a Solar Array where as Venus? You get double your money.

Before Split Vendetta? All Sectors gave you 100% Sunlight, so you could build a Solar Array anywhere you liked without a penalty.
Just makes Sunlight a strategic resource like Ore, Methane, Silicon Etc.

Personally, I don't Mind losing my Saved Games if it means that each system has different sunlight values, makes the game loads more strategic and fun when you can no longer spam Solar Arrays everywhere.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 14:45

spankahontis wrote:
Thu, 9. Feb 23, 23:31
... each system has different sunlight values, makes the game loads more strategic and fun when you can no longer spam Solar Arrays everywhere.
Can? Sure you can.
If you build in the darkness of Kuiper Belt, then why would you not spam the place with arrays to meet the quota?
If you go to bright Avarice, then why would you not spam the place with arrays ... for profitsss? :teladi:

What the differences in light would give, is an option to haul energy from elsewhere.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 15:39

I vote yes - it's nothing major, at worst you would have to rearange your solar panel modules or build solar power station somewhere alese.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 16:32

Thanks for the explanations Spankahontis and TheDeliveryMan! Makes perfect sense now and went ahead and voted 'yes' just because I prefer as much randomization as possible to keep new games feeling different and fresh. I'd also love to see some randomly generated sectors someday so I can live out my space-explorer fantasies, but I don't want to veer offtopic in going into wants like that. I'll just surmise to say that so long as something like this doesn't affect current saves or as it was suggested, having an opt-in option I'd be fine with it. Might even be a good idea if Egosoft moves forward with this to have it completely optional as not to upset those might be opposed to it being different so everyone is happy. But yeah, I like this idea and support it.

Edit: Oh wow, it's my 50th post! Can't believe it! I came to these forums to post 1 thing to devs like a month ago and can't stop coming back now. I just love it here <3 haha
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:36

ZeroAffex wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 16:32
Edit: Oh wow, it's my 50th post! Can't believe it! I came to these forums to post 1 thing to devs like a month ago and can't stop coming back now. I just love it here <3 haha
And in a few years you'll have 4000 posts, and look back at it with a mixture of pride and regret!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:41

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:36
And in a few years you'll have 4000 posts, and look back at it with a mixture of pride and regret!
Don't even...

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:59

this forum is imho the best place for actual correct info about this game, its nice and tidy, searchable, devs presence and for x veterans a fond place, worst is steam then reddit, discord is ok also but its for mostly casual and pun talk :lol: , and fast answers help to all new and old players
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 19:08

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:41
Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 17:36
Don't even...
Mostly regret...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 19:15

(Nearly 40,000 of CBJ's posts are probably something like: "Read the Sticky called 'Read before Posting' at the top of this forum." :D ) <Packs bags and leaves.>
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Fri, 10. Feb 23, 22:44

jlehtone wrote:
Fri, 10. Feb 23, 14:45
spankahontis wrote:
Thu, 9. Feb 23, 23:31
... each system has different sunlight values, makes the game loads more strategic and fun when you can no longer spam Solar Arrays everywhere.
Can? Sure you can.
If you build in the darkness of Kuiper Belt, then why would you not spam the place with arrays to meet the quota?
If you go to bright Avarice, then why would you not spam the place with arrays ... for profitsss? :teladi:

What the differences in light would give, is an option to haul energy from elsewhere.
You can most certainly do that, but in the early game? You wont be able to do that as you will run out of credits pretty quick building enough Arrays to give a Wharf and all your factories enough power to mass produce anything. Which is the point.

Faster to Network a bunch of Warehouses to mine basics and have ships move them from Sector to Sector; where they would be delivered to the Wharf.
Much more fun to me to problem solve it that way.
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Waltz9

Post by Waltz9 » Sat, 11. Feb 23, 10:29

Nah. I don't like this idea.
even though it doens't make sense to have 100% sunlight in all sectors. it could have a huge impact on the economy of the game.
Really not a good idea in my opinion.

Return to “X4: Foundations”