X Rebirth Map/Factions/Ships as DLC

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Shinra Vanity

X Rebirth Map/Factions/Ships as DLC

Post by Shinra Vanity » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 22:42

Just been playing some X rebirth again and I was wondering just how possible it would be to add

The Factions (like Plutarch)
the Systems
The Ships

to X4 in the form of a DLC

I would buy it in a heartbeat

Would everything have to be redone from scratch or could many things be ported over?

Do the games use the same engine?

I know you can get the ships in the form of mods but I am talking about the entire map or a selection of sectors at least

and it would be fun to add new factions to x4

bringing back omicron lyrae would make Terran playthroughs a lot more interesting

I would like to know if anyone at Egosoft has ever thought about this

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X Rebirth Map/Factions/Ships as DLC

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 22:59

As you say, there is a limited 3rd party XR ship mod but the devs are not keen on doing something like your suggestion themselves.

You already have X4 Teladi capitals very much like those in XR, by the way.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 01:12

I know a modder managed to do it in a limited fashion, but it was never released as a fully fledged mod. I too would like to see something like this, maybe as a DLC after the Boron DLC. I like the X:Rebirth sectors, but was just not a fan of some of the gameplay decisions, primarily only limited to flying the skunk. Who thought it was a good idea to limit you to a single ship, and then call that ship "The Skunk?"

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 10:34

I'd also love - and instantly buy - such an expansion.

Now that all the factions are complete and creating new full shipsets/station sets stops being an issue, I hope the devs reconsider their stance on not doing that project. Despite all the flaws the game had, the X:R stations, sectors and ships were some of the most beautiful things Egosoft ever created. It would be a terrible waste to see all those assets go unused. The X:R ship pack is one of the most subscribed mods for the game, that alone shows how much people like those old assets.

Shinra Vanity

Post by Shinra Vanity » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 12:05

xant wrote:
Thu, 2. Feb 23, 10:34

Now that all the factions are complete and creating new full shipsets/station sets stops being an issue, I hope the devs reconsider their stance on not doing that project. Despite all the flaws the game had, the X:R stations, sectors and ships were some of the most beautiful things Egosoft ever created. It would be a terrible waste to see all those assets go unused. The X:R ship pack is one of the most subscribed mods for the game, that alone shows how much people like those old assets.
yes so many sectors in XR have had so much love poured into making them

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 12:40

xant wrote:
Thu, 2. Feb 23, 10:34

Same here - the only reason I don't "like" Rebirth is because I am too limited in terms of ship gameplay (one-ship-policy - we didn't even get a single turret on our "M6". I'm a turret fetishist :oops: ). Everything else in X:Rebirth was spot on. The areas which need improvement are covered by X4 already (better character models, refined gameplay mechanics like station scanning, space legs & station legs)

A DLC revisiting the X:Rebirth systems & factions would be awesome. We als have additional Argon sectors - and TECH! to discover. E.g. we could introduce a ARG battleship by reconnecting to Omycron Lyrae (Fulmecron).

It doesn't necessarely have to be a 1:1 port of X:Rebirth - but instead a redesign based on the X:Rebirth material. While some may disagree I don't want every ship from X:Rebirth back in X4 as it would throw of the balance.

tl:dr X:Rebirth DLC with sectors, some ships and continuation of the X:Rebirth story (how did the factions fare after the canon "ending") would be awesome :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:08

I agree that pretty much one OL capship would be enough, and would fit the gaping hole of no Argon ships revisited since X4 launch.

The pillars sector for example was incredible beauty compared to anything in X4. If only The Void was anything like that...
Last edited by magitsu on Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:16

I'd also like to add that such a DLC presents a great opportunity to revive the concept of independent/semi-dependent corporations, like Plutarch, Jonferson, Sonra Energy, Terracorp, OTAS, Atreus, Strong Arms and more.

The player needs some form of competition, nations/factions are too passive and too limited to their own sectors for that. That would also open the door for public tenders, i.e. to deliver fleets, build stations etc. Right now only the player can accept and complete missions, that should change at some point. At least for some missions.

Could be an incredible expansion.

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:33

xant wrote:
Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:16
Could be an incredible expansion.
I agree that corporations could be the way to extend diplomacy.
Maybe more dynamically than X4's faction diplomacy which is very one-way, affected only through main story / dlc missions. It's a bit too player centric theme park compared to sandbox which is more expected when thinking about the flexibility of most mechanisms. Corporations could adjust more without player input while not messing up the wildly different gameplay paces which players have.

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:44

magitsu wrote:
Thu, 2. Feb 23, 13:33
I agree that corporations could be the way to extend diplomacy.
No need to end at diplomacy, there is also some potential regarding sector ownership, mining/trading licences and taxation in general. But for that all the big players need to return (OTAS, Terracorp, Plutarch) first.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 14:10

I just want way more ships and more ship types. Don't care how and would gladly pay. Goes for some old/new factions :D
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

Return to “X4: Foundations”