Beta 2 question - attack surface elements

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

debstar2610
x4

Beta 2 question - attack surface elements

Post by debstar2610 » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 13:29

Hi

I ve tested swarm fighters against a xenon I.
And I m doing it wrong.
I used lots of takoba and eclipse with different weapons. ( ion, blast mortar, thermal des integrator)

Can someone has an advice for a simple setup to share, witouht missile or torpedo.

Either my fighter are too fast and deal not enough damage. Or the xenon I is constantly spinning each time something hits it. Or my fighters got trapped in some gravity field with it ( more like planets turning around the sun).

Actually, It would work if the xenon is static but I do not know how to do that. (engines are destroyed already)

Or maybe the surface elements are not locked by the AI??

blackphoenixx

Re: Beta 2 question - attack surface elements

Post by blackphoenixx » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 14:22

10 Novas with burst rays works well for me against SCA destroyers to quickly destroy turrets, though i haven't tested them against Xenon yet.

If you're using blast mortars against K/I you shouldn't even need to attack surface elements, a bunch (5 for a K, 10 for an I) of Eclipses or Chimeras with all blast mortars go through the main shield and hull with zero trouble both IS and OOS.
My own go-to for K's and I's is bomber wings of 10 Chimeras each with 3 blast mortars and 2 tracking launchers with heavy starburst missiles, but 5 blast mortars each works fine too, just a little slower.

debstar2610
x4

Post by debstar2610 » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 20:22

Thanks : burst ray are really efficient for boarding !!! never tried that before !!!

Waiting for a new Xenon I for testing full blast mortars now !

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Mon, 30. Jan 23, 23:33

I did some testing using 40 burst ray chimeras. They disarm any L ship within seconds. Also tried them against a xenon defense station, which was disarmed in under a minute with no casualties. Burst ray just doesn’t do any dmg to anything else then surface elements.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 03:04

rene6740 wrote:
Mon, 30. Jan 23, 23:33
I did some testing using 40 burst ray chimeras. They disarm any L ship within seconds. Also tried them against a xenon defense station, which was disarmed in under a minute with no casualties. Burst ray just doesn’t do any dmg to anything else then surface elements.
Was the testing done IS or OOS?

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 20:34

IS

debstar2610
x4

Post by debstar2610 » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 16:50

Eyeklops wrote:
Tue, 31. Jan 23, 03:04
rene6740 wrote:
Mon, 30. Jan 23, 23:33
Was the testing done IS or OOS?
Really interesting. That is exactly what I m looking for,

Once turrets are clear. The demolition squads of destroyers5zre free.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Wed, 1. Feb 23, 18:50

Is there a setting for this, or does it have to be manually selected.

Say I have a carrier in the void with 40 fighters in 2 groups of 20, both on position defense. Could one group have surface elements as it's setting and another does normal attack runs?

debstar2610
x4

Post by debstar2610 » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 11:37

My last settings. With no I Win Ships. Push button...
Carrier : colosus
Destroyers : behemoth
Fighters BR : takoba and eclipse (because I like their design)
Fighters AZ : nova and eclipse (same, love the nova and its turning thrusters)
katana for... Making an Intercept Zone =) 20 km from the Xen cap ship
Pegasus am with satellites to map the zone and evaluates distances (sad no grid in X4 for that)

One group of Fighters with burst ray. For manual attack surface elements.
One group of fighters AA with Gattling. For interception with a M ship as leader. So I can simulate a position defense in intercept role.
One group of destroyer waiting far away

I have to do it manually because :
- fighters do not cycle through multiple capital ship when all the surface elements are destroyed. So i have to watch and cancel order then attack next capital
- when there are multiple Xen I K... I use M ship to lead fighters in interception.. Carrier are not fast enough to move or evade Xen cap

Return to “X4: Foundations”