AI even worse

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Moessus

AI even worse

Post by Moessus » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 16:08

Hello,
I am running 6.0 Beta. I am trying out this new supposed AI changes and from what I am seeing the AI is suffering worse. My experiment was to take a series of Asgards and try different attack commands on stations.

When I select a group and attacked a single ZYA station. They all swarmed, but did not fire on the station at all. They received fire, while they were attacking drones and fighters only. With medium turrets only. Large turrets did not activate.
- I selected to attack turrets, no change.
- I then ordered a retreat, removing the attack command from queue and they started firing turrets on the station at that point.

I had single Asgards attack TEL stations, they would blitz, not fire at all and all got crushed. The medium turrets did go after smaller targets

I find if I put ships at a hold position close to stations, they will fire at will. All turrets.

I did find that the ships did close on the stations from a distance a lot quicker than before, but I found the end result was just a quicker demise.

There needs to be commands to set an orbit distance, something to allow us to bombard from range. Anything to improve on what we have now. Right now the AI mechanics are broken and should be the top priority. This is extremely disheartening that this long after game release and this critical component to the game is still not operating in a functional manner.

I used a save from Vanilla. No mods. Build 492332. I hope this feedback helps get things corrected for release.

:evil:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: AI even worse

Post by CBJ » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 16:12

Please provide a savegame demonstrating what you believe to be a problem scenario.

Moessus

Post by Moessus » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 16:12

Adding new information. My Raptor was set to attack turrets, it got in close and I could visibly see it attacking them. This was on a ZYA refinery. Large and Medium turrets all attacking what appeared to be the nearest turret.

Too close and too much heat for it RIP.

Moessus

Post by Moessus » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 16:19

I hope this works, please let me know if it does not.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AocDPpwd56o6hadNhuG ... A?e=JMfRN8

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 18:07

I tried that save.
They do fire, they are those purple balls that fly at a much slower rate than beams/pulse.

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 18:47

Further reports from that save:
Without me doing anything JPR-404 Asgard kills the targeted ZYA Refined Food Complex with mostly L Plasma.
I also tried if you somehow meant the main guns... I changed the assigned slot of the ship you are on to the 1st which had 2x Main Battery and 1x ATF XL Battery and gave an attack order to ZYA Ice Refinery. It started moving in, whiffed the first XL shot by a mile but then pointed its nose at the station's dock module. Then it let rip with the main batteries and shortly later also with the XL. Basically perfect execution. Here it didn't use the the turrets, because of what's really amazing: the destroyer AI stayed at the max range of its longest reaching weapons aka main guns! Something which was impossible before.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 19:19

Windows or Linux?

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 10:29

The reasoning of the AI (by God, do not say that is is a programmers fault, out loud!) (but you programmers know that it is you, hey?)is sometimes so ackward...
[1] The autopilot(AP)
- for still unknown reasons the AP stops right in a path to a destined point of ... nothing, refiring the travel engines for multiple times and aparently it does this for nothing.

- when at travel speed flying and in the far distance an object appears, it flies either very close up make weird movements and after a good number of seconds it fires the travel engines back up. (Manual control could evade this object by strafing without losing its momentum) (oh right, those laws do not apply here)

- when a station should be entered, I have witnessed things that freaks me out, flying straight through big massive stations as if it not there, landing in a dockingbay with landingpad 10 lit up right in front of you, entering the station at number 10, flying right over it, to almost the other side of the station, then turn and fly back to number 10 and land... :? :o :o :rant: .

[2] The environment
- Where our start station is, with Boso Ta in it, YOUR station, when entering that system from any gate, seeing in the very far distance your station, unobstructed, but when flying towards it, it crowds full with asteroids. Now, despite the graphicscard running at ultra, with no hassel, enough memory on my machine, nothing else is running, except the game, (looked at taskmanager, and was almost sleeping) and still they let asteroids pop up out of nowhere, for fun?
Why is this such a problem to make a game, let different graphics settings become important and do nothing with it? This should have a setting, display far far far away objects too, even if they start out very small, like in reality? is it that hard?
Try to look at (https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/solar-system/#/home) and zoom in on one of the satellites that we have roaming around, from first glance it is not there but scroll towards it..... just an example of how asteroids could also be there and not visible

Still, I love the game, waving away all the problems, 40% Teladi stations, but not one single ship that can defend one big ass station in Two Grand, let it almost shoot down by ONE SINGLE XENON-N!!!!!!!!!!!!! and when the two brothers are declined, I am at war with, hmmm, lets count here a handfull of Syndicate stations and literally an uncountable number of little Syndicate ships roaming around EVERYWHERE and making your life a HELL! :evil: :evil: :evil: :gruebel:
So, I had to ventilate that too. I had to rescue the Teladi station from destruction, could not save their shipyard at one point, attacking a friendly, not my thing at this point. (They did not build another yard, why not?)
- If you want to kill some friendly, be prepared to fight EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM INSTANTLY, not that one ship, no, that is not how their logic is spread througout the game. Can't have 'beef' with just one person or ship. So, if you decide to 'help out a friendly', repercussions are {1-every ship you have, let it be guarded by small fighter ships - all the time} and this {2-costs money, which at the beginning you don't have yet and any fellow friendly or allianced fraction IS NOT GONNA HELP YOU}

So, I did have to rant about this, it would be so nice if the devs decide to make it mor realistic at this point, so when we want to help out another friendly that is being harrased by another friendly to you, either give us the possibility to act as a neutral - not affiliated - some ghost ship that helps out option, or a possibility to communicate with them. This way the voice actors of the game have a task at hand, and they would gladly help out.

So, in a nutshell, work on these ethics, make this the best game there is out there, make us proud of owning a copy and keep investing in any produce that comes from EGOSOFT.

Thanks for taking the time to hear my ranting plea.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 31. Jan 23, 10:37

Since this has become a suggestion/rant thread and tests of the provided save issue are inconclusive, I'll move it over to the gameplay forum.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”