X4: Kingdom End - Egosoft reveals the Boron reunion

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: X4: Kingdom End - Egosoft reveals the Boron reunion

Post by Tamina » Sat, 31. Dec 22, 22:58

Egosoft carries 100% of the responsibiliy of their Business decisions, so they rightfully take all their right to take all the decisions they see best fit for all stakeholders.
Last edited by Tamina on Sun, 1. Jan 23, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 03:44

Tamina wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 22:58
their right to take all the decisions they see best fit for all shareholders.
Well, fortunately Egosoft isn't a public company. I doubt their releases would be as ethical/player friendly otherwise.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 07:33

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 20:47
af_2017 wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 13:02
A piece of criticism here:
1. it is really not clear reasons to keep this DLC in secret for last half year.
2. we still don't know when it will be released; 1 January and 31 December are both in 2023.

I assume that keeping terms in secret could be explained by unexpected delays and underestimating. Saying "we plan to release it at Q2 2023; but can postpone in case of difficulties" is quite OK and understandable.
Keeping scope of features also can be kept in secret just for cases when development can stuck and thus plans could change.
I can accept this.

But adding new sectors/wares/ships/factions already was performed and not once. This is not new and the process is established already.
Split Vendetta was released 2020-03-31 (Saturday)
Cradle of Humanity was released on 2021-03-16 (Tuesday)
Tides of Avarice was released on 2022-03-14 (Monday)

My guess is Kingdom End DLC will release on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023. Anyone want to play this game?
I cba to check the calendar for the exact date. But I vote for a day before the 14th, as we can see it trends to earlier and earlier.
I'll say either 12th or nearer to the 1st, or maybe even 13th.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sun, 1. Jan 23, 23:47

adeine wrote:
Sun, 1. Jan 23, 03:44
Tamina wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 22:58
their right to take all the decisions they see best fit for all shareholders.
Well, fortunately Egosoft isn't a public company. I doubt their releases would be as ethical/player friendly otherwise.
Autocorrect or just clumsy me. I wanted to say "Stakeholders" not Shareholders :)

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Mon, 2. Jan 23, 06:18

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 31. Dec 22, 20:47
Split Vendetta was released 2020-03-31 (Saturday)
Cradle of Humanity was released on 2021-03-16 (Tuesday)
Tides of Avarice was released on 2022-03-14 (Monday)

My guess is Kingdom End DLC will release on Wednesday, March 22nd, 2023. Anyone want to play this game?
According to #efaa, which has great relations with the Boron, Kingdom End should release on Friday, March 24th, 2023. #efaa states that this prediction is made with 87% certainty. I’d also like to thank the Ancients for allowing #efaa’s mind to briefly exit the “Cloud” in order to share their thoughts. :)

(Also, to Egosoft, I think it’d be interesting to see how the “New Xenon” would fare against the “Old Xenon”, perhaps that could an interesting idea for plot, or maybe a “research mission”. [Player owned Graviton Turrets? :twisted: ])

Azzotic
x4

Post by Azzotic » Tue, 3. Jan 23, 22:04

LETS GO! I love x4 so much and now I love it more <3
A good start makes for an easy finish

FatalKeks
x4

Post by FatalKeks » Wed, 4. Jan 23, 00:55

I'm so hyped... I just love this game! :D

Belphegor2_3
x4

Post by Belphegor2_3 » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 19:20

Stoats not Goats wrote:
Wed, 28. Dec 22, 03:34

What about the other 1052 TODO @Owens? (yes I checked how many times TODO @Owen appears in the games files) Sounds like you have a lot TODO :P
Hm. Performance optim possible there ? :lol:

Fact is that xml is really not a good choixe for perf, and that it is not possible to change it now without big interface incompatibility issues (mods, all that), or readibility issue (using binary xml which can improve reading time by a factor 10).

These funny things said...

The sonner the better for the borons. We always loved this faction, and we are missing them since the launch of X4. We indeed understood that graphical part is more difficult for them, and we expect much there. The preview is appealing. This is excellent.

When ?
We need a schedule !
We need borons !

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 19:52

Belphegor2_3 wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 19:20
Fact is that xml is really not a good choixe for perf, and that it is not possible to change it now without big interface incompatibility issues (mods, all that), or readibility issue (using binary xml which can improve reading time by a factor 10).
I'm pretty sure the devs mentioned a loooong time ago (X:Rebirth-days) that the XML is not actually executed in-game as game code, but rather on game-start all the XML stuff gets converted to an internal bytecode/game-internal instructions, which should run much faster.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 19:58

Correct. The choice of file format has absolutely no effect on in-game performance. Even its impact on startup time is minimal, and, contrary to popular belief, the same applies to the loading and saving of savegames. :)

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 20:02

Alright, how should I put this ... SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I wonder if this had been planned all along (or sufficently long ago enough) or if this was the handiwork of the community continuously asking for the Borons to make their comeback and I'd love to hear the answer to that question (and many more related to the upcoming content).

Very much looking forward to 6.0 and the DLC and very appreciative thanks for the continued work and improvements for this game.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 22:58

Feloidea wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 20:02

I wonder if this had been planned all along (or sufficently long ago enough) or if this was the handiwork of the community continuously asking for the Borons to make their comeback and I'd love to hear the answer to that question (and many more related to the upcoming content).

Very much looking forward to 6.0 and the DLC and very appreciative thanks for the continued work and improvements for this game.
My feeling, they had all this planned out in terms of DLCs from the very beginning.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 5. Jan 23, 23:58

You are seriously overestimating how effective our crystal ball is! At the time of X4's release, I'm pretty sure we only had reasonably firm plans for one expansion. It's no secret that we've wanted to get the Boron back into the series for a long time, but at that point we had no idea when, or even how, we were going to be able to do that. I'm fairly sure Bernd even mentioned this point in one of the interviews he's done.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 00:40

In fact he at some point just refused to comment on that topic :mrgreen:

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

|K.O.S.H.
x3tc

Post by |K.O.S.H. » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 08:12

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 22:58
Feloidea wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 20:02

My feeling, they had all this planned out in terms of DLCs from the very beginning.
I dont get teh problem.
Its ok to release a base product and then expand it bit by bit.

When you develop software, you always have limited resources and you have to focus on some and postpone other features.
If egosoft develepoed the game for 10 years and then released one "complete" game, it would cost 200€. If they had survived the whole time without generatign any profit.

I'm a software developer myself, i really appriciate egosofts strategy.

We all get updates for free since 2018. No other publishes does this!
Also the addons are priced very fair.
Wing Commander Mod - German Topic
06.07.11 - v1.1 RELEASED!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 14:45

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 5. Jan 23, 23:58
You are seriously overestimating how effective our crystal ball is! At the time of X4's release, I'm pretty sure we only had reasonably firm plans for one expansion.
You did sell Collector's Edition prior to release that did include two expansions, didn't you?
The plan for the second DLC was still "something" back then?

Wish I had plans half as firm as that. 8)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 15:31

he did say reasonably firm so they knew how where and when, just and idea for second third and fourth was probably there from the beginning, and borons somewhere before 4.0
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 15:34

CBJ wrote:
You are seriously overestimating how effective our crystal ball is! At the time of X4's release, I'm pretty sure we only had reasonably firm plans for one expansion. It's no secret that we've wanted to get the Boron back into the series for a long time, but at that point we had no idea when, or even how, we were going to be able to do that. I'm fairly sure Bernd even mentioned this point in one of the interviews he's done.
So when was it actually decided that the Boron DLC was going to be made, and you officially started working on it?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 15:43

Even if I was in a position to do so, I couldn't give you a simple answer to that question. That's just not how things happened. :)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 6. Jan 23, 17:58

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 6. Jan 23, 15:34
CBJ wrote:
So when was it actually decided that the Boron DLC was going to be made, and you officially started working on it?
I think Bernd indirectly hinted that Borons are in the work (but shouldn't be expected anytime soon) somewere during Split DLC preview live stream.

Return to “X4: Foundations”