Who owns Scrap Cubes?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Scoob
x4

Who owns Scrap Cubes?

Post by Scoob » Wed, 30. Nov 22, 02:01

Hey all,

I was wondering who owns the Scrap Cubes created by the Teuta Compactor ships? I've seen these ships going around, breaking down wrecks into Cubes and my own Tugs have been able to tow these away without issue.

How about Scrap Cubes produced by my own Teuta? Can other factions take and sell the Cubes it's produced? It seems like a lot of effort to go to - assuming you buy a Teuta and not acquire one like I did - to then have all its produced Scrap Cubes taken by other factions.

Duncaroos
x4

Re: Who owns Scrap Cubes?

Post by Duncaroos » Thu, 1. Dec 22, 00:58

Scrap cubes have no owner. First come, first serve :)
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Waltz9

Post by Waltz9 » Thu, 1. Dec 22, 08:22

well, obviously its something you could discuss.
When you claim a sector with the friend or foe mines I believe the mines becomes your mines.
So you could say the cubes belong to the sector owners also.
Even though you wouldn't get any rep lose for stealing them.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 2. Dec 22, 13:36

Duncaroos wrote:
Thu, 1. Dec 22, 00:58
Scrap cubes have no owner. First come, first serve :)
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. I wish there was some way I could just store unprocessed Scrap, hoarding it for later in the game. I captured a Teuta very early on and there are plenty of wrecks to feed it, just need some Tugs. However, the cost, time and Energy requirements of a Scrap Processing Facility are way too much at this stage. I have, in the past, just deployed Tugs to haul wrecks and cubes for sale to another Faction - good money in that - but that invariably means placing them in or near a sector that has a station demanding Scrap. There's no way to hoard it locally and then ship it to sale.

Basically, I'd need to micro-manage the sale of every single scrap cube, as there's no way to store it locally and assign a ship to sell it. Need a "Scrap Yard" module that's just a giant, raw scrap storage - no processing - and a scrap hauler ship to take bulk loads of it.

I do like the scrap / recycling mechanic, but it's a bit too late-game when it comes to implementing it, and it's really not that efficient. I can produce far more Hull Parts and Claytronics the regular way. It is fun, but the feature needs padding out a bit more, with more options on how to handle the Scrap.

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 02:17

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 2. Dec 22, 13:36
Well, really if you have many tugs (I forget their name) assigned to a station, they will pick up scrap and fly around the station waiting to drop it off....it is a way to store scrap, but risky if there are enemy ships around.
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 22:49

I guess I'd just like a repository for unprocessed scrap. So I can store up a supply during the early-game, then work on Processing it later. Or just sell it to NPC stations from a central hub - like I do with mined Ores.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 00:17

Scoob wrote:
Fri, 2. Dec 22, 13:36
I do like the scrap / recycling mechanic, but it's a bit too late-game when it comes to implementing it...
Other way round for me. I've been using it as a cheap early game method for obtaining basic construction materials which requires much lower expenditure on station blueprints & ships needed to gather resources. If kept to a small scale the e-cell requirements are not all that excessive (even in a sector with a conventional 100% sun) & the process can be fed continuously with just a few tugs (have never got round to owning a Teuta myself). It's now in the mid to late game that I start using conventional methods of manufacturing hull parts etc, building those modules out of reprocessed scrap. Such methods do scale better if you need large quantities of construction materials, however they're a LOT more expensive to deploy (at least if blueprints & ships are bought rather than stolen).

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Mon, 5. Dec 22, 09:19

IMHO, scrap recycling really has its sweet spot early game. The initial costs for a bare bones scrap recycling facility are extremely low (about 12M credits). You only need a dock, container storage, solar panel, solid strorage, scrap processor, scrap recycler and a tug. Then you can incrementally add more solar panels to increase recycling output.

Return to “X4: Foundations”