QoL Suggestion: Grouping for ship modifications

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Feloidea
x4

QoL Suggestion: Grouping for ship modifications

Post by Feloidea » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 15:48

Ship modding for the largest part is fine as many major modding subjects like engines, main shields are all grouped and benefit from a singular mod.

Weapons, turret groups and subsystem shields however are a different story. Main weapons in particular are an annoyance to modify beecause weapon mods (particularily the desired excellent ones) have many different variables and in some cases even the variable bonus can be completely different. That makes maintaining some resemblance of performance equivalence even with the same kind of guns a near impossibility the more slots a ship has. Guns of the same type can have different damage, speed, range, reload and cooling values, as can have turret group 1 have different values compared to turret group 2 even though are using the same turret type. So can the shields for turret group 1 and 2 have different values.

I would suggest the ability to manually designate multiple instances of the same object into one group that then gets modified together, all objects within the group receiving the same bonuses. The number of required modding materials can just scale proportionally to keep the cost identical (two objects in the group, twice the modding materials cost, etc.).

As it stands right now, particularily weapon modding is something that I personally barely touch with the exception of Slasher mods for turrets (because they are the only real option to use and the variance in bonuses isn't too wild if you invest in some reassembly to get roughly similar performance, plus with turrets it's not as much of an issue compared to mainguns) and ships that only have a very limited amount of mainguns (reassembling mods to have two guns roughly match performance is still halfway realistic, but look at ships with 4+ weapon slots and no, just no).

I'm fully aware that the ship modification aspect in the game isn't fully fleshed out, nor meant to be more than a highly exclusive way for players to go ham on their personal player/trophy ships, but it would be a welcome improvement especially for weapon modding if my suggestion or something to that effect could be implemented in the future.

Thanks

Eyeklops
x4

Re: QoL Suggestion: Grouping for ship modifications

Post by Eyeklops » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 18:01

I love this idea. It reminds me that fully modding out my Raptor took almost an entire evening lol. Being able to group all the shield gens and turrets of similar types together would have saved me a ton of time. Not a huge fan of playing the RNG "reassemble" mod game and it's absurd on the Raptor haha.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 19:44

Dislike this idea. Often find it useful to have mismatched weapon mods, e.g. on a destroyer having one main gun optimised for long range sniping, the other configured for high damage & rate of fire.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 19:54

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 17. Nov 22, 19:44
Dislike this idea. Often find it useful to have mismatched weapon mods, e.g. on a destroyer having one main gun optimised for long range sniping, the other configured for high damage & rate of fire.
He suggested to manually designate items to groups, not forced groupings. Would that mitigate your issue?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 20:17

I have supported this thread's suggestion in the past (at point 3). I accept the validity of GCU's objection to such a change being the only option available though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”