This game has excellent logical structure. Make room for more chaos and unexpected events.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

This game has excellent logical structure. Make room for more chaos and unexpected events.

Post by Omni-Orb » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:06

I hope most of us agree that this game is good at the extremely logically ordered structure of it.

What I think this game needs more of is to allow the game create by random chance unexpected situations by adding more different evens similar to patrols, rare ship excursions, more high value random loot.
Random ship mods at random ships. unexpected unit behavior like having a low chance of random friendly ships attacking each other for different reasons and deserter ships.

And feel free to add other random behavior and events that we think will improve the chance for memorable random events.
Last edited by Omni-Orb on Sat, 24. Sep 22, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.
Credence follow stars.

Omni-Orb
x4

Re: This game has excellent logical structure. Make room for more chaos and unexpected events.

Post by Omni-Orb » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 18:12

LughC wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:42
What?
The post is restructured for clarity.
Credence follow stars.

ggttcc2
x4

Re: This game has excellent logical structure. Make room for more chaos and unexpected events.

Post by ggttcc2 » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 19:39

Judging by his various posts, OP is clearly high on something. :lol:

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 20:03

ggttcc2 wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 19:39
Judging by his various posts, OP is clearly high on something. :lol:
It is true. I am clearly high. Like a high archon or high elf.
I learned to harvest eat and drink a mix of diverse wild green herbs/plants/weeds (We can call them space weeds since they are on a floating sphere in space) from the area where I live.
They empower me physically, my mind and body has a clearer feeling now, where It used to be like a thick fog.
A lifetime of focus meditation (Gaming) helps too.
Credence follow stars.

LughC

Post by LughC » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 20:42

PhotonPulse wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 18:12
LughC wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:42
What?
The post is restructured for clarity.
So... This game has a solid foundation of logic behind its systems and your idea is to remove logic by having more things magically spawn or have NPCs act irrationally?

Gtadam
x4

Post by Gtadam » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 20:49

Can't help but to agree fully.

We need more unexpected things to happen. I think the simulator part of this game has too much room. That everything has to happen a certain way because it has to be simulated.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:32

LughC wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 20:42
So... This game has a solid foundation of logic behind its systems and your idea is to remove logic by having more things magically spawn or have NPCs act irrationally?
This is not my idea, you said it.
Credence follow stars.

LughC

Post by LughC » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:48

PhotonPulse wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:32
PhotonPulse wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 17:06
I hope most of us agree that this game is good at the extremely logically ordered structure of it.
You establish your belief that the game is good at the logically ordered structure.
PhotonPulse wrote:
What I think this game needs more of is to allow the game create by random chance unexpected situations by adding more different evens similar to patrols, rare ship excursions, more high value random loot.
Random ship mods at random ships. unexpected unit behavior like having a low chance of random friendly ships attacking each other for different reasons and deserter ships.

And feel free to add other random behavior and events that we think will improve the chance for memorable random events.
you then go on to say it needs more examples of ships spawning (loot,ship mods ect) and that the AI should just start shooting at friendlies for "reasons"

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:53

While I'd like some more "chaos" in the game for it to be more interesting and less predictable, I'm afraid that the whole structure of the game prevents and even forbids that. Real time resourse based economy says a big no to "interesting randomness".

Are you aware that even the ships we encounter at the edges of the sectors have been "kidnapped" from their original position to make the player less "lonely" in the emptiness of space, especially outside of "main" trade routes?

Good suggestion but don't raise your hopes too much...

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 00:04

LughC wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:48
PhotonPulse wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 21:32
PhotonPulse wrote:
You establish your belief that the game is good at the logically ordered structure.

you then go on to say it needs more examples of ships spawning (loot,ship mods ect) and that the AI should just start shooting at friendlies for "reasons"
"reasons" to become hostile to friendlies can be betrayal, theft, rage and confusion(An extremely rare chance tied to morale, piloting and management skill as some examples)
And what i meant is having more diverse specialized ship roles like bounty hunters, smugglers, pirates, fleet leaders and similar ships having a certain amount of random chance to have useful mods connected to its role.
dtpsprt wrote:
Sat, 24. Sep 22, 22:53
Are you aware that even the ships we encounter at the edges of the sectors have been "kidnapped" from their original position to make the player less "lonely" in the emptiness of space, especially outside of "main" trade routes?
I actually don't like 'ship spawning' either it's not in the spirit of this game, being a logic-based game.
What I'm saying is more random 'events' like the Intervention Corps, military patrols, yaki raids and similar events with random enough directions.
Since events like this create unexpected battles at unexpected locations.

I truly need to learn how to write my main posts more explanatory, apologies, and thanks for challenging it, it creates more creative thought.
Credence follow stars.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 01:58

While I don't think the game should have artificial spawns or anything of that sort, i think random "nudges" in order to make factions more active and cause more activity in the universe would be a good thing, for example a sudden bust of aggressiveness or single fighter wings being assigned to doing a special operation to sabotage/empty(hacking) an enemy station.

Factions other than TER having an intervention fleet would also be interesting.

Omni-Orb
x4

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 02:32

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Sun, 25. Sep 22, 01:58
While I don't think the game should have artificial spawns or anything of that sort, i think random "nudges" in order to make factions more active and cause more activity in the universe would be a good thing, for example a sudden bust of aggressiveness or single fighter wings being assigned to doing a special operation to sabotage/empty(hacking) an enemy station.

Factions other than TER having an intervention fleet would also be interesting.
Good ideas!
Makes me think of a new ship role, a spy disgused as a civilian in a disgused ship, disrupting enemy station consoles with hacking.
Credence follow stars.

Mevelios

Post by Mevelios » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 04:08

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Sun, 25. Sep 22, 01:58
That's roughly the line I'd side with. While I'd love to see work invested into station workers and the emergence of an economy around them, it touches too many core components, so I'd settle with extra random events giving weight to changes in faction control of the universe. I'd love to see a sudden coordinated attack of a sector, a real one rather than a fleet of merely three L ships jumping at point blank range of a station only to get destroyed quickly.

Artificial spawns leave me indifferent however. When a faction is going down and its economy no longer provides the necessary components to build, there's no comeback possible (other than a lengthy, grindy search for building missions, and that only if logistics aren't completely disrupted). On the other end it feels unfair in all other cases to disregard the logic of setting ship building orders & wares provisioning.

If anything, such things would really interest me to try to take away part of the incredibly heavy influence of the player on AIs' development. It all starts with making building wares available to them; then stations sprout everywhere in the local sector.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Younger

thijso

Post by thijso » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 11:42

If you look in the real world, quite a few big events happened because some idiot did something the rest of the world wasn't expecting.

Maybe have some pilots be stupid and get in a brawl with another faction and start shooting, escalating a war between factions out of nowhere? Something like that might be interesting. But to make it work, there would need to be some 'global affairs news' system to tell you about it. A bit like the random messages that 'X is mounting defence in sector Y', but a bit more random/detailed. Sort of like a newspaper.

Thinking more on it, and how annoying I find most of the 'announcements', and ignore them all the time, maybe not...

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 12:19

thijso wrote:
Sun, 25. Sep 22, 11:42
If you look in the real world, quite a few big events happened because some idiot did something the rest of the world wasn't expecting.

Maybe have some pilots be stupid and get in a brawl with another faction and start shooting
The game already has such a pilot. Usually referred to as "player". :roll:

... at least in my game ...
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 12:26

thijso wrote:

Maybe have some pilots be stupid and get in a brawl with another faction and start shooting, escalating a war between factions out of nowhere? Something like that might be interesting. But to make it work, there would need to be some 'global affairs news' system to tell you about it. A bit like the random messages that 'X is mounting defence in sector Y', but a bit more random/detailed. Sort of like a newspaper.

Thinking more on it, and how annoying I find most of the 'announcements', and ignore them all the time, maybe not...
This was the "norm" from XBTF until X3. Stopped in X3/TC. There were bulletins to read at the stations, but they did not have any intel to act on.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 13:50

dtpsprt wrote:
Sun, 25. Sep 22, 12:26
This was the "norm" from XBTF until X3. Stopped in X3/TC. There were bulletins to read at the stations, but they did not have any intel to act on.
Were there BBS before X2? Anyway, the "news" were indeed pre-created fluff, except perhaps GoD events in X3R.

Some of the current missions try to appear related to the state of galaxy, but that remains a thin veil. Far too often "food is required" is offered on sector that has fridges already stuffed full.

Game knows when it assigns an "invade" command to a fleet. It could generate mission offers related to that.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 14:57

There will always be a divide where some players like chaotic, random or Act-of-God events, while other players like predictability and continuity while managing their empire growth.

A minor and only vaguely related current gameplay example would be the lockboxes rigged for releasing tracker mines stored inside. Some like these for spicing up the game, while others hate them as being an unforeseen game-over event outside of their control.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

thijso

Post by thijso » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 16:40

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 25. Sep 22, 12:19
thijso wrote:

Maybe have some pilots be stupid and get in a brawl with another faction and start shooting
The game already has such a pilot. Usually referred to as "player". :roll:

... at least in my game ...
True.

Return to “X4: Foundations”