Constant Storage Hacking - Cant finish build - Resolved.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

molauhuru

Constant Storage Hacking - Cant finish build - Resolved.

Post by molauhuru » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 19:55

I am building a second defense station in The Void where the Xenon come out. I already have one defense station in front of the gate as well as a fleet with a battleship, several destroyers, etc. Any xenon that come through the gate are destroyed in seconds. However, the build storage is constantly getting hacked and spitting its wares into space. I have a freighter and two transporters constantly on collect drop and then transfer back to storage. But the hacking is constant, I can't do the pickup and transfer in time before its hacked again so the builder is eternally waiting for materials. Moreover, it seems like there is some loss of materials when things are hacked as I will have enough of, say, field coils but after hack, collect, transfer I am suddenly short 3 of them. So I am also micro managing two transports to run around and pick up a few extras here are there. But it won't end and I can't ever catch up.

Is this by design? Its not fun. I have been trying to get the last module built for an hour and I just cant. Is there a mod that stops hacking? Or is something else going on?

LameFox
x4

Re: Constant Storage Hacking - Cant finish build

Post by LameFox » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:15

I didn't know they even hack build storages, but if you like you can hang around it and personally annihilate the ships that are doing it. AI pilots are bad at catching pirates.

Constantly does sound a bit weird though. Normally they do it once, run away or die, and then you're ok until the next one comes. Build storages are vulnerable to gunfire, though. Things don't target them, but if you have ships there and Xenon come through and fight them, it may be hit accidentally and drop cargo. This would only matter if you were nearby and keeping it in high attention though.
***modified***

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:22

Don't think I've ever had my build storage hacked. One thing I guess you could do is transfer around 100 wares at a time so the items always go straight to building.

Yeah this doesn't normally happen, ever. Maybe try building somewhere else for the time being and come back in an hour or so. Doubt the pirates are there anymore.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:35

I echo that I have never personally seen a build storage hacked; I don't think there is a vanilla mechanism for even the player to do it. However, if there is such a mechanism in progress then you should be able to identify on the map which suspicious ships could be doing it.

What *might* instead be happening is that the build storage modules are being damaged by crossfire (perhaps from unfortunately sited turrets on the player station!) and the stores spilled into space that way, The player would have to be close by IS for that to happen though (I think).

Oh, thinking back, there was a case in a game of mine where the build storage was colliding with station structure (NPC station and build storage in that case). Perhaps that circumstance could be a source of constant/repeated damage and spillage whenever the player is close by IS?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

molauhuru

Post by molauhuru » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:53

LameFox wrote:
Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:15
I didn't know they even hack build storages, but if you like you can hang around it and personally annihilate the ships that are doing it. AI pilots are bad at catching pirates.
I have wondered if its possible, since nothing in my internet searches has turned up build storage hacking. But it was the only thing I could think of that would be causing it until...
Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:35
What *might* instead be happening is that the build storage modules are being damaged by crossfire (perhaps from unfortunately sited turrets on the player station!) and the stores spilled into space that way, The player would have to be close by IS for that to happen though (I think).
I have been sitting in the battleship next to the build storage to ensure turrets hit the little buggers. If crossfire causes storage drops when I am IS then I bet this is what's actually happening. Ill just go OOS, clean up the drops, and see if it continues to happen.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 20:54

Yes, they are really quite weak, turrets on a large ship would be plenty to take out the cargo crates.
***modified***

molauhuru

Post by molauhuru » Mon, 24. Jan 22, 00:12

Alan nailed it. Once I went OOS it stopped. Finally finished that station. Thanks all.

Return to “X4: Foundations”