Please allow us to fire construction ships mid build!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Please allow us to fire construction ships mid build!

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 15:58

I have hired a NPC construction ship to build a huge shipyard to fulfill the Duke's Buccaneers plot. I just checked, it has a suboptimal number of construction drones. It is taking an eternity to finish. I don't want to destroy the construction ship, or remove all the modules I placed in the plan build screen so that it leaves after finishing the next module. I just want to fire it. Why can't we fire construction ships that are in the middle of a build? Just have a new construction ship pick up where the old one left off mid build?

flywlyx
x4

Re: Please allow us to fire construction ships mid build!

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:15

You can board it to prevent rep loss or fire at it until it turns red.

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:24

flywlyx wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:15
and what if it is yours ship?
p.s. from big proposition:
dmk wrote:
Thu, 9. Dec 21, 05:03
9.3. station owner can stop/fire builder any time, npc should use this way if builder lost too many of his builder drones, or no trading drones left combined in builders and station.
to be fair you can force builder to leave now if you not providing ANY build resources long enough (1 hour or half an hour, not sure)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:47

flywlyx wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:15
This is exactly the sort of hack solution that I am not interested in doing.

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:05

dmk wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:24

and what if it is yours ship?
I think you can remove build command directly in behavior.
Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 16:47

This is exactly the sort of hack solution that I am not interested in doing.
You didn't destroy it and you fire (at) it. Sounds perfect to me.

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:17

flywlyx wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:05
I think you can remove build command directly in behavior.
it's critical, remember those types?

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:56

dmk wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:17
Right, Maybe you can sell it?

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 19:01

flywlyx wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:56
dmk wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 18:17
Right, Maybe you can sell it?
Stop giving devs excuses to not simply add the option to fire them in the middle of a build order!

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 19:46

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 19:01

Stop giving devs excuses to not simply add the option to fire them in the middle of a build order!
Nah, don't worry, If it is simple enough, they will add it, If it is complex, no matter how hard you complain, they will ignore.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 20:56

Have they ever explained why a 'critical' order cannot be cancelled? I remember I used to be able to do it sometimes by interacting with the pilot to get the chair myself, then remove the order while in control, and nothing terrible happened. And of course if the ship can die, or be boarded, then the game continues without any apparent catastrophic result even though the order was never carried out. In fact I've had ships die because they were trapped in this state! So why can't we get rid of the order?
***modified***

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 21:20

LameFox wrote:
Sat, 22. Jan 22, 20:56
So why can't we get rid of the order?
i do 100% support this, however, there are situations (which needs to be programmed):
1. dock/undock player should get control and vacate docking area or dock ship himself.
2. building (current topic) in case player's builder hired by other faction, player should pay fine for breaching contract (probably 10x times cost of hiring)
3. ware transfer - player loses wares or money of deal, and can lose drones (they can be outside and will be attempt to dock to player ship)
4. equipment change - player do lose money, and get cheapest equipment of two sets, or get not installed equipment at all if that possible (i.e. ship can fly that way),
or get damaged engines(cheapest of two sets) if they was replaced(ship still should be flyable with minimal travel drive), hull can be (left) damaged.

obviously (2,3,4) does not canceled automatically, when player takes control(same way as hen player fly ship manually without npc pilot at all and doing same actions), but in enter menu there should be way to abort them with described losses.

it seems devs just don't have time to program those situations, pity that currently player can abort only by destroying ship in question or facility in question.
as of 4.2 killing transport drones(for L/XL ship) in 3. would lead to ware exchange stuck.
p.s. it is mostly offtopic (for exception of player controlled builder), so if possible can this post and previous post moved to separate thread?

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 24. Jan 22, 11:44

LameFox wrote:
Have they ever explained why a 'critical' order cannot be cancelled? I remember I used to be able to do it sometimes by interacting with the pilot to get the chair myself, then remove the order while in control, and nothing terrible happened. And of course if the ship can die, or be boarded, then the game continues without any apparent catastrophic result even though the order was never carried out. In fact I've had ships die because they were trapped in this state! So why can't we get rid of the order?
Came to ask this. Have they ever explained why? They generally have good reasons for limitations like these. Though as we can see, there isn't anything obvious here.
dmk wrote:
Sun, 23. Jan 22, 21:20
LameFox wrote:
So why can't we get rid of the order?
i do 100% support this, however, there are situations (which needs to be programmed):
1. dock/undock player should get control and vacate docking area or dock ship himself.
2. building (current topic) in case player's builder hired by other faction, player should pay fine for breaching contract (probably 10x times cost of hiring)
3. ware transfer - player loses wares or money of deal, and can lose drones (they can be outside and will be attempt to dock to player ship)
4. equipment change - player do lose money, and get cheapest equipment of two sets, or get not installed equipment at all if that possible (i.e. ship can fly that way),
or get damaged engines(cheapest of two sets) if they was replaced(ship still should be flyable with minimal travel drive), hull can be (left) damaged.

obviously (2,3,4) does not canceled automatically, when player takes control(same way as hen player fly ship manually without npc pilot at all and doing same actions), but in enter menu there should be way to abort them with described losses.

it seems devs just don't have time to program those situations, pity that currently player can abort only by destroying ship in question or facility in question.
as of 4.2 killing transport drones(for L/XL ship) in 3. would lead to ware exchange stuck.
p.s. it is mostly offtopic (for exception of player controlled builder), so if possible can this post and previous post moved to separate thread?
1. I'm not sure what you mean, but I envision the order to not be instant, instead it'll complete the current module before it cancels. Like waiting for drones.
2. Well, factions rarely hire my CV from what I can see anyway. But they could always only pay after construction is complete. They should also scale better tbh, you don't really earn much.
3 and 4 I don't understand at all. What does that have to do with cancelling build orders?

Return to “X4: Foundations”