"Marooning Protection" options

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

"Marooning Protection" options

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 15:12

So with 5.0, I can now uncheck a couple boxes under global orders

One says "Your ships will wait for you before undocking if you are on the same ship or station". The other says "Your current ship will wait for you when the relief pilot takes over".

Awesome! I've now happily unchecked those boxes, so now when I take over from a ship temporarily, I don't have to worry about remembering to tell the pilot to proceed with current orders. Thanks for listening, Egosoft!

shovelmonkey
x4

Re: "Marooning Protection" options

Post by shovelmonkey » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 15:20

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 15:12
So with 5.0, I can now uncheck a couple boxes under global orders

One says "Your ships will wait for you before undocking if you are on the same ship or station". The other says "Your current ship will wait for you when the relief pilot takes over".

Awesome! I've now happily unchecked those boxes, so now when I take over from a ship temporarily, I don't have to worry about remembering to tell the pilot to proceed with current orders. Thanks for listening, Egosoft!
This was requested feature, great to see it implemented. One mod I can strike off the list.
“Not even once has life or the weather complained about a human being.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 18:33

I wonder how long it will be until a new player needs help because their ship left without them :gruebel: .

That said this feature will help save the time of more skilled players.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 18:51

Imperial Good wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 18:33
I wonder how long it will be until a new player needs help because their ship left without them :gruebel: .

That said this feature will help save the time of more skilled players.
As long as the default is wait. New players shouldn't be messing around too much with options anyway.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 19:04

Expect most of the problems will be in one of two broad cases:
1. Change the option, do something else for two to six months, then play again after having forgotten that the option was changed, or even exists. (Similar case with people having had issues with similarly persistent settings such as blacklists.)
2. Try the game with no or very little experience with it and follow all recommendations from one guide or other (or worse, a combination of various guides written while the game was in various states) without really understanding what you're doing yet.

Haven't figured out an effective catch-all solution for both that wouldn't be irritating yet.

shovelmonkey
x4

Post by shovelmonkey » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 19:16

j.harshaw wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 19:04
Haven't figured out an effective catch-all solution for both that wouldn't be irritating yet.
Perhaps instead of in global orders the setting should be under game settings behind an expert or advanced tag with some nice mouseover text warning of potential marooning? Newer player might be less likely to tinker with things there.

Just spitballing.
“Not even once has life or the weather complained about a human being.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 00:50

j.harshaw wrote:
that's why i did talking about removing Wait part from Fly&Dock orders(both from right click menu, and from order in queue/execution itself) for ships which default behavior is holding position...
(i.e. for ship with default behavior hold position in right click menu would be orders Fly;Dock, for ships with others default behaviors as usual Fly&Wait;Dock&Wait)
and asked to add hold orientation to hold position behavior.
(to be cautious not to break something hold orientation needed only in case player standup from seat, when queue is empty and obviously default behavior is hold position,
and ship in space (not on station), and while player does not enters(or teleported to) any other ship/station or out of sector,
alternatively slowly change orientation while player is nearby (i.e. process would take 5 minutes))
but realistically i don't know why hold orientation(in case of holding position) can cause any problems)

but CBJ got angry,
big thanx for "Your current ship will wait for you when the relief pilot takes over" option anyway...

p.s. in case ship assigned to superior(or have permanent behavior) i hope even player who does returns to game after some time would understand reason i.e. ship is doing his assigned job.
p.s.2. if for hold position ships in right click menu would be entries without WAIT, then if selected both ships with hold position and with other default behavior, then in right click menu would be all 4 orders fly;fly&wait;dock;dock&wait, and in queue for all selected ship would be added order selected by player, those 4 orders instead of two would be warning for player that he ordering strange things.
Last edited by dmk on Sat, 22. Jan 22, 07:30, edited 3 times in total.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 04:35

j.harshaw wrote:
Doing nothing about it and leaving it as is would have been the most irritating thing for me personally, for sure!

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 25. Jan 22, 10:16

j.harshaw wrote:
1. Change the option, do something else for two to six months, then play again after having forgotten that the option was changed, or even exists. (Similar case with people having had issues with similarly persistent settings such as blacklists.)
2. Try the game with no or very little experience with it and follow all recommendations from one guide or other (or worse, a combination of various guides written while the game was in various states) without really understanding what you're doing yet.

Why not add an additional option?
Separate them into assigned and unassigned ships.
That way ships assigned to stations or fleets can have a default of not waiting, while unassigned ships can have a default of wait.
For that matter you can also separate out ships with a "working" behavior, i.e. ones that aren't sit and wait and set it for them separately.
That way you can set it so that ships waiting for you are generally ships which by the time it matters are ships which hopefully be ships that aren't actively doing stuff.

Bonus option: A button to click so that you can set a "Do not wait" flag when you're on station which is wiped whenever you leave it either through teleport or undock.

j.harshaw
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT

Post by j.harshaw » Tue, 25. Jan 22, 11:44

Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jan 22, 10:16
That way ships assigned to stations or fleets can have a default of not waiting, while unassigned ships can have a default of wait.
Assigned ships don't. Not sure in which public release it went out, but haven't since January 2019.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Tue, 25. Jan 22, 12:18

j.harshaw wrote:
Tue, 25. Jan 22, 11:44
Raptor34 wrote:
Tue, 25. Jan 22, 10:16
Assigned ships don't. Not sure in which public release it went out, but haven't since January 2019.
Then imo it would be better to allow us to assign ships to fleets or something without the current game limitations. I.e. they are assigned but we can still mess around with them like in unassigned ships.
It doesn't even have to be a fleet as it currently is, perhaps just some other group-like thing without the expectations of fleets or factories.
That way it'll both help with ship bookkeeping and not clogging up the unassigned ship list. And also solve whatever issue with this waiting thing as we can just assign our ships to a group and whatever is unassigned can just wait as usual. Kill two birds with one stone and all that. Although I'll keep the option do select to wait or not per group, since one of those groups will probably be personal use ships which we want to wait around.

ZacKPloK
x4

Post by ZacKPloK » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:34

I think this new feature is generally nice, but needs some tuning. Have you tried getting in your space suit from a ship that has orders or a default behavior? Not much fun after the first time. :roll:

My suggestion would be, to keep marooning protection for ships you just left, either by docking at a station or leaving in your space suit. Only when you exit the station by other means or dock your space suit somewhere else, the hold command should be revoked and ship resume the last orders. At least this should be an additional option (on/off/soft). That way you could still grab some random vessel to get some blueprints or claim a vessel, without clearing all orders first.

Oh, and +1 for groups which are not fleets. Even if just to remove clutter, would be really nice to put all my Autominers in one group. No more need to rename them to "ZZ Autominer Something" so they get sorted on the bottom of the list.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 07:38

ZacKPloK wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 23:34
Oh, and +1 for groups which are not fleets. Even if just to remove clutter, would be really nice to put all my Autominers in one group. No more need to rename them to "ZZ Autominer Something" so they get sorted on the bottom of the list.
You can use mimic behavior command/behavior for that atm.
Set the leader to do auto mining and then assign the others to mimic.
Limitations is that they can only do one specific automine in one specific region, but it's better than nothing.

gorman2040
x4

Post by gorman2040 » Sun, 27. Feb 22, 23:22

j.harshaw wrote:

Be assured that some of us are really grateful for those new options!
But yes, I have been in that situation (making a blacklist and complaining something doesn't work without checking the blacklist first).
It seems like it is just our behavior with intricate things, we often forget the problem might be on our end and go for the other party :oops:

The flying tutorial should be mandatory for any new player and the instructor should say "if you think something doesn't work, take a deep breath and try to troubleshoot, if it still doesn't work after 10 minutes, take a break and come back at it later. 90% of the cases, you forgot something" :D
"Show me your wares!"
Specs: i5-12600K, 32GB DDR4-3200, 1TB NVMe, RTX2060 Super. Saitek X52. LG 4K TV.
X3 Reunion, X3 TC, X Rebirth and now X4, still shooting Xenon and charting the universe since 2006.

Wultan
x4

Post by Wultan » Mon, 28. Feb 22, 15:10

The new options are really wonderful. It has only one drawback.

When I step out of a ship into the spacesuit, the ship immediately follows its old order and flies away. This has the disadvantage that I am dragged along by the ship because I am still in the exit shaft.

Perhaps the ship should wait until I have moved away a little.

Return to “X4: Foundations”