Stuff I would like to do while sitting in non-captain chairs

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Stuff I would like to do while sitting in non-captain chairs

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 02:36

Yay for sitting! There are a few things I would love to be implemented:

1. Control individual turrets
2. Control individual drones
3. Activate the cargo collector to scoop up flotsam after battles (so as to not interrupt the NPC captain in their other tasks, and then wait for them to take the long walk back to the captain chair afterwards)

Is there anything else you would like to do in the non-captain chairs? I can't think of anything else right now.

Dreamora
x4

Re: Stuff I would like to do while sitting in non-captain chairs

Post by Dreamora » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 04:26

Funny enough in previous X games like X3 you could swap to turrets.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 06:46

Capital ships should have a large screen on the bridge so you can com the enemy on that, and they never "I'm not talking to you" when you use it, there should be extended dialogue options to insult them and damage their crew morale.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 07:05

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 02:36
Mandatory feature.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 08:50

Falcrack wrote:

3. Activate the cargo collector to scoop up flotsam after battles (so as to not interrupt the NPC captain in their other tasks, and then wait for them to take the long walk back to the captain chair afterwards)

Is there anything else you would like to do in the non-captain chairs? I can't think of anything else right now.
These are all great ideas, and these extra chairs should serve as space for taxi missions as well. It's annoying to be told I don't have enough room for a passenger when I'm straight-up staring RIGHT AT an empty freaking chair.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 10:26

Actually point 3 is a very good idea because if you teleport to an employed ship and take control just to use its loot magnet on a nice nearby drop field and then teleport away again, the ship is left 'waiting for signal' and not doing its normal behaviour.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 10:52

Excellent choices BUT:
1. Was an existing future in X3 therefore is a no go!!!
2. Was an existing future in X Rebirth so I'm not so sure it's a no go or something Egosoft did not consider interesting (or basic for this matter) so I would not hold my breath for it's implementation.
3. Might provoke the ire of the part of the players that seem to think lots of wasted time and opportunities is a major part of the game
Good luck with your wishlist anyway....

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 10:54

builder680 wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 08:50
Falcrack wrote:

These are all great ideas, and these extra chairs should serve as space for taxi missions as well. It's annoying to be told I don't have enough room for a passenger when I'm straight-up staring RIGHT AT an empty freaking chair.
Actually the empty chairs should be filled with existing personnel truth be told...

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 14:43

Now that I have actually downloaded the beta and started it up, I see when going to one of these non captain chairs that different stations have different names. For example, in a Drill, it says "Access Gunnery Control" when I hover the mouse over the seat. On a Raptor, the different stations are all named something different, like "Access Engineering Console", "Access Gunnery Control", "Access Flight Control", and "Access Navigation Console". Another one I saw on an Odysseus was "Access Comms Console". So I assume they have other functions as a planned feature, but they are not fully implemented yet. I also assume that is why nothing about sitting down is listed in the patch notes, because it is not a completed feature yet. Great!

I hope one of those seats could be named something like "Access Drone Control", I haven't seen that yet.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 15:26

I dont care about controlling turrets, but I would love to be able to control drone via a VR/AR kind of function (like in Rebirth), along with adding more types of drones of course. One for scanning convieniently, one thats better at combat, etc.
Access to cargo scoop is a great idea too.

One request in general, let us activate SETA while in the seats please.

Calling a seat 'engineering' is immensely provocative, makes me wonder if the plan is to let us control repairs or something. Now that would be immense. Anything to make capital ships much tougher, survivable and unpredictable would be a huge boon (if npcs can do it too, and if crew skill matters, and maybe bring back defence officers and engineer crewmen too :) ).

Berhg
x4

Post by Berhg » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 07:32

A (hopefully) simple thing I would find satisfying is to go directly to aspects of the interface when sitting at a console. For instance, navigation takes you directly to the map, and weapons takes you directly to loadout.
Save the bunnies! RTFM

[ external image ]

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 08:04

Axeface wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 15:26
...I would love to be able to control drone via a VR/AR kind of function (like in Rebirth), along with adding more types of drones of course. One for scanning convieniently, one thats better at combat, etc...

...let us activate SETA while in the seats please...
Manual controlling drones are mandatory! Why EGO leave it in Rebirth? Why we don`t have alternative to spacesuit for attack enemy, sabotaging with bombs and hacks or just repair crippled engine of our battleship?
I`d like to have option for hacking enemy station for docking permission.
SETA availability for each new seats also useful.
Axeface wrote:
...Calling a seat 'engineering' is immensely provocative, makes me wonder if the plan is to let us control repairs or something....
Yes! Manual repair priorities will be great!

Gunnery control may give access to set targets for each turret separately.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 10:01

I think you guys miss a very improtant thing.

As it is, control of a turret or drone would simply not be fun at all!

How do you see it?
Medium turret power is below single front fighter gun - imagine fighting in one-gun fighter, but your gun is weaker and you cannot move. You can take out scout, but it can outrun your turret and anything that cannot outrun can easily tank you turret dammage output.

Large turret are a bit better, but you won't be able to hit small targets, so you're limited to sniping against stations or capships.

Drones? You only have a single combat crone without shield and single pulse laser. It's bizzare, but X-Rebirth at least had a handful of drone types to control.

Before we get control, the turret and drone depth of gameplay should be increased.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 12:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Jan 22, 10:01
I think you guys miss a very improtant thing.
As it is, control of a turret or drone would simply not be fun at all!
Plenty of things "aren't fun" but they add depth.

Turret control would come with targeting control so you can set the attack my target command and make the turrets follow your smarter focus firing.

Drones are as fun as any fighter, more nimble, more disposable.

Neither are particularly hard features to add.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 12:46

Drone flight would be for me like flying handicapped, shieldless Elite.
Not my definition of fun.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 13:20

Most shots miss them.
Add that they are in close proximity to their mothership or station so can use it for cover (even a Nemesis can hide amongst Teladi destroyer fins, AI isn't smart enough to select better attack angles).

Plus when it dies or near death or out of the action you just toggle to the next drone.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 14:16

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 27. Jan 22, 10:01
Drones? You only have a single combat crone without shield and single pulse laser. It's bizzare, but X-Rebirth at least had a handful of drone types to control.
With ability to control drones, should be add advanced versions of drones: combat with more powerful imp.laser mk2; sabotaging drone with mines; hack drone... etc.
In Rebirth it already exist - no need mind storm.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 02:56

Axeface wrote:
I dont care about controlling turrets, but I would love to be able to control drone via a VR/AR kind of function (like in Rebirth), along with adding more types of drones of course. One for scanning convieniently, one thats better at combat, etc.
Access to cargo scoop is a great idea too.

One request in general, let us activate SETA while in the seats please.

Calling a seat 'engineering' is immensely provocative, makes me wonder if the plan is to let us control repairs or something. Now that would be immense. Anything to make capital ships much tougher, survivable and unpredictable would be a huge boon (if npcs can do it too, and if crew skill matters, and maybe bring back defence officers and engineer crewmen too :) ).
The engineering console could , perhaps, allow the player to prioritize which modules get repaired first.

Return to “X4: Foundations”