X4 - 5.0 update: AMD FSR

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Dreamora
x4

X4 - 5.0 update: AMD FSR

Post by Dreamora » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 21:02

I wanted to say that Egosoft has hit a massive win on this one. I have seen FSR introduced in other games with little to no effect and I had really started to discount the realistic power of FSR. However, Egosoft's implementation of FSR is truly great.

When enabling FSR on ultra settings and ultra graphics, I am getting solid FPS and the game looks amazing... and this is INSIDE a docking pad walking around on foot. I have NEVER since the release of this game on my 2080 super been able to get fluid FPS while walking around in a station even on medium or high graphics.

Cudos to you Egosoft for this amazing implementation of FSR.

P.S. I am still pissed about the exploding cap ships.

dougeye
x3tc

Re: X4 - 5.0 update: AMD FSR

Post by dougeye » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 22:06

Yeah must say even my 3080 at 4k is looking much better with fsr on and fxaa on high and ssr on high.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 22:39

Yeah, even with "ultra quality" settings I'm getting a lot of FPS in 4K UHD out of this. For my rig* it's about 20fps - no matter if on stations, bridges, open space. Partially fps doubles (open space 60 fps -> 120 fps)

Nicely done :)

---
*i7 9700K; 32 GB; 3060 RTX 12 GB

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 06:28

still a bit disappointed not seeing DLSS
but still it's a massive improvement to be honest at so short notice.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Maebius

Post by Maebius » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 10:52

Curious about this change and anxious to test it!
I've always thought just "getting up from your seat" gives a substantial performance hit, wondering how it works on my 1080ti!

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 12:36

abisha1980 wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 06:28
DLSS is only supported by RTX20/30 and requires Nvidia to implement it for Vulkan.
FSR does the job on any GPU supporting DX11 and Vulkan and works on Linux too! And ofc works on Steam Deck.

So many no sense as an investment.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 14:04

DLSS is also often higher quality than FSR since AI can add additional detail that purely algorithms cannot.

That said XeSS will be an open source DLSS competitor that does also use AI. Of course due to using AI it will require that the GPU have reasonable AI acceleration performance so it should perform well on both Intel and Nvidia GPUs but I am not sure about AMD as they do not try to push AI performance as a selling feature.

MPX10L
x4

Post by MPX10L » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 16:12

A giant THANK YOU from me! :)
Egosofts FSR-implementation is awesome for low-end gamers!
The main benefit being that UI and render-resolution are finally decoupled. The usability of the UI suffered quite a lot when setting the game to 720p.
But now I can just put it on 1080p or 900p with FSR performance or balanced which makes the game so much more usable for me!

This way my 840m runs at only 50-70% utilization (limited at 30fps) which means that my CPU (i7-5500u) has enough thermal headroom to permanently run both cores at its 2.9GHz boost clock.
So FSR helped reduce my CPU bottleneck. (Sadly still drops below 10fps when new assets need to be loaded in ... and the map is pretty slow to at 15fps ... but for playstyles other than "fight" it is manageable.)

I think the fact that X4 runs on this kind of hardware (and therefore basically any modern APU, I guess) is awesome and deserves some credit!

The scaling quality looks fine as well ... for FSR at low resolutions.
Of course there is a lot of shimmering. It would be awesome if Egosoft could implement a temporal solution for anti-aliasing to combat this. :)

I wonder if they'll try to implement XeSS.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 16:23

Panos wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 12:36
abisha1980 wrote:
DLSS is only supported by RTX20/30 and requires Nvidia to implement it for Vulkan.
FSR does the job on any GPU supporting DX11 and Vulkan and works on Linux too! And ofc works on Steam Deck.

DLSS is no problem for Vulkan it's not new or anything.
also DLSS just works better and give better quality when i start 4X i instant see shadow artifacts do to algorithms

also i think i have a problem with NIS, need to check which is better.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 20:22

abisha1980 wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 16:23
Panos wrote:
abisha1980 wrote:

also DLSS just works better and give better quality when i start 4X i instant see shadow artifacts do to algorithms

You ingore completely the fact that DLSS works on a small amount of expensice GPUs (RTX20/30) and FSR works on ALL the GPUs and APUs, different OS (including Mac, Linux, BSD) and devices like Steam Deck.

As a company makes more sense to use FSR instead of DLSS since you do the investment in manhours once and you cover all the player base for exactly the same result.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 20:30

Panos wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 20:22
abisha1980 wrote:
Panos wrote:

You ingore completely the fact that DLSS works on a small amount of expensice GPUs (RTX20/30) and FSR works on ALL the GPUs and APUs, different OS (including Mac, Linux, BSD) and devices like Steam Deck.

As a company makes more sense to use FSR instead of DLSS since you do the investment in manhours once and you cover all the player base for exactly the same result.
yea it's fine now works better then expected i used restore settings on my control panel and it works
I can see now why people really like FSR

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 23:24

Panos wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 20:22
abisha1980 wrote:
Panos wrote:

Well, I agree if you would have to choose. Luckily, they are not mutually exclusive. X4 is still in dire need of a more modern solution to aliasing. AMD FSR is surely not the solution to that, but DLSS could be for those of us using RTX cards.

But combining AMD FSR with the newly released Nvidia DLDSR does give an improved image at a reasonable performance cost. Although it seems a tad stupid to both downscale and upscale at the same time...
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Return to “X4: Foundations”