Suggestion for improvement of build mode regarding deconstruction

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

What do you think?

Yes
69%
Yes (but have a better idea)
No votes
Fine the way it is
15%
Reveal the poll
15%

Total votes: 13

gorgofdoom
x4

Suggestion for improvement of build mode regarding deconstruction

Post by gorgofdoom » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 06:41

Deconstructing a module that has a ship docked results in the destruction of that ship-- and the death of the crew.

It seems reasonable for there to be some prevention before performing an action that will unintuitively result in millions in property destruction and death/loss of our employees. :lol:

I think a simple warning would suffice but may be more intuitive to prevent the deconstruction from proceeding until there are no longer any ships docked; perhaps extending to automatically undocking all relevant vessels.

With respect, Gorgofdoom

dougeye
x3tc

Re: Suggestion for improvement of build mode regarding deconstruction

Post by dougeye » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 11:53

Ha i did exactly the same thing the other night! i had a placeholded pier on the plot and parked both my experience construction vessels at it ready to complete the station. Built up the station which took me several hours being a mega complex, saved the changes and boom no more construction vessels which was quite annoying! fortunatley it was easier to buy another at this point than re design the mega complex.
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Tue, 18. Jan 22, 00:12

I do think ships should undock from deconstructing stations.

I also think ships should start undocking from stations about to explode (although obviously since that's not a scheduled activity, it should be a hurried exodus with a fair chance of blowing up anyway).

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Wed, 19. Jan 22, 14:58

adeine wrote:
Tue, 18. Jan 22, 00:12
I also think ships should start undocking from stations about to explode
Right. I already can imagine civilian missions "Help my family escape from deconstructed station!" where you need to dock at the station, find all family members, tell em go to your ship and transport them to safe station. Currently that must be done amazingly fast :)
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Techedge
x4

Post by Techedge » Wed, 19. Jan 22, 20:29

adeine wrote:
Tue, 18. Jan 22, 00:12
I do think ships should undock from deconstructing stations.

I also think ships should start undocking from stations about to explode (although obviously since that's not a scheduled activity, it should be a hurried exodus with a fair chance of blowing up anyway).
Ships should undock from deconstructing stations since the actual situation is a nonsense and immersion breaking. Plus I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to implement a check, say, from 1% to 0%, then issue an order to all ships to undock before allowing the station to disappear (going to 0%). Maybe blocking any other command to avoid issuing contrasting orders (e.g. canceling deconstruction) during the process.

Undocking from stations about to explode, in the other hand, could lead to arbitrary (or worse, dice-rolling/random) actions to take place to make them undock (e.g. from which moment should the ships start to undock? And to do what? And what if the station repels the attack and starts repairing? Should the ship dock again and restart its order queue? From which?). Too much fuss for a "normal" situation, some people die during war (civilians more than often).

Return to “X4: Foundations”