AI boarding, yay or nay?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Insects
x4

Re: AI boarding, yay or nay?

Post by Insects » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 02:24

grapedog wrote:
Mon, 17. Jan 22, 02:18
So will the AI then go through the process of trying to take out all the turrets and engines, without overall destroying the players ship? and once stripped of all hardpoints, and sitting dead in space, then launch marines. I don't see that happening....
Why would it need to happen?
Mostly just about if you run half a crew of marines the AI will fail, less than half if you have ranked up marines.

It's just silly right now that player ships can run with zero crew because they have zero threat of boarding.

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 07:08

I'm in favor of AI capturing and plundering the player's ships by boarding. This is believable, which means more immersion in the game. You also need to remove the universalism of the team.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 07:58

I love the idea of player ships being put at risk of capture, but as has been said elsewhere, much improvement needs to be considered around boarding and the skill level of crew, marines and service...

There would need to be improvements in responses, including an immediate urgent message to the player and every asset in their empire from the captain of the player ship being boarded, with military-capable vessels responding. - I think it would need to be a 'reasonably' rare occurrence, and perhaps only in less secure sectors.

I think it essential that a successful pirate capture should leave the player with the ability to scan and locate their captured ship with the possibility of recovering it if they can find it.

I think marines on any player vessel should very slowly level by default as their start ability is non-existent, and capture would be all-but automatic. Perhaps they should have the chance of skilling during non-boarding military engagements too.

My fear would be that complicating the boarding system would mean the playing community going through a very long period of pain as it is tweaked. - On the surface, it would appear a lot more complicated than mining, and we know how that went awry for quite some time. And I guess there's only so many processor clock cycles that can be expended on this.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

budforceuk
x4

Post by budforceuk » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 09:54

Yes but not Xenon ar Khaak.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 20:27

budforceuk wrote:
Mon, 17. Jan 22, 09:54
Yes but not Xenon ar Khaak.
Being boarded by the Kha'ak would be amazing. "Quick, where's the bugspray?!"

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 23:21

Insects wrote:
Mon, 17. Jan 22, 01:45
But then it takes even more micro management to avoid sending your high level service crew into combat and wasting them.
It would show the effective skill for boarding when configuring the boarding operation. If the player is foolish enough to send low skilled boarding crew which turn out to be high skilled service crew then that is entirely on them. On the other hand high skilled service crew would have some boarding capabilities due to their high morale. Additional options could include to retrain the highest skilled service crew, taking the lowest skilled service crew first, bottom to top, style when choosing people for a boarding operation.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 06:04

Marines can have high service skill too, eg if you send them to Builders for the fast morale boost.

So overall I think the Marines/Service slider does a better job of keeping them sorted and combining the slider would only make the interface harder not cleaner.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
x4

Post by ZaphodBeeblebrox » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 09:54

NAY

Having done an inordinate amount of boarding, I can't see NPC boarding ops ever succeeding.
Having watched the laughable, pathetic and sometimes unbelievable behaviour of ships under my command during boarding.
Which only leads to rising anger and then despair.

When NPCs can take down turrets, engines then shields, then launch marines on target, with the pods not taking forever to get to the target.

Then maybe, just maybe they can do boarding properly.

But I will have to see this happen first.
It was a woman who drove me to drink... you know I never went back and thanked her.

Don't try to outweird me, three-eyes. I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 10:54

... and remember: when NPC boards your Asgard without damaging any elements, you will not be angry and will not modify their reputation ... :pirat:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 13:25

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 20. Jan 22, 10:54
... and remember: when NPC boards your Asgard without damaging any elements, you will not be angry and will not modify their reputation ... :pirat:
well if you damage ship, and destroy surface elements while boarding(i.e. when fighting inside ship is going on), then you getting up to 90% boost on boarding speed, and efficiency (i.e. less loss for your troops(10 times faster, and 10 times less losses) ), so it is enough to keep 100 veterans on the Asgard to make it very hard to board without damage.

DarkTemplar
x3tc

Post by DarkTemplar » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 17:57

Insects wrote:
Mon, 17. Jan 22, 02:24
grapedog wrote:
Mon, 17. Jan 22, 02:18
So will the AI then go through the process of trying to take out all the turrets and engines, without overall destroying the players ship? and once stripped of all hardpoints, and sitting dead in space, then launch marines. I don't see that happening....
Why would it need to happen?
Mostly just about if you run half a crew of marines the AI will fail, less than half if you have ranked up marines.

It's just silly right now that player ships can run with zero crew because they have zero threat of boarding.
Players actually need to invest resources, and train crew. The Ai doesn't.

Return to “X4: Foundations”