Pilots can lose skills?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dougeye
x3tc

Pilots can lose skills?

Post by dougeye » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 11:07

Am i right or is this a bug or am i going balmy.

I have had 20 Autotraders @ 3 star operating for weeks in my game no problem. all had the autotrade option and all worked great bringing in the credits.

But today idecided to try and tidy my property list by consolidating the traders into a mimic commander fleet for autotrade.

Half of them worked fine but the other half could not mimic the commander so i checked thier stats and they now only had 2.5 stars.

SO i removed them from the fleet and tried to setr their behaviour to autotrade individually but the option is now greyed out again!

Just glad my factory network is bringing in the credits now!
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

jlehtone
x4

Re: Pilots can lose skills?

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 11:22

dougeye wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 11:07
i checked thier stats and they now only had 2.5 stars.
Which stat?

All three professions (captain, service crew, marine) have the effective skill as base skill modified by morale. It was stated early on that morale can go up and down. (But I haven't read every release notes since then.)

The captain ability is pilot skill modified by morale. Was it the effective skill or the base skill that is under 3 and what is the morale of those pilots?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 12:19

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 11:22
dougeye wrote:
i checked thier stats and they now only had 2.5 stars.
Which stat?

All three professions (captain, service crew, marine) have the effective skill as base skill modified by morale. It was stated early on that morale can go up and down. (But I haven't read every release notes since then.)

The captain ability is pilot skill modified by morale. Was it the effective skill or the base skill that is under 3 and what is the morale of those pilots?
pilot skill specifically, not including other skill averages. They had to have 3 stars in piloting to start autotrade initially!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 12:21

I think morale is the only stat that can be lost for some reason.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 12:34

dougeye wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 12:19
They had to have 3 stars in piloting to start autotrade initially!
No. They had to have 3 stars in effective skill, AFAIK. A 2.7 star pilot with high morale has that. (Granted, that is not a common combo.)

I'm quite sure that I've seen a 3 star pilot skill, who could not autotrade because she was "scared".
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 12:58

dougeye wrote:
I have had 20 Autotraders @ 3 star operating for weeks in my game no problem. all had the autotrade option and all worked great bringing in the credits.
Have a look at their logs. Were they busy doing profitable trades or were they idling most of time? I suspect the market got saturated and your pilots lost morale because there was nothing to do.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 14:17

TheDeliveryMan wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 12:58
dougeye wrote:
Have a look at their logs. Were they busy doing profitable trades or were they idling most of time? I suspect the market got saturated and your pilots lost morale because there was nothing to do.
It could be then that i transfered them from my carrier fleet as fighter pilots and made them autotraders immediately so their mroale dropped over time when trading?

Zalzany
x4

Post by Zalzany » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 21:00

Way I understand it moral is factor in "effective" pilot skill same with managers and marines, you can be 5 star skill and have half a star moral and see a penalty on your employee. And yes moral goes down from them losing battles, running away, surrendering cargo, as well as doing bad deals. So a trader or miner who is losing money on a bad trade will have his moral lowered. best way to look at moral is confidence, more success they have more moral goes up which does effect a lot of things they do, because they are more confident in their actions and decisions. More it screws up or ends up over its head worse the captain or whatever moral drops as they no longer feel safe or confident doing tasks now.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 22:20

I think Morale should just keep going up as time passes. The skills already level up so slow and you're bound to lose people constantly. It's a really unnecessary feature that Morale fluctuates. Really random place to suddenly design "realism" for the game.

Why not have your crew age too and start losing piloting skills as well. If you give them pension funds then they lose Morale slower. And if they can't afford Obamacare then they lose Morale even faster. Am I hired Egosoft?

So many conflicting design philosophies going on in this game. Really not cohesive at all.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 03:51

SirConnery wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 22:20
I think Morale should just keep going up as time passes. The skills already level up so slow and you're bound to lose people constantly. It's a really unnecessary feature that Morale fluctuates. Really random place to suddenly design "realism" for the game.

Why not have your crew age too and start losing piloting skills as well. If you give them pension funds then they lose Morale slower. And if they can't afford Obamacare then they lose Morale even faster. Am I hired Egosoft?

So many conflicting design philosophies going on in this game. Really not cohesive at all.
+1 just for the laugh. And for being spot-on accurate.
:lol:

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 16. Jan 22, 12:17

They can loose morale when they fail a trade. Had that issue a lot with my smuggler ships - every time they got discovered and could not finish the trade they lost some skills eventually turning all my pilots to 2 stars. Then they would just sit there silently without any warning.
Think this also happens when they fail the trade for other reasons, like target damaged causing offer to vanish or obeying pirate harassment.
Or when the endless chase to sell 2 hull parts to an aux ship fails. I sometimes kill all foreign aux ships near my stations so ATs assigned to supply them do not fall for this.

Pretty weird mechanic, loosing skill that they will never gain back in their role. You can fix morale by reassigning them as service crew for ex on a construction vessel with enough build tasks with some additional UI clicky and time.
I just don't use ATs any more due to this, cargo utilisation and their strange prios that seem to include distance in trade selection.

Repeat orders need a bit more knowledge of the market but i find that way more effective in any case except when using ATs for fire and forget low income generation (but there are much better ways to get cash imo).
Just wish it had a min cargo amount on sell orders - never ever use the setting to leave stuff in the cargo bay. The other way around it could be useful though.

Return to “X4: Foundations”