Video: Testing "coordinate attack" so you don't have to...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Video: Testing "coordinate attack" so you don't have to...

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 15:36

Yeah, something's clearly gone wrong there. Where was the massed suicide wave of unarmed M freighters full of missile parts from your carrier and/or auxiliary? At least that's what happened on the one (& so far only) time I tried coordinate attack.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 15:51

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 15:36
Yeah, something's clearly gone wrong there. Where was the massed suicide wave of unarmed M freighters full of missile parts from your carrier and/or auxiliary? At least that's what happened on the one (& so far only) time I tried coordinate attack.
This is where you Expediter mods would have come in handy :) I can't imagine having to deal with this with an Argon fleet and just Behemoths :o And another thing...xenon should not bother with defence stations...just put one of these bad boys at the gate and be done with :mrgreen:

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 15:53

Probably best conclusions from this suggest this tactic:
1. use ships as moveable plasma platform (PAR is better due to its range)
2. uncheck autorelease for the attack trigger
3. set aggression level to move them into plasmas range

Pros:
- all left alive

Cons:
- no main weapon fire, somewhat lower damage, attack will last longer
- does not work against stations equipped with PAR plasmas in defense %)
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 16:06

Ragnos28 wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 15:51
This is where you Expediter mods would have come in handy :) I can't imagine having to deal with this with an Argon fleet and just Behemoths :o And another thing...xenon should not bother with defence stations...just put one of these bad boys at the gate and be done with :mrgreen:
That's often the sort of target I need to destroy to get my Expediters - I start with anti-Xenon missions (because short range L turrets) & only start doing ARG V HOP (etc) station demolition jobs once those Expediters are installed. Xenon SPP's can be quite tricky simply due to how expansive they are - fair chunk of range advantage is lost just because of the distance between the outer modules & the centre. Frankly would prefer Behemoths (even unmodified) in that scenario - the extra 1½km or so of range advantage can be significant against such targets.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 17:28

My biggest pain with "coordinated attack" if the "f*ck all, everyone attack" strategy.

Coordiante attack ignores that some ships in fleet have "intercept" and "defend" assignments and basically takes entire fleet to attack.
This cause a major losses among ships that I specifically DONT want to be in the front line.

IMO only fleet leader and ships with "AttacK" assignment should participate in coordinated attack.
Ships with "intercept" and "defend" should ignore it and continue with their assignments!

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 20:30

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 15:36
Just like the "Board" command does?

Does the order have some options/tunables? (Thought I saw something like that in some old thread.)

Sorry, I was rooting for the Station. So sad it was missing so many shots. Reminds the time I had Raptor touching Xenon Station and both sides failed to hit. Good old 3.xx days. 8)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Ragnos28
x4

Post by Ragnos28 » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 20:57

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 20:30
Sorry, I was rooting for the Station. So sad it was missing so many shots. Reminds the time I had Raptor touching Xenon Station and both sides failed to hit. Good old 3.xx days. 8)
It is a really good design :roll: I would like to duplicate it in own my defence stations, a center and defence modules far apart from it. :gruebel: But that won't work because unlike our destroyers that target the "center", the xenon capitals target the actual defence modules..can I have Xenon AI for my destroyers? 8)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 22:32

jlehtone wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 20:30
Just like the "Board" command does?
Don't know. Never ran into that particular issue myself with the board command, however I never gave the board command at fleet level. Instead, when boarding with a fleet, would always ctrl-select an appropriate number of M class dropships for the operation, along with a bunch of fighters to strip subsystems, so there were never any superfluous ships in the selection. I take it from your question that if a fleet as a whole is given the board command it gets a bit messy? Unfortunately can't do a similar thing with coordinate attack order. Looks to be only available as an order which can be given to fleet command ships & as such until it starts respecting assigned roles for subordinates & launched/docked status it's pretty much useless to me.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 23:05

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 22:32
Never ran into that particular issue myself with the board command, however I never gave the board command at fleet level. Instead, when boarding with a fleet, would always ctrl-select an appropriate number of M class dropships for the operation, along with a bunch of fighters to strip subsystems, so there were never any superfluous ships in the selection. I take it from your question that if a fleet as a whole is given the board command it gets a bit messy?
Yes. I, too, tend to select the M Squadron but had just one of those behind enemy lines situations where I told the service crew of my big fish to walk like marines to something red and yes, her interceptor wing -- under "Stay Docked and relax" orders -- just had to prep launch. Knew it to happen, so paused, selected them, and did the Jedi "there are no orders for you" wave before they actually got off the pads.

Yes, both Board and Coordinated Attack are apparently unfiltered broadcasts to entire fleet.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 00:30

Destroyers covered in PAR plasma turrets, attack all.
Fly scout to place an array of nav beacons 8km from station at good positions (helps a lot when station off plane and to attack station centrally from above rather than edges, rather than trying to drag arrows).
Fly and wait to beacons.
Park an anti-air destroyer in the flight path of S and when the build storage appears.
Ignore while the turrets chip away at it.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 09:11

Yes, but the illusion of fleet command is that it will take care of all the micromanagement for you. It seems that we have to micromanage the fleet command, or not use it at all.

Back in 3.xx I did fly scout around Xenon stations to prepare for assault. The name of scout was Rattlesnake and I did not drop beacons, but shot every last turret and shield element from the station.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 15:48

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 17:28
My biggest pain with "coordinated attack" if the "f*ck all, everyone attack" strategy.

Coordiante attack ignores that some ships in fleet have "intercept" and "defend" assignments and basically takes entire fleet to attack.
This cause a major losses among ships that I specifically DONT want to be in the front line.

IMO only fleet leader and ships with "AttacK" assignment should participate in coordinated attack.
Ships with "intercept" and "defend" should ignore it and continue with their assignments!
+1 on this, I don't want all my interceptors suiciding themselves against the station.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 17:48

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 12. Jan 22, 15:48
+1 on this, I don't want all my interceptors suiciding themselves against the station.
I reported this in Technical issues, but Egosoft seems to ignore it:
viewtopic.php?f=180&t=441268

Return to “X4: Foundations”