[Video] Yaki katana vs universe & plea to ES

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

[Video] Yaki katana vs universe & plea to ES

Post by pref » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 03:00

Was trying to have some fun with the cover mechanics. Really like X4 no FA mode, fight feels so much better - hope it comes across the vid.
New terran shields are quite nice for the constant boost flashes needed for this.

Had two issues though, one huge another is just very annoying.
- If there was a one-click way to target nearest turret in LOS to crosshair it would improve fight experience significantly. Think the vid shows that like 70% of the time is wasted on desperate attempts at target selection. It's just as bad with FA on ime. Really turns an otherwise lovely experience into lots of struggling with controls and some occasional nice moments.
- It would be great if the cover was reliable. There are times when it breaks every 2nd target i hit without any nearby yaki assets or wrecks. Also some damage tolerance would be nice before it breaks (and when yaki hit me accidentally it shouldn't trigger at all) - after all there is a fat chance one will use it near Yakis.

https://youtu.be/Qx3G-McsIgQ

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Re: [Video] Yaki katana vs universe & plea to ES

Post by euclid » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 12:46

NIce flying and shooting there, pref :-) Also very brave to keep fighting with a paper hull :p

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 18:15

pref wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 03:00
- It would be great if the cover was reliable. There are times when it breaks every 2nd target i hit without any nearby yaki assets or wrecks. Also some damage tolerance would be nice before it breaks (and when yaki hit me accidentally it shouldn't trigger at all) - after all there is a fat chance one will use it near Yakis.
I really hope that with the next chapter (Tides of Avarice) they'll change the cover mechanic from an automated system to a manually controlled one when the player is flying the ship, like being able to activate/deactivate it, selecting the faction to disguise at, etc. This could add many opportunities for interacting with pirate factions (having to earn faction disguises through mission/reputation/money, having to install cover software on thhe ship at pirate bases, cover software being illegal in commonwealth space, etc).

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 12:21

How can I get Katana with the "cover" mode?..
Can I get yet another ship with the mode?...
Thank you!
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Waltz9

Post by Waltz9 » Tue, 11. Jan 22, 13:40

af_2017 wrote:
Tue, 11. Jan 22, 12:21
How can I get Katana with the "cover" mode?..
Can I get yet another ship with the mode?...
Thank you!
Spoiler
Show
when you get the Moreya from the Yaki plot line, bring it to terran secret service and not to boso ta.
Then you will receive the katana with the cover.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 11:12

euclid wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 12:46
NIce flying and shooting there, pref :-) Also very brave to keep fighting with a paper hull :p

Cheers Euclid
Hah you watched it for that long?

pref
x4

Post by pref » Wed, 12. Jan 22, 11:23

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 18:15
change the cover mechanic from an automated system to a manually controlled one when the player is flying the ship
If player can turn it off that allows for exploits i think.
You could attack anyone and make them friendly with a button click - sounds a bit cheesy. Also damage/kill yaki assets in friendly mode is problematic.
Proximity to yaki/xen is probably better in the sense that it heavily limits availability reducing possibility for any non obvious balancing problems, and also one has to either maintain cover or flee from the situation and not just flip FF settings for AI.

It should just work and not deactivate constantly.
Think that might have to do something the command hierarchy.

Return to “X4: Foundations”