"I'll wait for you to undock" is a major problem - Option in a future build.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tsathogguah

"I'll wait for you to undock" is a major problem - Option in a future build.

Post by tsathogguah » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 19:53

If you happen to visit a station while some of your AI ships happened to be docked there, there is a good chance one of more of them will say "I'll wait for you to tell me to undock". I guess this is meant so that you don't get left behind in early game, but late game it can be a mess. They will literally stay there forever until you find them and tell them to "proceed with current order." At some point you will have hundreds of ships associated with different stations and fleets and it can be very hard to find the ones that are waiting for you to tell them to continue their order.

I've had dozens of ships have this happen to them before I realized what was going on (they don't all tell you on comms that they are doing it).

Is there any way to disable this "feature"?

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: "I'll wait for you to undock" is a major problem

Post by Tomonor » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 20:24

What are the circumstances here?

For me, this only happens when I'm actively around one of my ships that has active orders. You normally should have a primary "playership" around without active orders.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 20:38

repatomonor wrote:
Sun, 9. Jan 22, 20:24
What are the circumstances here?

For me, this only happens when I'm actively around one of my ships that has active orders. You normally should have a primary "playership" around without active orders.
Probably he has unlocked teleportation and does not expect to need a personal taxi hanging around anymore. This has annoyed me in the past for similar reasons. I think Egosoft overestimates how much the player needs saving from their own ability to issue orders—it causes more extra hassle for me than it has ever solved.
***modified***

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 20:56

my opinion "wait for signal" (and so message in title of thread) should be remove from game,
there is default behavior hold position, and it also should hold orientation(so no problem getting out with spacesuit),
that's it.
in other cases such as repair in AUX ship wait for signal is buggy (compared to paired transfer ware command) because don't set to specific ship,
so it happens to be applied to wrong ship if there are several to be processes at some time,
maradeurs could scan for wares from other side of sector,
why police can't?

p.s. after teleporting from ship i wasting my time removing "wait for signal" order from queue, in extreme cases
i do press Flee, and it does put order in beginning of queue, then i unpause and BEFORE flee order "wait for signal" appears.
in enter menu (to leave seat) should be added number of unfinished orders remains, and default behavior order in short,
i.e. player should be aware what ship will do after leaving the seat, and button there to clear all orders and set default behavior to hold.

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 22:06

There should just be a tickbox in game options to "disable wait for undock" .

I'm currently using a mod to get rid of it.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 00:01

dmk wrote:
Sun, 9. Jan 22, 20:56
there is default behavior hold position, and it also should hold orientation(so no problem getting out with spacesuit),
that's it.
Please note that there's no manual order to "wait for signal", only automatic.
Sure ship can have "hold position" and will stay at the same place but will change orientation aligning self to the main plane.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 04:04

The best way is to probably just add it to the global/individual orders tables.

There are reasons to want the ship to stay, also reasons to want it to continue on its business without delay.
Being able to configure the orders let's players set their preference for different ships.

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 08:20

af_2017 wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 00:01
Please note that there's no manual order to "wait for signal", only automatic.
if players really want it, then it should be added manual(probably with another name) and added to enter menu (something like checkbox in enter menu for waiting for player return, that's obviously makes sense only if there are orders in queue or other default behavior than hold position), p.s. (fly/dock)&wait, wait part should be removed for default behavior hold position.
af_2017 wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 00:01
but will change orientation aligning self to the main plane.
again
dmk wrote:
Sun, 9. Jan 22, 20:56
it also should hold orientation
i.e. should not align itself with main plane on hold position, i don't see any problem with removing unnecessary features

but if player teleports out (especially when ship flying on travel drive) by default(no changes in global orders/ship behavior) ship should continue on travel drive if it is agrees with his order (which was on moment while player is sitting in captain chair).
p.s. player also should be allowed to give orders for ship he is flying to be executed after he leaves controls.
Last edited by dmk on Mon, 10. Jan 22, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Manawydn
x4

Post by Manawydn » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 09:02

@EGOSOFT, just give us a "checkbox" in options or somewhere like that. Let us determine whether we want a ship to automatically wait for us or not. It might be somewhat convenient early on without teleportation, but once we can teleport, it's fairly useless. As in, completely useless. I can simply teleport back if I want to go back to that specific ship. 99% of the time, "Wait for signal" "wait to undock" is a hassle, and pointless "feature" that I do not want in my game.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 10:04

It is for this reason that I spend most of my time as a passenger on one of my auto traders in sectors with music I like while I manage my empire. Anywhere I sit ft stops trade for any ship that docks, and late game one of my ships is likely to dock at any particular station every few minutes or so.

Nagittchi
x4

Post by Nagittchi » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 10:36

Something similar is when I take over an Asgard control because the garbage AI pilot can't handle a single Xenon I. So take the planet destroyer beam then teleport away.

Being a garbage pilot, it stays at Wait for Signal instead of returning to default order to guard the gate.

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 12:18

Nagittchi wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 10:36
Being a garbage pilot, it stays at Wait for Signal instead of returning to default order to guard the gate.
currently it is independent of stars, they just hard-coded to wait for player returns, or gives new order, few seconds after he leaves, if you give additional orders as soon as teleported (on pause) then "Wait for Signal" appears before your NEW orders, and if you forget about such "feature" then your ship would just wait for you, in my case i did give ship Flee order as soon as teleported out,
and was happy not to switch my attention from ship after i unpaused, because 1 sec after that BEFORE FLEE ORDER "Wait for Signal" appeared.

my point is such feature is no needed even for new players, they just would have ships in hold position behavior, and obviously in such behavior orders should be dock and fly,
because wait part is stupid.
but for new player should be information in enter menu about ship default behavior and how much orders left in queue.
and if player get up from captain chair, when docked to station, and current orders suggest of ondocking,
only then npc captain says that he will undock (without any soon, player should be able to intervene abort critical undock action, and dock again, if that's what he wish, and then clear all orders and set behavior to hold and wait in enter menu too.)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 17:20

If there is one and single feature that I'd want to erase from X4, it would be this one.

Like SERIOUSLY WTF!
I have several hundred hours of gameplay in X4 and I never, for a single time felt like I need this!
WORSE
I had several hundred situations when I was anoyed by this unwanted feature!

SERIOUSLY, WHY IS IT HERE?
Even if we would not have teleportation and in "one for a milion" situation where your ship run away from the station you walk...can't you simply call it back? At worst, you can simply jump to spacewalk if for some reason your ship cannot dock (station turn hostile? ).

This is simply most redundant and irritating feature in X4.

Erase this crap or at least make it global setting to turn off!

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 17:58

SirConnery wrote:
Sun, 9. Jan 22, 22:06
There should just be a tickbox in game options to "disable wait for undock" .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This!

Egosoft, if you have any quick QoL improvement you want to add into the game, put this down near the top of your list.
Pretty please! :D
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

tsathogguah

Post by tsathogguah » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 03:02

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Agreed that either a checkbox in options or perhaps a global command to turn this off would be very helpful.

At the moment, every few hours I check all my 300+ ships to see if any of them need the "Proceed with orders" command, and usually I find at least 15 to 20.

What's the mod to turn this off?

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 13:42

tsathogguah wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 03:02
What's the mod to turn this off?
"You don't have to wait for me"
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/221

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 16:29

As far as i can remember they carry on with their orders when you leave the station, otherwise they'll wait around.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 18:45

Actually, all you have to do is take command of another ship. You only get that response if you're walking around on the station. At least, that's been my experience. Even so, it can be very annoying.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 18:53

taztaz502 wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 16:29
As far as i can remember they carry on with their orders when you leave the station, otherwise they'll wait around.
Yes, but that's only good if you plan on leaving the station anytime soon.
And while you bring a very good point, I think my biggest issue is the case where you're on a station, and order one of your docked ships to go do something, just to instantly get the "I'll wait for you to tell me to take off" message.
After a few dozen times you'll find yourself screaming "I just told you to do exactly that you ****** moron!!!" at your monitor.

So yeah... it's practical early game, but we really need to be able to toggle this off at some point.

On the other hand, notice how your ships will do anything to avoid leaving you behind at a station, but have absolutely no problem with leaving you behind when you're EVA-ing. :? (Unless this changed in the last patch. I didn't play much recently.)
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 19:07

Ezarkal wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 18:53
On the other hand, notice how your ships will do anything to avoid leaving you behind at a station, but have absolutely no problem with leaving you behind when you're EVA-ing. :? (Unless this changed in the last patch. I didn't play much recently.)
The problem here is that the last order you give a pilot seems to stick as the default. An AI pilot will take control and try to follow the last order it was given, no matter how long ago or appropriate it may be. I always clear the order queue before letting an AI pilot take over. It's also why I never fly my personal ships with a backup pilot. They're always either marines or service crew until I need them.

Egosoft really needs to make sure the order queue gets cleared after an AI pilot completes a one-off order. :roll:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X4: Foundations”